We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbers Point Navy Beach Cottages

Wash, DC
Level Contributor
141 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Barbers Point Navy Beach Cottages

We are planning a family vacation at a beach cottage here in this Summer. The cottages are available to military, active and retired, as well as DOD. The advantages include cost, ocean front, washer dryer, and A/C (at least in the unit available for our dates). The disadvantage as far as I can tell is the location about 25 miles west of Honolulu. Am I missing anything else? My understanding is the cottages have all been recently renovated.

Any thoughts from folks who have been in the area with family would be most appreciated. We are looking for a beach vacation with decent surf and snorkel time. Shopping and night life are not important to us.

Thanks so much.

Netta7

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
SavingAmy
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbers Point Navy Beach Cottages

Not trying to talk you out of the Navy cottages, but have you asked about availability for the cottages at Bellows AFS? The beach is so much nicer and there are a lot of activities available for the entire family.

It's on one of the nicest beaches in all of Hawaii.

http://www.bellowsafs.com/

Mentioned in this post
Yokosuka, Japan
Level Contributor
196 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbers Point Navy Beach Cottages

Bellows is far more beautiful. I believe the cottages are more dated and booked 6 mo-1 year in advance.

I am not a beach expert, but you will have difficulty finding a beach that does both surf and snorkel. Since good waves will disrupt the sea life for snorkeling.

Here is a link to a semi-recent review of Barber's Point:

…blogspot.com/2008/09/barbers-point-cottages…

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbers Point Navy Beach Cottages

Netta7,

If you have a car you can take a short drive over to Ko Olina where they have 4 sheltered lagoons for swimming and snorkeling. Snorkleing is decent and very good for beginners. Lot's of giant honu (sea turtles). The beach is free but you need to get there early as the public parking lots fill up. Also, with a military pass you might be able to use the facilities at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club. I believe that they have a special arrangement for military personnel. You can PM me and I'll send you the name of the general manager who might be able to help.

Mentioned in this post
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott Ko Olina Beach...
3,364 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Wash, DC
Level Contributor
141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbers Point Navy Beach Cottages

Thanks for the advice! We can try for Bellows, but not until 75 days before our arrival since my husband is retired. I fear everything at Bellows will be booked by then. We'll see. No matter what we'll be in Hawaii having fun.

Thanks again.

Netta7

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbers Point Navy Beach Cottages

Why the 75 days? My BIL (retired Marine) booked us a Bellows cottage 6 months out. I have to say the location is amazing. However, it really is like camping with a kitchen. The beds are really uncomfortable, the houskeeping isn't very good, you only get one small bath towel per person, you also have to clean the unit upon departure (not my idea of vacation!). I regretted not just spending more to get either a regular hotel or rental house.

In addition, after 10 PM we couldn't get past security without our sponsor. This was a total pain, rushing back from the movies one night and Waikiki another. We were always worried about having to call SIL to come get us. Fotunately she lives on island and it didn't happen, but we sure did worry about it!

There is no mistaking the incredible deal for the location, you just pay the price in lack of convenience.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Wash, DC
Level Contributor
141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbers Point Navy Beach Cottages

During the summer months when demand is higher, Bellows has different rules on how far in advance you can make a reservation. For vacations that fall between Memorial Day and Labor Day, retirees can only book 75 days in advance at Bellows. Unfortunately, this is when we need to travel.

Each branch of the service has their own rules for Hawaii Cottage reservations. The Navy Cottages at Barber's Point allow retirees to book 4 months in advance regardless of the season. The Army cottages can be booked by retirees 90 days in advance. From my research it appears the most desirable military cabins are arguably on the Marine Corps base, but retirees can only book those 30 days in advance and they are very hard to obtain.

Netta7

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbers Point Navy Beach Cottages

On island Bellows is the most popular, MCBH next then Barbers. MCBH is where we were staying 20 years ago and got engaged, so I like it best. That said the beach at Bellows is the best.

The area around Barbers isn't good, that is the main drawback.

8. Re: Barbers Point Navy Beach Cottages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 22, 2009