We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for August 2006 Wedding/Honeymoon

Virginia
9 posts
Save Topic
Advice for August 2006 Wedding/Honeymoon

Hi, I have never been to Hawaii, and my future husband & I are planning to get married in Oahu in August 2006, and we would greatly appreciate any advice that past travelers would like to give us. I do have a few questions though...

1) How do hotel/flight rates in August compare to other months of the year?

2) How does the weather in August compare to other months?

3) What would you list as the top 10 things to see/do in Oahu or close by?

4) Are there any programs in Oahu that allow you to swim with dolphins?

5) Any specific restaurants that you would recommend?

6) Any advice you would give a first-time traveler to Hawaii?

Thanks! Hope to hear back from someone! :)

PA/USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for August 2006 Wedding/Honeymoon

The weather doesnt vary that much during the year. Mostly in the 80s all year around. There is two places you can swim with dolphins in Oahu. The first is at the kahala mandarin Oriental hotel . It is run by dolphin quest. You can look at the website www.dolphinquest.org .It is most expensive of the two places but you will be with less people in your group. The other place is Sea life park. I know there is also different charters you can take that you can go out and see wild dolphins but I am not familiar with the name of the companys. I would highly recommend you buy the book Oahu revealed which will give you answers to all these questions and a whole lot more. It is available at all your local bookstores or online at amazon.com or borders.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for August 2006 Wedding/Honeymoon

Congrats on your wedding.....

We got married on Oahu in May this year. If you havent picked a wedding celebrant/co-ordinator yet I can recommend the company we used which was hawaiiweddings.net

They were fantastic and everything we wanted was arranged.

Our first trip to Waikiki was in August 2001, the weather was beautiful but from what I know it is beautiful most year round. The days were sunny and warm without being too hot......

10 top things to see.......well I would suggest,

Pearl Harbour, USS Missouri etc

International Marketplace (while it still exists)

Grand Circle Island tour (either by yourself or with tour, lots to see eg. Dole Plantation, Byodo-In Temple)

Rent a car and drive

Luau (there are about 5 to choose from)

Aloha Stadium Swap Meet for souvineers

Maybe tour the Illioni Palace

Snorkel Hanauma Bay

I hear the zoo & aqaurium are good too (I havent done these)

Day trip to the Volcano's on Big Island (if you can, it's amazing)

Im sure there are plenty of other people who can help input on this subject too..........

My family did the Dolphin Quest at the Kahala Manderin and had a fantastic time....it was about $150 (I think) for about 90 mins but they said it was well worth it.

Restarurants......there are heaps and heaps to try.......some of our favourites were Dukes, Hula Grill, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Rock Island Cafe @ Kings Village, Planet Hollywood was good value as well (we dont have that here). If you are looking for a beautiful Restaurant for your wedding dinner, go to Orchids @ Halekulani.....it is superb. We had our wedding dinner there and I would highly recommend everything about it. The food, service, atmosphere, views etc.....exceptional value of $53 for 5 course dinner (Chefs Dinner Menu).

From what I have read from others the book Oahu Revealed is fantastic (it's not available in Australia) however I wish it were as I would have bought it before our first trip as it sounds great. We used Lonely Planet to do our research !!!

Have a fantastic Wedding/Honeymoon and enjoy.....

Mahalo