I returned recently from a 3 days trip to Oahu. Yes, it was a very short trip and we did not do most of the "must do" things. Here are some of my comments...
- Sheraton Waikiki: It does not have any beach but the location cannot be beat. We had an oceanfront room and the views were to die for. I had a great time just sitting on the balcony and watching waikiki ... The rooms were quite good but what's up with the bathroom windows (almost one wall) that open into the sleeping area. Esp. in rooms with two double beds!
- Tiki bar and grill: Loved it! Beautiful terrace location and very good pupus. Drinks were good too
- Rum fire @ sheraton: Great rum collection but fairly pricey. The lavender-cucumber mojito was overrated
- Duke's Canoe club: Our only bad dining experience in the whole Hawaii trip (Oahu + Kauai). Our server was very rude and completely ignored us after we pointed out a problem in our drink. Did not want to spend time talking to the Manager etc.
- Moana banyan veranda. Beautiful location.. average drinks and food.
- Waikiki beach. I may be in a minority here but I loved it. It was so much fun playing in the water - boogie boarding, swimming etc. We went in the morning so not a whole lot of people at that time.
- Matsumoto's shave ice: Enjoyed it a lot but JoJo's in Kauai may be a bit better because of the macadamia nut ice cream :) The ice cream here wasn't as great..
- North Shore/East shore drive. WOW! I think people are too quick to judge Oahu based on Waikiki alone. You got to get out and see the rest of the island. I actually loved it more than Kauai (Ok, maybe just by a little bit only). There is such a contrast between the hustle and bustle of waikiki and the beautiful beaches of north shore. For me, both have a place in my vacation.
- Sunset Beach - My O My!
- Mac 24/7: Dunno why we went there... oh yes, I wanted pancakes. What is up with the over 12" diameter pancakes??? That grossed me out so much that I could barely eat! The eggs were good though.
- Haleiwa cafe: Did not like it much. The omelet was good but the blueberry french toast was served with the most tasteless/soggy blueberries... clearly thawed out and un-appetizing.
No fine dining... keeping that for the next trip in Sept.
- Loved the Honolulu airport. With all the airports so sterile now, it was fun to see one with open walkways, beautiful gardens and great views of planes!
OK, maybe this report wasn't all that quick after all :)