We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 26th sept to 4th oct

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 26th sept to 4th oct

After a hectic week in Disneyland we arrived in gorgeous Hawaii with our two children 9 and 7. We stayed at the Outrigger on the Beach which we loved because the location is so good and there is a great vibe about the place. The kids loved the Hawaiin cultural activites ,free for guests in the lobby each day, but mostly we all loved playing in the surf directly outside Dukes. Purchase a sea mattress from the ABC store for $1.99 and hours of fun can be had relaxing in the warm waters or playing in the surf. People who were leaving very kindly gave us their boogie boards and plastic rings(which we also passed on) so the kids had a ball.

The green sea turles all come down about four pm and swim in this area. My daughter came face to face with one, which popped up for air while she was lying on her mattress. They are very quick but if you watch carefully you can see them in the waters with the swimmers all around. How special is that...

We climbed Diamond Head early one morning. Quite a rigorous climb( and we are a fit) but the view is spectacular. Well worth the effort. We caught a taxi from Waikiki to the entrance for $12 and a taxi home again. We also went snorkelling at Hanauma bay wich we all loved. Masses of tropical fish in aqua blue warm water. We went with Rudi tours at $12 pp. Great value. We arrived at 9am and

stayed for 2.5 hours.

We also went for an afternoon sail on the big Cat which was fun. The kids sat on the nets and loved the sea spray. We had a surf on the outrigger canoe $10pp for two waves. Huge fun. I had a surfing lesson for $30 and even stood up! Photos are taken of you for both these activities which you can view and buy later.

We Had Lunch at Dukes one day. Very busy but great vibe and fun to do once. The Hula pie was yummy. We also a lunch at the Cheesecake factory as it was too busy at dinner. Also yummy and good value. We had teppanyaki at Tanakas, also very nice and several meals at California Pizza Kitchen, which was our favorite. We sat outside with the Tiki Torches. Great staff and kids very well looked after.

Shopping... where do I start . Any Aussie or Kiwi knows the shopping at Ala Moana is fantastic. Macy's offer international visitors an 11% discount. Just show your room key at the gift wrapping counter on the third floor and they will give you a discount card which can be used for most purchases. I think Macy's on the mainland also offer this discount as the card could be used across the country.

One last tip. Breakfast at the Galaxy steak house (upstairs) near the international market on Kuhio. $2.99 eggs any way, bacon and two big buttermilk pancakes. fantastic value. Many other items to choose from also. It is asthetically not very attractive, but it is very clean and good value and always lots of patrons. My kids loved the

chocolate waffles.

Throughout our Disneyland and Hawaiin holiday, I was a source of information tips and advice. My family were always asking me "How do you know this?" My answer was always Trip Advisor.

Thankyou to all the dedicated contributors on these forums. It has certainly made my family hoilday the best ever.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,159 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,304 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California Pizza Kitchen
California Pizza Kitchen
384 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Tiki's Grill & Bar
Tiki's Grill & Bar
3,922 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,678 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
484 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hope Island...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 26th sept to 4th oct

Thanks for all your tips bella, we head off in 5 weeks, I am counting the minutes!!! Although we will have no children in tow, (been there done that!) a surf mat sounds like great fun, even for two mid sixties folk! also as we are boarding a cruise ship in Honolulu and sailing back to Aus via the Polynesian Islands it will get a lot of use.(On the islands that is!!!)

Did the turtles come to the Dukes Beach every day? I would love to see that, and will be giving your breakfast tip at the Galaxy Steak House a go too. Great to read your report, thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 26th sept to 4th oct

Wow Bella, it sounds like you had such a fantastic time. I was envious just reading it.

I SO wish I knew about the 11% discount. We did so much shopping when we were there in April. LOVED IT! I think we went to every shopping center on Oahu, including the Outlet Mall. Loved that too.

So glad you had such a good time. It's a beautiful place isn't it? I bet you are hoping to get back one day :)

Thanks for the great report.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
lwj
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
579 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 26th sept to 4th oct

Enjoyed reading your trip report.... especially the parts about the food!

Did the kids prefer Disneyland or Hawaii?

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 26th sept to 4th oct

Dear Queensland lady, the sea turtles came down every afternoon. The best way to spot them is to sit on the beach between the two catamarans, right outside Dukes and wait for their little heads to pop up for air. They actually swim very close to shore and were amoungst all the swimmers but they are quite hard to spot if you are in the water. A snorkel and mask would make it easier. We all saw them regularly and several people had close encounters with them including my daughter(although kids don't realise how special that is) Be sure to buy a sea mattress and just relax in the gentle, warm surf.

have A lovely trip.

The kids loved Hawaii as much as they loved Disneyland. We were a bit concerned they would find it a bit of a let down, but that was not the case.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 26th sept to 4th oct

Nice TR, glad you had a great time :-)

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,515 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 26th sept to 4th oct

what a fun trip, I am checking airfares after reading that report, time to book another trip.

7. Re: Trip Report 26th sept to 4th oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, September 10, 2009