We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report July 2010

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
161 reviews
100 helpful votes
Trip report July 2010

Moving this post to new title as trip report.

Omg,  this place is so amazing.  It's hot but cool breezes.  Not warm but coooollll.  Sort of like our perfect september day with much hotter sun. With a hint of flowers in the air.  I just swam with a wild sea turtle,  he wasn't as excited to see me as I was to see him. But he checked me out anyway.    Fresh seared Ahi and shrimp cocktail with the best pineapple I could ever imagine.  Ripens on the vine here can't even tell you the taste difference. It's like a whole different fruit. Cherry tomatoes taste like candy. The ocean here well,  I've had to add new colors to my color wheel.  The blues are deep and surreal and the green is iridescent like it would glow in the dark. Fresh red ginger tops trees and hibiscus and jasmine and plumeria and orchids grow wild everywhere.

Why wasn't I born here?   It has made me want to work harder to have more money to come here.  

On Oahu we stayed at Hilton Hawaiian village on Waikiki beach.  This place was unbelievable, penguins, coi, fire works,  shops.  Pools, slides.  They had a fresh water lagoon where you could rent paddle boards and paddle boats and kayaks.  Adam learned to kayak and paddle board. They have a time share tower I plan to buy here in the near future. It was a kids paradise and parents dream.

I wish you could all share this with me, amazing.

Sent from my iPhone

Christina Wells RN

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
161 reviews
100 helpful votes
11. Re: Trip report July 2010

After PH we drove on the H3, I believe, heading to PCC. This is the most stunning road I have ever seen. In the spring, where I live, in the first breaths of spring when a field or farmland grows it's first grass it is the most vibrant color of green. To me it's always ahhhh summer is coming... All of these cliffs and rock mountains are covered with this spring green. Luminscent rising so high above you. One jumping forth after another not letting the one before steal all the the majestic glory. Every top a little different never failing to grab your attention. Then through tunnels revealing new awe inspiring views. We are like idiots driving around oohing and ahhing over the beauty. With shots of steel blue on the other side occasionally. I thought DH would surely wreck the car. Finally on the opposite coast there is ocean to the right of us. So many shades of blue you can't choose the most beautiful. Rock and tree formations of such variety. Flowers and plants in such variety.

At first you stop and take a picture. At this one and that one and then I just pull out the video camera cause I can't stand not to take this home with me in some form. I know why Hawaii becomes a passion, I see how nature changes things every day and I can just feel like no two days are the same. So one could never " get use to it".

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
161 reviews
100 helpful votes
12. Re: Trip report July 2010

Only so much text on the iPhone.

So, we stop in a little town and eat at a hopping locals joint called Uncle Bobo's.. No ac, few tables in few out. Mostly carry out. You hang out and realize for mid say middle of week this place is hopping. We order DS hamburger, DA and self BbQ ribs and rice. Pineapple slaw. DH BBQ Brisket Sandwich. All cooked while we waited a reasonable amount of time. Nice lady chef bringing out each thing as it was ready. Picky kid, loved it.... Thank goodness kids can be so finicky. All the food was good. French fries exactly the right amount of crispy. Sat outside looking at the ocean enjoying the breeze and just chowing on some super home cooked plates!

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
161 reviews
100 helpful votes
13. Re: Trip report July 2010

Most of you know how kids can be... Bored on long drives. Gotta take the DS and portable TV or whatever their deal is. So we got all this stuff with us. But DS not touching it. Enjoying the views the vibe the air. Saying let's get a convertible. So nice, he's all involved learning asking questions and talking all about the history and current events.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
41 reviews
236 helpful votes
14. Re: Trip report July 2010

Yum! Uncle Bobo's sounds great! I had to look it up! http://unclebobos.com/index.html

Snohomish...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,570 posts
19 reviews
59 helpful votes
15. Re: Trip report July 2010

Keep it coming kiss, I'm enjoying the ride!

