We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Watanobbi, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Have just got back from an 11 night stay on Oahu & thought I'd share my wonderful experiences with everyone.

It might take a few days to write it all so please bare with me.

So here goes......

Myself & two daughters aged 16 & 19 flew with Jetstar from Sydney leaving 6pm Thursday night.

The flight was good, no complaints especially as it only cost just over $2000.00 for the three of us.

Day 1

After 10 hours & barely no sleep (I can never sleep on planes!) we arrived on time (7.45 am) Thursday morning Honolulu time & after a speedy exit through customs were met by a smiling Mark from Hawaii23 transport with our beautiful leis as promised.

After getting through some traffic congestion we were on our way to the Turtle Bay Resort where we would be staying for the next four nights.

Mark is a really nice guy & gave us a lot of information about Oahu & the different places we were passing through.

We arrived at the resort about 9.30 am & I was very impressed by what I saw.

In the back of my mind I am thinking "there's no way our room will be ready this early in the morning" but low & behold I am informed that there is a room available.

We open the door to our room & I am pleasantly surprised by how nice it is & then I walk to the sliding door to the balcony & am blown away by the beautiful view overlooking the pools & the bay.

After a quick change from our winter clothes & into our swimmers & shorts we are off to pick up our rental car from Enterprise in the lobby.

We are taken to our car which is a brand new Toyota Prius Hybrid. After being shown how to start it (no keys) & put it in gear I very apprehensively start it up & we are on our way!

I was a bit worried about driving on the other side of the road but I was surprised how quick I got used to it.

Our first stop is Ted's Bakery for brunch.

I order an iced coffee & a strawberry cream pie & the girls order burgers & fries.

I am a bit surprised when I am given my iced coffee as it is just black coffee with ice in it.

In Australia an iced coffee is white coffee with cream & ice cream in it. Oh well I'll know next time! Anyway the pie was yummy. The first of many I would consume over the next 10 days!

After I help the girls finish off their burgers we decide to head across the road to Sunset Beach which looked so beautiful & inviting. The sea was such a pretty aqua colour we couldn't wait to dive in.We sit down & strip down to our swimmers & then it starts to rain! We grab our clothes & race for the car. So much for sunning ourselves on the beach!

We decide to drive to Haliewa & check out the town. We finally get there after missing the turn off & hop out of the car & do a bit of shopping. Again something we would be doing a lot over the next 10 days!

Next stop is Motasumas Shave Ice. We join the line out the door & are pleasantly surprised by how fast it moves. We sit outside with everyone else & devour our large shave ice. These were a favourite with my girls.

By now it has stopped raining so we head to Turtle Beach & join the small crowd watching a couple of turtles in the shallow waters. After taking heaps of photos, I ended up taking just over 600 by the end of our holiday,( my girls reckon I must have been a Japanese tourist in my first life), we decide to go to foodland & stock up on our breakfast cereals & snacks & drinks.

We must have spent about an hour in there just checking out all the different kinds of lollies, chocolates etc that we don't have at home. So after purchasing the essentials & a couple of extra bags of lollies, chocolates & cream pies we then head back to the resort & unpack everything & settle into our room.

We get ready for dinner which we were going to head back to Haliewa for but it is raining quite heavily again so we decide to have dinner at the Palm Terrace restaurant in the resort.

The meal was quite nice but a bit expensive but I was already aware of that so it didn't come as a surprise.

We have a look around the stores in the resort, I take a few more photos & then we head back to the room as we are all getting very tired by now.

It doesn't take long & the girls are both asleep but it takes me a few more hours before I get to sleep as my mind is going a hundred miles an hour thinking of the great surprise I have arranged for the three of us tomorrow.....................

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Nice first day of your trip report. Iced coffee probably is served different ways in some parts of the states. Usually I experience it black, and we add our own creme or sugar according to taste. Is lollie a word for candy?

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Watanobbi, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Hi CAnative,

Yes lolly means candy. I forgot you call it that !

I did manage to find iced coffee made the way I like it at McDonalds which you call a Mocha Frapp`e.

Shelly Beach...
Level Contributor
269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Welcome home blondie59, boy it just seems like yesterday that you were leaving. Know what you mean about the lollies/chocolates in the supermarket, I always come home with heaps in my luggage. Looking forward to reading the rest of your report especially all the shopping news. 8 weeks till we go. Cheers, karyn

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Oh yeah, love the Mocha Frappe's at McDonalds!

Watanobbi, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Day 2

I woke up about 8am got up & looked out the window crossing my fingers its not raining & yay! the sun is out & its not raining so my surprise won't be cancelled as I feared.

I wake up the girls, have our cereals on the balcony admiring the view & then we are off.

The girls keep trying to guess what the surprise is as we make our way through the carpark, past our car & then we are there......at the helicopter office.

I had booked a 40 minute "Best of Oahu " flight for the three of us.

The girls were excited & so was I.

After the safety briefing we board the helicopter & off we go!

