We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puka Shell Necklaces

San Diego
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Puka Shell Necklaces

Anydbody know the best and cheapest place to buy puka shell necklaces? Does the swap meet have them? How much?

Also the big black macadamian nute necklaces that most samoans wear. I want my groomsmen to wear them and I'm looking for some.

Wexford, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Puka Shell Necklaces

I did not check out the swap meet, but saw very cheap puka necklaces at the International Market Place. There was a market before you got to the IMP and they had cheaper prices. I'm not sure if it was connected, but the prices were great!

I think you mean kukui nut necklaces. You can buy them all over, from the ABC stores, to the IMP, to the swap meet

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puka Shell Necklaces

When I was at the Swap Meet we got the puka shell necklaces 7 for 5.00, although more common was 6 for 5.00. They cost a bit more at the nearby markets although not too much, maybe 99 cents each or something like that. The nut shell necklaces - the previous answer is right with that they can be found just about everywhere although again you might get them slightly cheaper if you wait it out till the Swap meet - but if your wedding comes first go ahead and buy them anywhere it wont be that much more expensive in the long run. Enjoy.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puka Shell Necklaces

there is a big difference in the look and feel of hawaii-found puka shells and those imported from the phillipines which most of them are nowadays. the "real ones" are sold along the streets on the north shore and the more remote areas of each island. they are speckled and uneven looking while the imported ones are more uniform and bleach-white.

i sell the imported ones and a friend of mine sells the ones he finds on the beaches here, he sorts, drills and strings them up, for ten times the price. kaunakakai fleamarket, moloka'i, saturday mornings. people know the quality and are willing to pay the price.

4. Re: Puka Shell Necklaces

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, September 06, 2009