We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu Trip Report March 08

Boston, Ma
9 posts
Save Topic
Oahu Trip Report March 08

I took my wife to Oahu for her birthday from March 13-19.

March 13

Flew United from Boston to San Francisco. Average flight 1 movie and option to buy a snack box.

Flew from San Fran to Honolulu landing at 7:30 pm.

Long flight.

Checked in to Outrigger Waikiki Beach Received room on 15th floor with 2 double beds and partial ocean view. Would have prefered a a king bed but wanted to keep the high floor because of the express elevator.

They offered an upgrade for 80$ a night.

March 14

Woke at 4 am loving time zone changes. We wandered around Waikiki getting our bearings. At lunch at the Yard House in the Wakiki Beach walk. Decent bar food great selection of beer. Headed off to Germaines Luau at 4:30 taking the bus . This was my second trip and its a fun cheesey event. Food is edible and the show is interesting. Definately a cattle call event. Kai the tour guide was funny and made the bus ride enjoyable.

March 15

Took a Kayaking tour with Mokulua Guides. Worth every penny. Miguel and Erin picked us up at the hotel and droves us via the Pali highway to Kailua where we met up with Scott who was to be our guide. On the way to Kailua we stopped at a lookout where Miguel told us some the histoory in the area. After stopping by the Kailua beach park to change and sign the waivers we met Scott who had the two double kayaks all ready to go on the canal behind the beach. Miguel left and Erin was joing with Scott for the trip. We paddled down the canal to the back side of Kailua beach. After pulling the kayaks over the beach (not bad at all) Scott told us about the major erosion problem facing that beach. The surf was very choppy that day and the wind was pretty strong. looked like it would be a tough paddle to the Islands but a great paddle on the way home.

Scott got us in the water and told us to paddle to a buoy and wait for him and Erin. We then paddled to a turtle cleaning station and while there wasn't a turtle there we did see one a few minutes later popping his head up. We paddled out to the mokulua Islands stopping ever once and a while to rest and Scott would relay some information about the area. Beaching on to the Islands was fun with the high surf and two waves meeting from two directions. We hung out on that beach for a bit and then wandered off touring the Island. Scott was a wealth of information about everything. Since it was overcast and choppy snorkeling wasn't much of an options so Scott offered up several alternatives. we decided after lunch to paddle to Flat island just of Kailua Beach. The paddle back was so much fun since the waves and wind were working with us and we made it to flat island easily. After touring Flat Island we headed back to Kailua. This was an absolutley Fantastic trip and would recomend it to anyone. The whole crew was friendly.

We got back to Waikiki at about 3:30 exhausted.

After nappin we went to dinner at Chucks in the outrigger. There is a Chucks in my hometown so I love this place and the food was great.

March 16

Rented a car from Thrifty using the Wild Car special received a Dodge Avenger. We headed to the North Shore. Tried to goto the surfing museum but it was closed. We drove around Haleiwa for a bit before heading to Sunset beach park to wade arouns. After that we went on the hunt for Giovannis Shrimp truck which my gps took us up the mountain for some reason before I jumped online and got the real address. Giovannis was busy at 12:30 but the shrimp was great My wife had the scampi and I had the hot and spicy (when they say spicy they mean it)

we then followed the rad to Kailua before heading back to the North Shore for Aokis shaved ice and then we watched the waves and craziness at Waimea before heading back to Waikiki. We orderd papa Johns online and for some reason one large hawaiian pizza and a cheese stick cost 32$ WTF

March 17

Went to Pearl Harbor but after waiting 45 min in line to get a ticket for 2:30 hour wait to go to the memorial we left and hiked Diamond Head in about 1 hour. Then drove to Manoa falls and hiked there.

Back to the North Shore for Matsumotos Shaved Ice and an Kua Aina Burgers (best burger we had) Did some shopping as well. Headed to Waimea Valley falls and hicked to the fall and swam in the pool. Wamiea was very beautiful. We then went to Pipeline and watched the surfers. Back to Waikiki at about 6pm returned the car.

