We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing lessons

ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing lessons

My family will be visiting Oahu in July and my 3 teenagers would like to take surfing lessons. They have never surfed before. We will be staying on the North Shore. Is this a good place to learn or should we head to Waikiki? The cost on the north shore seems very high. Any help is appreciated!!

honolulu
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing lessons

The cost on the north shore is high. Also, except for one well-known woman, the quality is not as good - both the instruction and the quality of the experience as Hawaii surfing. JMHO as a surfer and observer of the shenanigans by local surf schools.

If you're headed to Waikiki, I'd recommend going down to Waikiki Beach and doing a walkup lesson with one of the old beach boys. It's much more reasonably priced, you get a real experience rather than a manufactured one, and while the water's crowded down there, with your beachboy it's not a problem. Avoid surf schools with any off-the-beach offices or multiple offices. The exception to the last is Hawaiian Fire. They offer high quality and the best safety. Also, avoid the stand at the Sheraton Waikiki. But I'd still say Waikiki if you can handle the crowd. It's the classic experience.

LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing lessons

The North Shore (Windward side) is literally 'flat' when it comes to having no waves in the summertime. Cliff diving off of Waimea Rock is popular in the summertime there as the water is deep and clear but calm. Surfing/boogieboarding on the south side (Leeward side) of Oahu takes place during the summertime as the waves come & go with the seasonal tides-currents. For waves, summertime on the Leeward side, and wintertime on the Windward side. Best if you go to Waikiki-at Kuhio Beach (near Duke's and the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel for surfing lessons, and rental boards with an instructor. Either bring binoculars (or maybe the local lifeguard has an extra pair he may or may not loan to you... being a local I get many benefits & comps than the norm. Won't hurt to ask him), so you can watch your teenagers from the beach learning how to surf, or paddle an inflatable raft out to near the breakers to watch them from a closer distance. (Start now while in Ohio, doing lots pushups at home and riding skateboard downhill-swerving from side to side.)

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing lessons

Im not sure of the prices at North Shore, however my 11 year old niece had never surfed either and took a lesson at Waikiki Beach in May 05. It cost $35 for 1 hour and the instructor guy who took her was fantastic and she thoroughly enjoyed herself.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing lessons

nice comments hawaii50, I see so many kids (many girls) out that really look excited after standing for the first time. Its really a once in a lifetime thing that should not be missed. Don't even think of trying without an instructor or all you will get is very tired arms. Try to arrange for a picture, there are some of the beachboys who will go out with a camera.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing lessons

Longboard,

Yes you are correct with the photographers. My niece had photo's of her taken while she was doing the surfing lessons. They give you a little tag on a rubberband to put around your wrist, which has a number relating to your photos. Then you take the tag into the photo place to buy your photos.

The photos were $10 each, but we got 50 photos on a CD rom for $50.

The photo place use to be behind Kings Village on Kuhio Ave, in an upstairs office. They have signs on the front window surfing photos.