We head off down the coast past the shrimp farms, PCC, & then inland to see Sacred Falls which you can only see by helicopter.

Then we head down to Kualoa Ranch, past Chinamans Hat, Kanhoe Bay & then inland towards Pearl Harbour. We didn't fly over Waikiki but could see it in the distance on our lefthand side.Next we fly up through the middle of the island over the Dole Plantation & up to the North Shore beaches & back to Turtle Bay. I'd recommend this trip as the scenery was spectacuIar & I got some great photos. It also was much cheaper than they are in Australia.

After we had come down to earth, pardon the pun!, we got in the car & headed to Sharks Cove for some snorkeling. There were quite a few people there but it wasn't too bad. We saw a few fish but not a real lot & the coral wasn't much but I still managed to get a few MORE photos with my waterproof caseing on my camera.We were hoping to go to Wiamea Bay but there was no parking so we stopped on the side of the road for MORE photos.We then headed for Haliewa for lunch & more shaved ice, then we headed back to Sunset Beach & finally got to enjoy this beautiful beach without being rained on.

We then headed back to the resort & swam in the pool & I had my first lavaflow lying by the pool. What a life! Sam wasn't happy because she couldn't have one. She didn't think it was fair that you had to be 21 to drink alcohol in the US but back home you only have to be 18. Oh well I told her, you'll have to come back in 2 years time & try one then.

Later on we headed back to Haliewa again for dinner. Stopped at Jameson's but Emily, who is a fussy eater didn't like anything on the menu, so then we tried Haliewa Joes but it was packed out so we headed into town & ended up at Breakers. The meal was nice, I had Shrimp Scampi but the service was really slow.

We then headed back to the resort & went to bed early as we were all a bit sunburnt & worn out after another busy day in paradise.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Blondie59, love, love, love your report! I feel like I'm right there with you and your girls (well, except for the 'copter ride ... I don't do those!) What a wonderful experience for a Mom and two daughters to have ... can't wait for the rest! :-)

Watanobbi, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Thanks ArabellaA,

Yeah we had a great time, although at times they had their moods & a few bickering matches between them. But hey they're teenage girls, thats what they do.

Watanobbi, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Day 3

Woke up today & the weather was perfect, not a cloud in the sky.

Today we had the movie sites bus tour booked with Kualoa Ranch for 12 noon so we set out about 10am for a very scenic drive down the coast.

Stopped at one beach where there were a few campers, don't know the name of it & then arrived at the Ranch about half an hour early so went across the road to the park opposite Chinaman's Hat & took a few MORE photos.

I loved this side of the island with the mountain ranges all around you, it is so spectacular.

Did the movie tour which we all enjoyed as we watch lots of movies & Lost as well so recognised a lot of the places we stopped at.

After the tour we headed down to see Byodo Temple which was so pretty & peaceful. We saw a wedding party there & the groom & his bestman had 2 little pomeranian dogs dressed up in the wedding party. I had to take a couple of photos of that!

We were now getting quite hungry so headed across the road to Maccas for lunch & I finally got my iced coffee the way I like it! Maccas is much cheaper in the US than back at home.

Our last stop for the day was Kailua Beach as I had heard so much about it on TA & I wasn't disappointed. It is such a pretty beach. We spent a couple of hours there & then started our journey back to the resort arriving back there about 5 ish.

I was quite proud of myself & my driving as once we got near Kailua the roads got much busier & there was a few lanes on the highway not just one lane each way like on the North Shore & I didn't panic like I thought I would. We only got lost once which I thought was quite good seeing we didn't have GPS.

One thing I wanted to try on the North Shore was the shrimp trucks but I wasn't hungry each time we went past so was planning to go there this evening for dinner but when we ventured out again they were closed. So I didn't get to try it. Maybe next time. We ended up going to the L & L drivein for dinner at Laie which we didn't enjoy very much. Me & Sam had chinese which was just ok but Em had chicken & fries & the chicken wasn't fit to eat. It was yellow inside & really stringy so she just ate the fries.I was later told by Mark on our way to Waikiki not to eat at any L & L driveins but I told him "too late, we already did".

Headed back to the resort stopping on the way to fill up the car as we had to return it the next morning.

Another early night after a big day out.

adelaide
Level Contributor
276 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

Terriffic report Blondie,

Funny how we all speak english, but so differently. In the states my SIL always orders lemonade- and gets cordial. Then once you work it out and order sprite- they say we onlyhave 7up and vice versa.

Acording to my iPhone it is 3mths 14 days and 20 hrs til we arrive in Hawaii. Until then I will devour all the reports, yours is excellent, please continue.

Cheers

Watanobbi, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Trip Report As Promised, 26th August - 6th September.

jarox,

My daughter ordered a lemonade & actually got the homemade kind, or so it tasted like it. They put sugar around the top of the glass which she thought was cool.

I bet your devouring all the info on TA & addicted to it as much as I was before we left for our holiday

Edited: 8:44 pm, September 10, 2010