We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Nov.15-20

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
Trip report Nov.15-20

Flew from Columbus to Chicago to Honolulu on American Airlines. Had an emergency landing in Los Angeles due to mechanical problem causing a two hour delay on arrival in Honolulu.

My friend and I stayed at the Outrigger Reef (will post review in the hotel section). We were upgraded from a partial ocean view to a full ocean view that also overlooked Ft. Derussey park. Great view and the room was very nice.

After arrival, we walked up Waikiki beach and were going to go to Sunset on the Beach to watch Na Leo perform but due to the late arrival, we just turned around at Kuhio Beach and walked down Kalakaua Ave. and window shopped. Had dinner at Shorebird Beach Bar and Grill. Both had the fish (Mahi-Mahi) and chips. Excellent as usual. Went to bed early after long day of travel.

Woke up early and picked up rental car from Hertz located right in hotel. We were given a convertible Mustang and were very pleased with the car. This was my friend's first trip to Hawaii and I wanted to make certain she saw more of Oahu than Waikiki and Honolulu. Had fun with the convertible. It would rain every so often so had to pull off to side of road and put top up and then a few minutes would pass and would put it back down. This happened throughout the drive.

Drove along Diamond Head road and then up the windward side visiting all of the lookouts and beaches along the way. Stopped at one of my favorite beaches (Bellows AFB) and enjoyed the scenery and beach before heading up to Laie point. After that, we headed to Kahuku and to Giovanni's Shrimp truck to get some of their garlic shrimp scampi. Awesome as usual.

The swells were in that weekend and the surf competitions were going on so the North Shore was packed and we were unable to find any place to park so couldn't stop and look around Sunset beach, Bonzai Pipeline, etc. Got back to hotel and took a sunset catamaran ride on the Outrigger catamaran. Great time and beautiful sunset.

On Monday, we were eating breakfast at the Shorebird before heading to the Arizona Memorial when the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier appeared off of Waikiki beach heading to Pearl Harbor. It was amazing see this ship right off of Waikiki and when we got to the memorial, it was moored right across from the visitor center. THe memorial was touching as usual and getting to see the USS Ronald Reagan up close made it even better. (It was returning to port after serving 6 months in the Iraq war).

That night, we had dinner at the Ocean House Restaurant at the Outrigger Reef and enjoyed our meals. My friend got the filet mignon while I had crab-stuffed Mahi-Mahi. Both were excellent choices.

Tuesday night we went to Germaine's Luau. I have been to it before and one other luau. I only scheduled this because my friend hadn't been to one and wanted to go. It's nice and fun. She enjoyed it and it was a very entertaining show.

Wednesday and Thursday were spent mainly shopping and just relaxing and enjoying the beach and also I did some snorkelling both days right off of the beach in front of the Outrigger Reef. I got to see lots of fish and a few snowflake eels right there. I also saw the biggest Humuhumunukunukuapua'a I have ever seen there.

Flew back late Thurday night. No problems (especially mechanical) with the flights back. Arrived back in Columbus to snow all over my yard. Made me hate coming home even more.

Here is a link to my pics at snapfish.com:

…snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/…60624508

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,422 posts
1. Re: Trip report Nov.15-20

Nice trip report & pics.

The aircraft carriers are huge when you get to see them up close like that.

Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip report Nov.15-20

I'm so glad you had another good trip to Waikiki. Now begins the long countdown to the next trip, huh? I hope your friend had as much fun as we always do. I couldn't help but notice though, out of 366 pictures, there didn't seem to be one of you enjoying a lava flow on my behalf. Does this mean you have to go back?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
2 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip report Nov.15-20

so how are the renovations coming along at the reef?

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip report Nov.15-20

Hi Tropigirl, I did have a lava flow (or two) for you. I just didn't take any pictures of them. Guess I was too busy drinking them and forgot to take a pic.

As for the renovations at the Reef, they are still going on in the Pacific Tower. About half of that tower is complete and that is the tower I was in. Also, the Diamond Head tower, the new restaurant, and Serenity Spa are still being renovated. The noise wasn't too bad during the day. Everything that is done looks great.

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip report Nov.15-20

Thanks Dusty for the comments and yes, the aircraft carrier is extremely huge when you are up close to it.  I couldn't believe the size of it.  Glad eveyone is liking the pictures. 

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
2 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip report Nov.15-20

the pics are GREAT!!!!!

makes me miss Oahu :(

7. Re: Trip report Nov.15-20

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, October 15, 2009