We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kualoa Ranch

EP
Orange Park, FL
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Kualoa Ranch

One of the highlights of our most recent trip to Oahu was taking the 2-hour ATV tour of Kualoa Ranch.

What magnificent scenery!!

Although we haven't seen the tv show "Lost," yet, this is where some of it is filmed.

(after being there, tho, we're going to buy the newly released dvd and catch up!)

Parts of "Jurriasic Park", "Windtalkers", "Godzilla", and many other movies have also filmed on this beautiful property.

The ATV ride was challenging at times, and a couple of people had some difficulties traversing some of the rougher parts like thru steams and up and over some pretty rough terrain.

If I had seen a preview of some of the stuff we were to ride thru, I just may have been hesitant, as I'm not as ypung as I once was! But, boy was I tickled with myself for doing it!

I highly recommend reservations before actually getting to Oahu, as when we were there a few months before, they were all booked for the entire week that we were there. This time, we got reservations before we left home.

This was absolutely one of the highlights of this trip!

Bring a camera for the few times that you stop to stretch your legs and take it all in. You can't take photos while riding the ATV's, as it would hold everybody up as well as be distracting to your driving. You REALLY have to pay close attention to where you're going!

The ranch also offers horseback riding, and open bus tours, as well. Check it out!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kualoa Ranch

We loved it as well. Unfortunately the age of our son kept us from the ATV tour but the 6 wheel drive Swiss military vehicle tour was a real kick.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kualoa Ranch

I am staying in Oahu, at waikiki beach for my honeymoon...I am a big fan of the show lost and I read in your post that its being filmed there....where exactly?? Did you see any cast members? Please tell me where in Oahu this was cus when i go for my honeymoon im hoping to see the tv filiming location.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kualoa Ranch

There are quite a few posts on this forum about "Lost" filming locations, and here is a snippet from an article:

>>For example, the site where Locke (Terry O'Quinn) first eyed the island creature is on private North Shore property. And those freshwater caves where some of the castaways hang out? They're actually a fabricated set on a Honolulu soundstage.

On the other hand, several sites, including the plane-crash beach, not only are open to the public, they offer all sorts of enticing diversions that go beyond just some Hollywood make-believe. Here's a rundown:

- Mokuleia Beach: Located a few miles west of the fabled beaches of Oahu's North Shore and in a mostly undeveloped area near road's end, Mokuleia is often overlooked by tourists.

- Kualoa Ranch: This working cattle ranch, which spreads from breathtaking mountain cliffs to the sparkling Pacific, is an outdoor lover's paradise -- offering horseback riding, ATV rides, kayaking and more. It's no wonder, then, that Hurley (Jorge Garcia) picked this spot to lay out his makeshift two-hole golf course.

- Byodo-In Temple: The verdant Koolau mountains serve as a stunning backdrop for the Valley of the Temples Memorial Park, the centrepiece of which is this majestic replica of a 900-year-old temple of the same name in Uji, Japan.

Here is where, in a pre-crash flashback, Sun (Yunjin Kim) and Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) first met and began making plans for their marriage.<<

I also scouted around and found out that "Iraq" was the old military bunkers in Diamond Head (that was driving me nuts!), and I recognized the "airport" as the Honolulu Convention Center. The house Hurley bought his mom is in Kahala, but I wouldn't be able to give a more accurate location than that (I just know we used to pass it on our way to the Kahala Mandarin Oriental).

I read in one article that they're not going to use the Xerox building for a soundstage this year. They'll do that at the Diamond Head studio, which is basically across the street from the entrance to Diamond Head.