Hung at the Dukes bar for a while.

March 18

Swam at Waikiki and went to the Zoo. The zoo was cheap but interesting. Lunch at Cheeseburgers in Paradise ($$$$ Mediocre) And took the shuttle to Hilo Hatties (Over hyped). Dinner at Dukes good food.

March 19

Surfed Waikiki renting boards from the Outrigger for 15$ per board. Checked out at noon and took the shuttle to the airport for the overnight flight to chicago and boston

Airline: 3 stars

Outrigger Waikiki: Noise was not an issue at night. During the day sound passed right through the walls. Very Clean. Small shower but that was not an issue. Overall 4 stars

Mokulua Guides: 4 stars they were great.

Thrifty: 2 stars the car had a blown speaker on the drivers side

Dukes Canoe Club: Good food and drinks 3 stars

YardHouse: 3 stars

Overall Trip: Fantastic

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Outrigger Waikiki Beach...
5,331 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Yard House
Yard House
2,948 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Germaine's Luau
Germaine's Luau
1,552 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pali Highway
Pali Highway
64 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Kailua Beach Park
Kailua Beach Park
2,600 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Chuck's Steak House
Chuck's Steak House
692 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,056 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Sunset Beach Park
Sunset Beach Park
792 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
1,807 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
167 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimea Valley
Waimea Valley
2,113 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu Trip Report March 08

I enjoyed your report...and your kayaking experience reminded me of ours in Aruba...the wind and current were so strong the day we tried, it continually blew us over and then back to shore! Glad yours turned out better!

Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu Trip Report March 08

Wow, I know the Chuck's in East Haven, CT when it was there. I loved the salad bar. Is it worth going to??

We will be in Oahu in May and will have to check it out. Do you know if they have one in Maui?

Mentioned in this post
Chuck's Steak House
Chuck's Steak House
692 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Boston, Ma
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu Trip Report March 08

Chucks is great I used to go to the one in Auburn Ma.

I have been to the Waikiki one twice and the food has been great.

The salad bar has been skimmed down a bit the shredded cheese is missing and the lettuce is now mixed with cherry tomatoes (which i hate).

The steaks are good and get there at 5 for half priced drinks

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu Trip Report March 08

Thanks for the trip report!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu Trip Report March 08

Hi Ninjaroo,

Thanks for your informative trip report! The ratings were especially helpful.

What time did you hike Diamond Head? I'm wondering how the heat was at that time. Many posters on this forum suggest going early or after 4:00.

Glad you had a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Boston, Ma
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu Trip Report March 08

We climbed Diamond head at about 9 am . It wasn't bad at all, I hacd done it beofre at noon very hot then.

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Boston, Ma
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oahu Trip Report March 08

I forgot to mention our arrival in honolulu.

I booked through Leigreetings.com to get a lei for my wife and a limo to outrigger.

We met the represenative at the gate and she was great. she walked with us to baggage claim and took us to the limo spot. We had to wait a few minutes for the limo from platinum limos to show up but not too long.

The limo itself was a bit dated but the driver was excellent.

Cost me about 120$ for the lei and limo.

After ai booked I saw cheaper options on trip advisor oh well.

Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oahu Trip Report March 08

What a great trip report :)

Sonds like you had a wonderful time.

Your trip report made me want to go back even more (have already been 8 times...hehe).

Sounds like you fitted so much into your time too. We always do the same.

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oahu Trip Report March 08

nice trip report

we also did the mokulua kayak tour i agree they are a+

and by the way we had the same guy cousin kai on our bus to germaines he definitely made the bus ride more enjoyable.

aloha marie

Boston, Ma
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oahu Trip Report March 08

Funny thing was i think i had Kai in 2000 but not positive. I know he was using the same material.

But he was fantastic. and I love that Germaines doesn't do the seating pricing that paradise does.