We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report July 2010

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report July 2010

Moving this post to new title as trip report.

Omg,  this place is so amazing.  It's hot but cool breezes.  Not warm but coooollll.  Sort of like our perfect september day with much hotter sun. With a hint of flowers in the air.  I just swam with a wild sea turtle,  he wasn't as excited to see me as I was to see him. But he checked me out anyway.    Fresh seared Ahi and shrimp cocktail with the best pineapple I could ever imagine.  Ripens on the vine here can't even tell you the taste difference. It's like a whole different fruit. Cherry tomatoes taste like candy. The ocean here well,  I've had to add new colors to my color wheel.  The blues are deep and surreal and the green is iridescent like it would glow in the dark. Fresh red ginger tops trees and hibiscus and jasmine and plumeria and orchids grow wild everywhere.

Why wasn't I born here?   It has made me want to work harder to have more money to come here.  

On Oahu we stayed at Hilton Hawaiian village on Waikiki beach.  This place was unbelievable, penguins, coi, fire works,  shops.  Pools, slides.  They had a fresh water lagoon where you could rent paddle boards and paddle boats and kayaks.  Adam learned to kayak and paddle board. They have a time share tower I plan to buy here in the near future. It was a kids paradise and parents dream.

I wish you could all share this with me, amazing.

Sent from my iPhone

Christina Wells RN

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,523 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report July 2010

Day 1

Unable to sleep way to excited. Clock went off 2:30am. Oh well. Arrived airport 4:30 for 630 flight. First flight sweet, very quiet, uneventful. Second flight cancelled. Yikes. Not only cx but your now on your own tough luck. Travel agency rebooked us. 6 hour lay over fly to Maui then 2 hour lay over fly to HNL. Gee whiz I'm up 40 some hours and family over 24. So exhausted. 10 pm Hawaii time, 4 am my time check on to HHV. Ocean view looked over lagoon and harbor, really pretty nice. No complaints, spacious rooms, free coffee. My aunt loved the mattress but not so great for me. Used valet and liked it. Sleep time. Used Alamo, full size car got a Impala. Not impressive, but did the Job. More later

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report July 2010

It's truly magical. Thank you for taking me there by reading your post. Makes me all the more anxious for our trip next month! Enjoy the rest of your time.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report July 2010

So over tired I slept very little up at 5 am. Let the family sleep. Walked over to the Kalia tower, I think, for Starbucks and milk for cereal. Loved the theming of the HHV shopping area. Pagoda style really beautiful. Loved the white flowers on vines hanging down from the roofs everywhere. Ponds, waterfalls and Coi ponds. I thought this was a fabulously beautiful place. Could have spent a day wondering around. Woke the family and admired the view over the lagoon. Greeted with a mega rainbow..smile... It was all going to be fine. Had to regroup and replan due to the lost day. So no snorkeling north shore, oh well. Went to Hanauma Bay. Really enjoyed the drive stopped at a overlook that was quite nice. This side of the island reminded me of the carribean, especially Venezula.

Arrived Hanauma Bay, waited in long line, then watched video. Beautiful views here. Beach was so nice, just loved it. Unfortunetly the snorkeling was poor. Lots of dead coral, few fish, and little variety. So, so, sorry. Saw the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a fish, but some little Japanese boy was chasing it. Now he was actually running with fins on crunching through the coral and I was stunned. My kid pulled off his mask and started yelling Mommy, Mommy stop him. Well, he was gone. My child snorkeled wonderfully and was so careful! Smile... Pride....

It drizzled, no one cared. We just kept having fun.

We then drove up to Lanikai. Wow, picture perfect beach. How do you describe something so perfect? If this place is on earth then what must heaven look like? Gorgeous teal, foamy, iridescent water with white sand and a little island off shore.,. Unbelievable.

