We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Theft @ Pinky's

Ne
14 posts
Save Topic
Beware Theft @ Pinky's

Just wanted to let everyone know that while we were dining our last night in Hawaii, at Pinky's in Kanohe someone broke into our car and stole our I-pod our video camera souvenirs and even our groceries we had for the plane ride home. We were sick everything replaceable but our video of Hawaii. They went from the glove compartment to under the seat to back seat to trunk. When we went to call the police from the restaurant the manager said it was the third time they were hit in 2 weeks. It's a shame they do not have security when they know they have a problem. They were very unconcearned about the incident which was even more unnerving. 4 hours of paid security would all they would need for their customers security. Our meal alone would have paid a good wage for a security guard for the night. We tried to be careful I had heard that Hawaii has alot of thieves praying on tourists but I let my guard down. Glad it did not happen until the last night anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Beware Theft @ Pinky's

Martinelli, I am very sorry your vacation ended in such a negative way. Being a local, I have dined at Pinky’s over 30 times and have never had any problems. My guess is your rental car was the target because it means you’re a tourist. These thieves are low-life’s and drugy’s who basically target tourist because there will be fewer repercussions (you are less likely to file a police report and if you catch them, you and you’re your family are less likely to beat them up). And unfortunately, there is allot of resentment from locals toward tourists vacationing in Kailua and other coastal residential & rural towns and that’s how they justify their actions.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Beware Theft @ Pinky's

uh oh..don't get Martinelli going..he was NOT in a rental car..

Oahu
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Beware Theft @ Pinky's

PeterKailua wrote,

"you’re your family are less likely to beat them up). And unfortunately, there is allot of resentment from locals toward tourists vacationing in Kailua and other coastal residential & rural towns and that’s how they justify their actions."

How would one of your druggy thieves even know if someone is staying in Kailua unless the person renting the car left a sign on the dashborad that says 'I'm staying in Kailua so its ok to smash the car window and rob me'. Why do you dislike tourists so much that you are writing these fantasy stories?

Mentioned in this post
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Fairmont, West...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Beware Theft @ Pinky's

We were victimized our first day vacationing on Oahu (near Kompeli) of personal possessions from a rental car. Learned the hard way, after the fact, that sadly this is a common event on Oahu. Also was told Kailua (where we stayed) was even worse. I've made several posts and replies and won't go into the gory details here --- bottom line -- Leave nothing in your car -- Nothing --- Anywhere!!!! And I sympathize with you re: all can be replaced but the loss of pixs and time and frustration in dealing with the theft.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
st pete, fla
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Beware Theft @ Pinky's

wow itravellight he just won't give up...anything can be spun into a DON'T STAY at illegal vacation rentals theme huh :)

he even posts on Yahoo travel boards

anyway - yes...common sense..nothing of value in car ever...i live in FL and i follow the same rules here. It just makes sense.

Ne
14 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Beware Theft @ Pinky's

Vintageladylinda

So sorry you had items stolen. I know exactly how you feel. It's an awful feeling

hopefully our post will help other people.

Our insurance did help us out but with our deductable still had a loss. Still not over the loss of our tape of vacation. The sorry SAPS!!!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Beware Theft @ Pinky's

As a park ranger at Redwood National Park (in the north boondocks of Calif.) I spent weeks sitting in the bushes trying to catch a car burglar (we were finally lucky and got the SOB). The bottom line is this, no matter where you are in the world you can't leave anything in your car if you want it when you get back. But in each and every case we had the tourist had left valuables in plain sight (purses with passports, cameras wallets etc). You can hear the same story from Italy to Holland to Hawaii. If your stuff is in your car stay with it...if it isn't just leave it unlocked to keep the idiots from breaking a window.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States