We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip report

san jose
Level Contributor
92 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Quick trip report

Hi all,

I returned recently from a 3 days trip to Oahu. Yes, it was a very short trip and we did not do most of the "must do" things. Here are some of my comments...

- Sheraton Waikiki: It does not have any beach but the location cannot be beat. We had an oceanfront room and the views were to die for. I had a great time just sitting on the balcony and watching waikiki ... The rooms were quite good but what's up with the bathroom windows (almost one wall) that open into the sleeping area. Esp. in rooms with two double beds!

- Tiki bar and grill: Loved it! Beautiful terrace location and very good pupus. Drinks were good too

- Rum fire @ sheraton: Great rum collection but fairly pricey. The lavender-cucumber mojito was overrated

- Duke's Canoe club: Our only bad dining experience in the whole Hawaii trip (Oahu + Kauai). Our server was very rude and completely ignored us after we pointed out a problem in our drink. Did not want to spend time talking to the Manager etc.

- Moana banyan veranda. Beautiful location.. average drinks and food.

- Waikiki beach. I may be in a minority here but I loved it. It was so much fun playing in the water - boogie boarding, swimming etc. We went in the morning so not a whole lot of people at that time.

- Matsumoto's shave ice: Enjoyed it a lot but JoJo's in Kauai may be a bit better because of the macadamia nut ice cream :) The ice cream here wasn't as great..

- North Shore/East shore drive. WOW! I think people are too quick to judge Oahu based on Waikiki alone. You got to get out and see the rest of the island. I actually loved it more than Kauai (Ok, maybe just by a little bit only). There is such a contrast between the hustle and bustle of waikiki and the beautiful beaches of north shore. For me, both have a place in my vacation.

- Sunset Beach - My O My!

- Mac 24/7: Dunno why we went there... oh yes, I wanted pancakes. What is up with the over 12" diameter pancakes??? That grossed me out so much that I could barely eat! The eggs were good though.

- Haleiwa cafe: Did not like it much. The omelet was good but the blueberry french toast was served with the most tasteless/soggy blueberries... clearly thawed out and un-appetizing.

No fine dining... keeping that for the next trip in Sept.

- Loved the Honolulu airport. With all the airports so sterile now, it was fun to see one with open walkways, beautiful gardens and great views of planes!

OK, maybe this report wasn't all that quick after all :)

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Sheraton Waikiki
Sheraton Waikiki
6,469 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Tiki's Grill & Bar
Tiki's Grill & Bar
3,910 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,526 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,037 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Sunset Beach Park
Sunset Beach Park
781 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Denver
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip report

Wow! Great report. Easy to read...now I'm going to the Kauai board to see if you posted there (since I'm headed there in June)! Thanks!

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip report

Great report. I agree with you, I believe a lot of people who say Oahu is just like LA must not have ventured outside the immediate vacinity of Waikiki and Honolulu.

This is also why I like Oahu best, the contrast -- you can be in the middle of hustle bustle with plenty of good restaurants and excellent shopping, but you can also get away to the quieter areas with a little bit of driving.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip report

sounds like a good little trip, keep in mind Hawaiian Royalty could pick anywhere on the Islands for their gathering place, and they picked Waikiki. That is why it is crowded, it is a fabulous beach.

How did you like Rum Fire, was anyone doing the bottle service? Don't know if that will work in Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Rum Fire
Rum Fire
790 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick trip report

Great trip report, i cant wait to visit Waikiki in September!

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
san jose
Level Contributor
92 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick trip report

longboard, rum fire was a great place to hang out. They have two outdoor seating areas also which are really neat ..with fires burning in the evening. We had their angus burger, fries and edamame and enjoyed all three. It is such a great location...

I am sorry I don't know if they offer bottle service.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,343 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick trip report

Very nice.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick trip report

Very nice report Hazel. And I could not agree with you more. The North shore is Incredible!

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,037 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick trip report

Thanks for the report. Don't order pancakes at a diner near us, they come that size. Yum.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick trip report

Hi Hazel,

Thanks for your Trip Report--very informative and easy to read.

Welcome home.

10. Re: Quick trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 28, 2009