We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 questions please?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 questions please?

Hi!

We will be staying at the ResortQuest Pacific Monarch in Waikiki and was wondering how close this is to the construction going on? We have 2 toddlers and have been to Hawaii without them before but don't want noise to upset them from a fabulous experience! any updates on staying at this hotel would be appreciated...reviews very mixed! thanks!

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 questions please?

The Pacific Monarch is on Kuhio Ave, I think somewhere near International Market Place.....however I dont think they have started the renovatons of IMP yet. We were there in May and the only major construction/renovation going on was in Lewers St on the new Waikiki Beachwalk development. However, that was almost 4 months ago now and they may started the redevelopment of IMP by now (It was suppose to start 2006). Depending on when you depart, I think you should be reasonably safe at this stage.

honolulu
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 questions please?

Pacific Monarch is on the other end of Waikiki from the Lewers St construction, if that's what you mean.

There is some work starting on Kuhio Ave. where a bunch of trees are being removed (!) but even if you're here during that time, it shouldn't disturb you much.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 questions please?

thanks for your heLP!

Kaneohe, Hawaii
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 questions please?

And after we paid the big bucks for those trees!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 questions please?

I know what you mean! I work in a shopping centre that pulled out its indoor palm trees - perfectly healthy- to replace them at $6000 each with new ones???? Thats where our rents go...hmmm!

Is waikiki still the same buzzing place- the more I hear about this construction the more nervous I am becoming!

Kaneohe, Hawaii
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 questions please?

jo -

The trees are a big joke here. Our former mayor spent (or overspent, depending on your perspective) some heavy dollars on things to "upgrade" Waikiki, including a revamp of Kuhio Avenue & Ala Wai. They put in traffic islands, trees, new sidewalks, etc. The new mayor decided we didn't have the money to maintain the trees (water, trimming, etc.) so he started taking them out less than a year after they'd been put there. You gotta love those politicians!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 questions please?

Many of the trees along Kuhio are being removed because they are safety hazards. They block street signs and stop lights and make it difficult for emergency vehicles (especially fire trucks to get thru).

Also, with the help of Outdoor Circle, all but a few of the trees are being replanted elsewhere on the island.