We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near Outrigger Reef

New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Parking near Outrigger Reef

Parking is $18 a day -that's as much as our rental car :) Are there any cheaper parking options in Waikiki near the Outrigger Reef on the Beach?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking near Outrigger Reef

I *think* there's 24-hour parking on Saratoga, but I could be wrong about that, and even if I'm not spots there are hard to come by. Parking in Waikiki is very tough, which is why the hotels can get away with charging so much.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,587 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking near Outrigger Reef

The Reef has got so few stalls relative to the size of the hotel that they really DON'T want you parking there. And, in addition to the $18 per day, they typically allow only Valet parking, which means there is time and a tip involved too.

There is a two-level parking lot one-half block up Beach Walk from the Reef, on the left...It is behind the Ohana Reef Lanais Hotel.

Beyond the combination of sheer lack of space in Waikiki and having so many cars to deal with, it doesn't help that the redevelopment in the Lewers Street area has taken out several hundred stalls during construction and that Outrigger controls most of the spots in the neighborhood (which they lease to a concessionaire).

You might try the garage in the Waikiki Parc (just down Kealia Road across from Halekulani), or the Sheraton Waikiki/Royal Hawaiian Parking Center garage, but it will be tough to find parking for less than $12 to $15 daily.

New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking near Outrigger Reef

Would you say it is worth it to rent a car? We will be there for 6 days. Would you guess it is cheaper to rent a car and pay for parking/gas or just rely on taxis/tours/public transportation? I've heard the Bus takes a long time to get places- I read about what would be a 30min trip taking 2 hours on the Bus! Our time in Oahu is precious! :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,587 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking near Outrigger Reef

Unless you need your car daily for business or to meet some other regimented time schedule, I alway recommend to my friends staying in Waikiki to plan for a few days of their stays with a rental car, a few days using the bus for in town sightseeing and shopping, and to hang out a few days in Waikiki (from Ala Moana Beach to Kapiolani Parks).

Decide ahead of time what days you want to use the car for...seek out and book those separate days on-line with pick-up to be at a nearby location in Waikiki. Get the car early in the morning, cruise for the day, and drop it off in the evening (some will even allow you a later turn-in time). NO HOTEL PARKING COSTS...

And, even though it is a toss-up whether you will have to pay more than for an airport pick-up (sometimes Waikiki is a few bucks more a day) you save more than enough in parking and special airport fees and taxes.

Also, every Oahu guest should visit Downtown, the dozen or so blocks running along King Street which include the first missionary houses (now museum), Hawaii's most famous and historic church, the government campus (great architecture and vast lawns/landscaping), the State Library, the Capitol, Iolani Palace, the Financial District and Chinatown. And, you definitely won't want a car that day, its only 15 minutes by bus (max) from Waikiki, parking is fierce and expense ($25 per day).

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,587 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking near Outrigger Reef

Regarding The Bus....Honolulu's system is really top-notch, it goes almost everywhere and is the sole source of transportation for many in the community. However, as traffic has worsened and the population grown over the years bus times naturally lengthened.

For travel in and around central Honolulu, the bus is clean, convenient, cheap, no parking, runs fequently and can get you where you are going in just a little longer than a car would. Particularly for runs from Waikiki to Ala Moana, the Ward Centers or Downtown/Chinatown the bus is a solid choice. But when you start talking longer distances, as to the airport, Pearl Harbor, or (heaven forbid) the North Shore, taking the bus becomes painfully longer then driving a car.

Also, being on the bus, looking at the people, hearing their dialects, seeing what they wear, what they are bringing home from the grocery, what they are studying...provides an insight into the incredibly diverse Honolulu community that you will otherwise not likely get.

However, with a car you will undoubtedly get to experience on at least one occasion the Oahu rush hour crawl...one of the islands best kept secrets from the mainland.

Cascade, Iowa
Level Contributor
425 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking near Outrigger Reef

I would definitely recommend renting a car for the entire trip. We were there for a week in March and had a car the entire time. We used it everyday but one - the day we spent on Maui. We drove ourselves to Pearl Harbor, North Shore (twice), Haunama Bay, Pali Outlook, Tantalus/Round Top. Normally we did our driving in the morning and spent the afternoon/evening around Waikiki. Our parking was only $10/day at the Radisson. Our travel agent tried to tells us that we didn't need a car. Soooo glad we didn't listen. We liked being able to get up early in the morning and go on our own schedule. We also never really had that much of a problem with traffic.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking near Outrigger Reef

You could park at the Hale Koa parking garage...it's not all that far from the Reef. I don't remember what non-military parking rates are...but I'm pretty sure it's less than $18 a day.