Back to HHV. DH and Aunt napped. Adam and I went to the Lagoon. Glistening pools and amazing Waikiki beach views. Views of Diamond head met us, with lots of snack and drink places easy access. Pricey but not that bad at all. Went to the slide pool. Very cool, well themed and thought out, though a little smallish for all the kids in it. Needed to wear your bracelet to enter here. My 9 year old lost interest in about 20 minutes. Only one good slide for this age group.

We went to lagoon and DS rented paddle board. He got up no problem. ;-). He loved this activity many Tweens were doing this... All seemed to love it. I tried to sit on the front with him standing but laughed so hard I rolled the board. Hint... Get on with them in the shallow water.

Back to room and got all dressed up for Alan Wong's. Reasonable prices for a fancy 5 star place. Froie Gras was amazing, seafood cakes and ahi. I didn't love the sauce with ahi but DH did. DS had penne and marinara. Mango tomato salad was tasty but busy alot of strong flavors going on. Sort of undid itself. Aunt had short ribs-fabulous, I had talipia and Mahi - good, husband had pink snapper. I thought the fish was just ok but husband ate mine and his and raved. Now he is the foddie not me..

Shopping coming soon.. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,154 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,619 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,523 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Alan Wong's Restaurant
Alan Wong's Restaurant
1,534 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report July 2010

Loving your report. Keep going...

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report July 2010

Great trip report and the most beautiful introduction I have ever read to a trip report. My sentiments exactly. I love Oahu!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report July 2010

Sonia, she really hit that right on the head, her Oahu description!

Looking forward to more!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report July 2010

Ok, our time on Oahu extremely limited and now a day wasted so we shopped at HHV with no time to compare. I loved it first of all. Tons of upscale shops yeah! The jewelry shops were all giving discounts 40% then another 10 then no tax. Whew. ... Who knows if i over paid? I found the most wonderful Marahlago Larimar necklace. Sterling chunks inlaid with larimar and Mother of pearl. Reminds me of the iridescent quality of the water. Ended up paying 319.00 but it is soooo sweet- had to have it.... Sorry credit card I'm making up for lost time.... Now I want a ring and necklace!!!!

Into t shirt shops nice shirts 30-40$ nah I'll pass... But real nice...

Into Blue Ginger, ah oh love it!!!! Upscale light cotton ladies wear with amazing island color prints. Matching stuff for kids, hats, purses, and bags. Two pull overs light weight white background , teal and blue gorgeous mine!!!

Ok now ABC store... Where I live SC and Florida beach towns have these big stores at the beach called Wings. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Well ABC Is smaller much more upscale, and cheaper with better stuff. Except maps they cost 7$. Any way, let's see, t shirts, towels, key chains, cigars, liquer, food, souveniers, chocolates, tiki dolls, pretty much you name it they have some version. Now it's packed in tight like a drum. So when they're busy you can't move around. I lost my husband for 20 minutes in a store 60x20.

Well, my child is asleep in a rocker in front of a store. So, I gotta stop. Good thing, tired takes away all shopping inhibitions. Watch out, cause even hubbie was like yeah, get this and that. :-()

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
791 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report July 2010

Awesome review! Love it!

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report July 2010

Day 3 Pearl Harbor. Up early, at gate for tickets 8:00 Boat time 9:15. DH and DS did the audio tour. Narrated by Ernest Bourgenine. Husband liked it a lot. Watched the movie, really well done. Was afraid it would really dis the Japanese people, but no classy. When you get over be aware your time is limited. Maybe 20 minutes. Priceless activity. Both my father and my husbands father fought in wars. Mine Korea and his ww2 on a sub in Hawaii. Sad made us think heavily of them. There's a great book with pictures for sale there. The Author was there talking and autographing so we got two. Also 4 of the last six survivors were there. We met them and shook their hands talked with them and they all signed our books. Amazing, amazing what a blessing. So memorable for my son. I showed him the movie Pearl Harbor prior to leaving and he followed it all better than me. No surprise there. Nonsleeping girl still not on her game.

Mentioned in this post
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
159 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report July 2010

Thanks for such a great trip report - very enjoyable! Your color wheel is great - adjectives all around are transporting.

Love it