We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie on holidays

sydney
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Aussie on holidays

Hi,

I am going for 2 weeks in the end of March with Husband who has never been. He is a keen surfer and therefore interested in the north shore and the surfing spots. I just think looking around is much easier with a car rather than rely on public transport. I am just wondering from the other Aussies, if we hire a car for a week are we better off picking it up at the airport when we arrive or waiting a few days and assess the driving ect. before we committ to the weeks hire.

I am just a bit worried about jumping out of the plane and straight on to the other side of the road.

Thanks you for your help

Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie on holidays

Hi there, we have been to Honolulu/Oahu many times and we always rent a car for a week. My husband says once you get used to it, the driving comes naturally.

You can see and do SO much more with a car...north shore, windward side, shopping and so on.

We usually stay 2 weeks too. We wait a couple of days, settle in and then rent the car for a week.

Hope that helps a little :)

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie on holidays

Hi,

Have done both.

1. Off plane on Big Island straight into car &

2. Oahu waited a couple of days and hired car.

When we return later this month will be using "The Bus"

Car is a great way to see the island/s. Couple of considerations. Check that your hotel has parking available and how much it will cost. Many hotels have limited and somtimes very expensive parking.

Would recommend;

+ waiting a couple of days to fully get over jet lag and adjust to driving (and just crossing the road on foot) on the wrong side of the road (can be challenging to say the least)

+ a GPS if you have one available

Have a Fantastic Trip!!!

sydney
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie on holidays

This is the virgin tripper to Hawaii husband here!

Just to add to my wife's question.....car hire. Is it more economical to hire from auss., with say "global car hire" before we leave or is the extra cost in comparison, hiring in down town Waikiki, minimal difference anyway?

If I'm taking my board, will I have to take some "soft Racks" for the hire car or will they have hire cars with roof racks available?

If we decide to higher in Waikiki:

Does the shuttle from airport to Waikiki,allow me to take my board on? Its 6'6 long.

Thanks... blacker fred

Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie on holidays

Hmmm interesting question about the cost of the car hire. I would have said it was cheaper to rent the car over there or on the net in US dollars but at the moment, with the exchange rate, it might be worth looking into here and compare prices.

If you google: Oahu car hire, you will come up with a few sites that will give you some costs. There are insurances that are added and some of the websites do give you an idea what they are.

We always get a taxi from the Airport to the hotel (I presume you guys are staying in Waikiki?). Its about $35 but much quicker than the shuttle which stops at SO many hotels. Not sure about the surfboard, I would imagine a station wagon taxi could take it?

We have travelled with a lot of luggage and prams and never had a problem.

Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie on holidays

Just came across this info on roof racks:

Do Hawaii Car Rentals have Roof Racks for Surfboards?

Well, yes and no. But if you want to strap surfboards to the top of your rental vehicle, I would strongly suggest you purchase padded portable surfboard racks and bring them with you to Hawaii.

Only some of the Hawaii car rental companies have vehicles with integral "roof racks" that are attached to the vehicle - some SUV's, and fewer minivans. However, these integral roof racks only have the linear side bars, but not the crossbars that go between the side bars. Some of the Hawaii rental car companies have add-on racks that you can rent or purchase. But sometimes they are sold out.

You can request a car with a roof rack or request to rent or purchase the add on kind if the company you're renting from even offers them. Juts like vehicle types, child safety seats, the same goes for roof racks - they say they will do their best to accommodate, but they will not guarantee it.

The car rental companies I spoke to said it was okay to strap a roof rack to their cars, but if you scratch the roof or damage the vehicle, you will be charged for the damage.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie on holidays

Gid'day Blackfred,

* take your soft racks, then you are not limited by what vehicles are available

* car hire over there is very, very competitive, and will allow you the freedom to decide when you want the car (weather). Please read earlier post and explore parking options with your hotel. Any cheap? car rental can be offset by very expensive parking.

* Roberts Shuttle (one of a few available) @ $USD 9.00 per person and from memory $USD 10.00 for your board (6 -10ft all ok). Just go to the Ground Transportation Desk in the foyer of airport and it is very easy! ( yours won't be the 1st board that they have seen)

Yep! they do take a bit longer to get to your hotel, however, if it is your 1st time, the trip, sights and orientation are worth the difference between the taxi (@USD$35-40 which in these sad economic times works out to be a $$s trip)

Last visit we hired a convertible, which is an easy option for boards and a flash way to see the island, EXCEPT when it rained!! Which it does, especially in the mountains!

Aloha

Canberra, AU
Level Contributor
453 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie on holidays

hblackfred, check out this post that I and a few other Aussies contributed to a while back.

Dom

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60634-i87-k239810…

sydney
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussie on holidays

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer a couple of our questions. I didn't think about insurance and am now a bit confused. I suppose it is like all insurance when you don't have it is when something goes wrong.

Anything else you can think we should know would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

9. Re: Aussie on holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, August 13, 2009