We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July8-15

Chehalis
Level Contributor
136 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July8-15

I've had a few days to gather my htoughts since we've returned so wanted to share our experience with others. There were seven of us, four adults and three teen girls, two separate flights. That was the first mistake! The Alaska Air flight was supposed to arrive within a few minutes of the NWA, but was delayed over two hours. I had reserved a car using VIP car rental since they were more than $600 cheaper ($300 rather than +$900) for a minivan from Alamo than I could get even with my Costco discount! Took shuttle to Alamo, no problems with terms (extra driver, no charge)picked up van and headed for our condo. We stayed at the Imperial, rented thru vrbo #179068 from Karl and Penny. First time we've used vrbo so I was a little hesitant but everything was just as promised and we really enjoyed having the extra room and full kitchen. Our son had their pov condo just down the hall and was equally happy. After the remainer of our group finally arrived we caught the bus to Paradise Cove Luau to celebrate my dh birthday. We'd been there before but first time for the teenagers. The food was standard Luau fare and I thought the entertainment wasn't as good as a couple years ago but everyone else seemed to enjoy it.

Thursday we picked up snorkel gear from Snorkel Bob's, a couple cases of water from Safeway just up the street from there and headed towards the North

Shore. We stopped at The Dole plantaion for a quick walk through the pineapple garden and had the plate lunch. Very reasonably priced and pretty good, especially the pork. Continued on to North Shore where we swam and snorkeled before going to Waimalanalo (?sp)Beach where it was much calmer. The girls enjoyed using boogie boards there. After a stop at the Blowhole, we headed back to Waikiki. Had dinner at Jimmy Buffets (food okay, good drinks)before ending our first full day.

Friday we went to Hanauma Bay so the girls could snorkel again. Left there about 11, spent the rest of the day between the beach and checking out Waikiki. Did a sunset cruise with Outrigger. We all really enjoyed that. Unlimited drinks, both alcholic and non; personable crew and great views! Dinner at Keoni's.

Saturday we went to the swap meet. Seemed like they didn't have as many vendors or the variety as in the past. A couple hours was plenty to spend there! From there we headed to the Bishop Museum, only to find they were closing early for a special funtion, so we decided to go to Chinatown. Had an excellant early dinner at My Lan Vietnamese Resturaunt.

Sunday was a relaxing day, beach, shopping, ect. Went to Bishop Museum in the afternoon. Part of it is closed for renovation or something so there really wasn't much to see--big disappointment and waste of money! I think the Hawaiian Hall is supposed to reopen next month but I wouldn't bother going there without checking first.

Monday morning the rest of the group went to Pearl Harbor. The girls were really impressed and learned a lot. When they returned we went to the Pali Lookout and then continued to the PCC, arriving just in time for the canoe pageant. We visited some of the villages, then went to the Luau. We only did the luau so we would have better seats for the show since I hadn't been impressed with the luau set-up three years ago. It had improved a little, at least you could move your chair this time! The food was standard luau food, okay but not outstanding. I think the buffet actually has better food but it's not always possible to upgrade the seats for the show, especially during busy season. The show was great, as always and everyone agreed PCC was their favorite activity on the trip.

Tuesday was our last full day so that meant more beach time (Ala Moana Park)and shopping. For dinner, the girls chose to go the Cheesecake Factory since we don't have one in our area while we went to the Shorebird where we had a table on the rail. We weren't sure about the idea of cooking our own meat but it turned out to be fun! The meat was obviously prime grade and very tender and flavorful. The buffet was plentiful and varied, could have been a meal by itself.

Wednesday morning, time to do the last minute packing and prepare to return to reality! Did we do everything we wanted to this week? No, but that leaves something for next time!

Mentioned in this post
Costco
Costco
93 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Paradise Cove Luau
Paradise Cove Luau
2,321 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,037 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,154 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Bishop Museum
Bishop Museum
2,424 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
159 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,275 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,343 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July8-15

Nice trip report.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July8-15

thanks for sharing. glad you had a nice time.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July8-15

I enjoyed reading your report!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July8-15

Nice report, piloti5, and thank you for sharing! I loved the evening show at PCC ... I'll bet you're planning your next trip to Hawaii already! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report July8-15

nice report, we'll be there 8/7-8/14 and seems like forever!! who did you do the sunset sail through? do you remember the price? looking to do one with my bf while we're there.

Chehalis
Level Contributor
136 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report July8-15

Outrigger sunset sail, on the beach by Outrigger Reef. I think regular price was about $36, we got a price break since my son is retired Navy.

WA state
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report July8-15

We'll be staying at Karl and Penny's condo soon. I'm glad to hear that you liked it there! If you have any helpful tips or any info that you think would make our stay excellent, please let me know!

8. Re: Trip Report July8-15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, January 19, 2010
;