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
161 reviews
100 helpful votes
16. Re: Trip report July 2010

Thoughts in the PCC. You have to wait in a shortesh line to get your tickets. Hint arrive a little early. It takes time to see the shows all interesting. Samoa was the best. If you go say hi to Me so handsome for us! We had a guide which was good for us. We didn't have enough time to do all we wanted to even though arrived at 12ish. It was soooo hot here they could use some of those huge Disney fans. Met a vomiting girl in the bathroom with heat stroke. Coarse with all her symptoms she probably was pregnant too, but I didn't ruin the surprise.... Sssshhhhhh. Saw New Zealand show and this was very colorful all the ball swinging was really fascinating. Loved the lagoon Boat parade. Beautiful. They come around selling huge ice cream for 5 bucks. We bought one but was surprised it had very little flavor.. They should work on that. Really tired and hot and hungry during luau so missed most of the show. Few choices on the food and really not very good. The chicken was the best choice very tasty. Ha breath of life was really Creative. Tells the story of a life from birth on. Very well done and wonderful. Lots of songs and dancing and colors and outfits. If your a history buff allow a couple days for the meat of this. Much more potential than we had time for. The landscaping is gorgeous and trees and flowers really deserves a much slower inspection. All the guides call you cousin and the aloha spirit was tip Top. Our cousin wouldn't accept a tip. Even at the airports in Hawaii the attendants who helped with the wheelchair wouldn't take the tips. On the mainland this was expected. Oh yeah at one point we were so tired I ordered a Chimp salad and everyone in my group cried laughing. Of coarse they were tired too. Shrimp not chimp...,

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,393 posts
17. Re: Trip report July 2010

Nice trip report.

"Oh yeah at one point we were so tired I ordered a Chimp salad and everyone in my group cried laughing. Of coarse they were tired too. Shrimp not chimp...,"

Maybe in some countries around the world!

Fernandina Beach...
Level Contributor
258 posts
10 reviews
14 helpful votes
18. Re: Trip report July 2010

Loving the trip report! So glad you're having fun and getting the experience. What did I tell ya? Hawaii is an 'experience'!! It just gets in you... can't wait to hear the rest. I'm so excited for your Big Island trip, gonna have to live vicariously through you. :)

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
161 reviews
100 helpful votes
19. Re: Trip report July 2010

Oahu really is a big city, but they handle it better than any I've seen. For the most part it's clean and well maintained with lots of of culture and charm. Charm is hard for a big city, some areas reminded me of Miami Beach north, lots of high rises ect. I could spend some time here there is tons to explore and fun to be had. No one trip will reveal it all. I see layers like an onion each part you learn will only reveal a new layer.

The Hilton was pretty wonderful. The convenience was a pleasure. It is a vacation unto

itself. We ate at the tropics bar and grill. I thought we would need to skip it and when I told the hostess we had a plane to catch she seated us immediately. Portion sizes were not large and prices were but the food was good. So no surprises there. 80 bucks for lunch. The G PS helped a lot, but also derailed us a few times. Taking us way out of our way to get to places that should have been routed differently. Also it's pronunciation of the street names was a hoot. Cam me ha me ha rd funny stuff. Ishipped at the PCC and found a matching larimar ring and a fishy necklace.. I am a fish freak so my husband had to get it for me.

I love how you can be burning up from the sun and then a cool breeze or spritz gives you goose bumps. Trade winds are cool and refreshing not like Florida or the Carribean where it's hot wind if any at all. You are almost always comfortable. Rarely ever sweating like home. The weather is incredible. No place like it that I know of. The water was perfect. Cooler than the carribean but refreshing you adjust almost immediately. I have not felt the need for wet suits or such. Rash guard to avoid sun burn only.

My husband made a statement why do all the 50 year old guys look so terrible here? I looked and said cause there 70. Oohhh, now he gets it. The life style is more user friendly.

Oh yea, we love community soap. If you don't know this then here goes.. All the beaches with public showers generally have a bar of soap on top. The sand here doesn't really just spray off like at home. It's more fine. Locals don't try to interact with tourists like at the beaches and stuff. They're real friendly but stay to themselves. Locals shop at KTA.

Snorkeling is subjective just like all the experts say. Depends on prior experience and level

Of ability. What I may think is horrible another could love cause they have less knowledge.

Loved flying GO! Each checked bag 50lbs or less 10 bucks. Real nice people with lots of Aloha. At the end of our flight the captain had the co pilot show my son the cockpit and all the gadgets. He loved that. I was incredibly sorry to leave Oahu can't wait to return. Thankfully DH feels the same way. Hopefully returning soon. On to the Big Island.

Aloha

Edited: 4:44 am, July 16, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
41 reviews
236 helpful votes
20. Re: Trip report July 2010

So sad that your Oahu portion has come to an end! Thanks for sharing. I very much enjoyed reading your report.