We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 night trip report

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
3 night trip report

We just returned from a 6/3 night Maui/Oahu split trip. Below is the TR for the Oahu portion. The Maui portion can be found here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k309063…

Day 1 - We arrived into HNL at 1:30pm and headed to Thrifty to pick up our rental and to the Sheraton where we would be staying for 3 nights. Upon checkin we asked for a Diamonhead/Oceanview room. No problem! Gorgeous, postcard view! The room was ok. Very sparse furnishings and small bathroom, but we were only there for 3 days and for the price we paid, we were very happy. We were hungry by then and headed to Puka Dog for lunch. This was one of our favorites throughout the islands. It was quick and casual. I had the hot/starfruit/lilikoi combo and DH had banana and coconut. We split a shave ice which was some of the best of both islands we visited. We spent the rest of the time shopping at Waikiki. For dinner we ventured to the food court at the Waikiki Shopping Plaza (?) across from the Royal Hawaiian and had ramen. It was very good and authentic, as evident from all the Japanese patrons.

Day 2 - Up by 5 and headed to Dillingham Field for our powered hangliding w/ Paradise Air. This is a small company owned by husband and wife team of Tom and Denise. They were both wonderful and knowledgable about the island. I would say this is a must do. You get truly a birds eye view of the entire North Shore and get to fly it if you wish. I was too chicken but DH flew it right from the start. We both purchased the dvd and pics afterward. We decided to circle the island and explore the entire North Shore and most of the East Shore. We stopped of a Matsumoto's for shave ice. It was ok. The shave ice at Puka Dog was actually better and much finer shave. Great views but we did not go swimming. On our way back to town we stopped off at Liliha Bakery for cocoa puffs to go. They were truly amazing. My favorite was the green tea! For dinner we ate at Dukes. Nothing special. I had the fish and chips and they were ok. I actually had better at a food court in Maui.

Day 3 - Pearl Harbor Day. We spent nearly the entire day at the sites, starting off at USS Arizona Memorial and then heading off to the Bowfin Submarine, the USS Missouri, then the Air Museum. This is a definate must do in Oahu, to pay homage for those who lost their lives that day. The USS Arizona was very sobering. I was slightly annoyed at a group of obnoxious girls who seemed they were only there to gather pictures for their facebook pages. They were loud and in my opinion very inappropriate. We didn't return to our hotel until about 4pm so grabbed a quick bite and rested up for the night. We ventured out at around 8pm to the Hale Koa for their cheap drinks then back to our area for more bar hopping. We had a late dinner at Denny's which hit the spot w/ the eggs and spam breakfast!

Day 4 - We went back to Puka Dog one last time, did some shopping and headed to the airport. Very short, but fun trip to Oahu. With how busy Waikiki is as compared to Maui, I think 3 nights was enough.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Shopping Plaza
Waikiki Shopping Plaza
130 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Paradise Air
Paradise Air
499 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,056 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Liliha Bakery
Liliha Bakery
533 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
167 Reviews
Oahu, HI
USS Arizona Memorial
USS Arizona Memorial
23,514 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hale Koa Hotel
Hale Koa Hotel
2,136 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Denny's
Denny's
1,029 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,304 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 night trip report

Sorry that you got to see so little of Honolulu - outside of Waikiki ... and that your diet was so limited.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 night trip report

Thanks for the report.

We also like Puka Dog and I have also been to the one on Kauai and I though the one in waikiki was better I know same ingredients but it still tasted better.

Next trip gotta go to Lihia Bakery to try a cocoa puff.

Mentioned in this post
Puka Dog
Puka Dog
3,077 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 night trip report

"Sorry that you got to see so little of Honolulu - outside of Waikiki ... and that your diet was so limited. "

Agreed. It's unfortunate that you didn't get to experience any of Oahu's beaches and other sights. and with so many incredible restaurants in Waikiki alone, you went to Puka Dog twice and had dinner at denny's?

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
United States
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 night trip report

Thanks for the report.

TA ers let's not be judgmental of others choices. Maybe I'll be eating at dennys the last three days of my trip. I've got a budget to try to stick to also.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 night trip report

Calling_In_Sick said, "Very short, but fun trip to Oahu. With how busy Waikiki is as compared to Maui, I think 3 nights was enough."

I think the "3 nights was enough" is what rankles a little, when the poster is comparing Oahu to Maui. I think what some of us Oahu-lovers may feel is that that is an unfair judgment when the poster saw and experienced SO LITTLE of what makes Oahu wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
maryland
Level Contributor
174 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 night trip report

Calling_in_Sick - thanks so much for your trip report. I am so thankful to anyone who takes their time to share their experience and it sounds like you totally enjoyed your short time there.

TN
Level Contributor
529 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 night trip report

Thanks for the great report. Especially appreciate the info about Paradise Air. My husband is thinking about doing this in December with either Paradise Air on Oahu or Hang Glide Maui on Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Air
Paradise Air
499 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 night trip report

We love visiting Oahu and we make sure we get out and explore. I also went to Kauai in may and while I hade a great time there it's a beautiful island with great beaches I didn't like it anymore than visiting Oahu. If the OP enjoyed Maui more thats ok to each his own. On our next trip we plan on adding on another island besides Oahu maybe Maui, maybe Big Island not sure which yet.

As far as eating thats a personal choice not everyone goes to the more expensive places we usually eat at the cheaper places, although we do try to skip the national chains and avoid fast food places although local chains are ok and I do like Mickey D's coffee and one of our favorites is Ezogiku on Koa st in waikiki. I know in may my daughter ate there twice and the last tiem my husband and I went together we ate there 3 times we just really enjoy the food there and it doesn't break the bank.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
United States
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 night trip report

What type of food does ezogoku have?

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 night trip report

It is a japanese ramen place has excellent ramen and gyoza. There are 3 in Waikiki the one on Koa behind the Hyatt,one on Kalakaua ave and one at Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center in food court.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kalakaua Ave
Kalakaua Ave
139 Reviews
Oahu, HI