We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

Dorset
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

Aloha everyone!

my now husband and i have just returned from Hawaii where we got married on Oahu and then honeymooned in Maui. It was the most perfect time and the best decision we have ever made so i just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here who has either replied directly to questions we have asked, or have posted information that has helped us plan our trip. I will also post on the Maui forum but for now, just a few things from our stay on Oahu.

First of all, our wedding day was the most amazing day of our lives. We live in the UK and neither of us have been to Hawaii before so choosing Hawaii was a big decision but it was the best decision ever! We used Weddings of Hawaii to organise the day for us - they'd been recommended by friends and they were absolutely brilliant.

We got married in the morning at Waimanalo beach where the weather was far better than it had been a couple of days before, having gone to check the location out and got rained on! The beach is stunning and there was barely anyone else around (apart from our 4 guests!). Our limo took us all for lunch at Orchids at the Halekulani which was worth every penny for the quality of the food we ate. We then had a private sunset cruise on a small boat (diamond head cruises) for 2 hours that evening, and the crew on the boat were fantastic helping to keep us topped up with drinks constantly, even though it was BYO. Having been in Waikiki for 5 days by this point we realised we were very lucky with the weather, with sunshine almost the whole day.

I'd spent months researching where to go, where to stay and where to eat on Oahu - not to come up with an hour by hour itinerary but just to have plenty of options for the 8 days we were there, bearing in mind our guests had also not been to Hawaii before and we wanted to make sure the trip was a great holiday for them too! In the end, as we arrived Memorial Weekend and then had a bit of wedding admin to do, we didn't get to see much outside of Waikiki. We had a car for 1 day where we drove around the island, but this happened to be the only day in our stay in Oahu that rained - for most of the day. Still, we stopped at lots of beaches and made a note of them for our next visit. We loved Waikiki so much and we were so excited to be there and relax after the last few months that we were happy staying local.

We absolutely loved Waikiki. It's not everyone's favourite place but it has certainly become one of ours. We love sun, we love beaches, we love bars and restaurants with good views, and we also love city breaks and good shopping, so this ticked every box for us. Next time we will take less clothes and bigger suitcases ready for the clothes and souvenirs we buy! Yes it is expensive, but we were prepared for that and didn't eat out that much. Yes Waikiki beach is probably also busy compared to other beaches some people may have been to, but i live on a beach on the south coast of England and believe me, it was no more crowded than you get here on a busy weekend in August, and at least in Waikiki the weather and the water are always warm!

If you want less crowded beaches, get out of Waikiki. We walked down to Ala Moana and spent a few hours on the beach there and it was so quiet. Even walking back past the Hawaiian Hilton towards Waikiki the beaches were less crowded there. The beaches we saw on our drive round the island were almost deserted - but then, it had been raining!

We didn't eat out a lot in an attempt to keep costs down, especially for our guests. However, Orchids was fantastic for lunch. We also spent a lot of time enjoying (pretty expensive and very touristy but absolutely worth it- well i am a tourist after all) food and drinks at Dukes. Their cocktails were delicious (the Lahaina burst has a lot to answer for!) and the food menu at the bar was perfect for us. As for their hula pie - wow! I have never seen portion sizes like it (sharing between 2 it was still too much) and it was delicious. We also ate upstairs at the Hula grill which was also really good. The Steak Shack is also a must for anyone wanting a decent amount of food for a decent price - go sit on the beach with your steak - where else can you do that?!

There are so many things that we didn't get to do - i wish we could have seen the other beaches in the sunshine and had another couple of days to travel round. There were other restaurants i would have liked to have tried. We also didn't see Pearl Harbor or get up Diamond Head. We did a bit of paddle boarding (in our wedding outfits!) having hired boards from the Fort DeRussy beach park - which was great fun and got us some amazing photos! But i wish i'd attempted some surfing (although not in my wedding dress!). I wish i'd eaten more poke - i'm not a huge fish fan but i did eventually try it in Maui and now i'm gutted i didn't discover it earlier - although probably better for my bank balance that i didn't! However, all these things will just be on the list for next time and give us a great excuse to return - not that we need an excuse, we already plan to be back for our 5 year wedding anniversary.

HNL airport was a bit of a shock to the system after a week of relaxation – we hadn’t already checked in online and couldn’t work out what we were supposed to do – mainly because we had to fight a huge line of people waiting to go through security which blocked most doors to the airport! We got through the line to check in, only to be told we have to come back to put our suitcases through the screening, to then go back to check in, and then join the line for security, which took a loooong time. I’m glad we arrived early!

The only other thing I can say is how special the aloha spirit felt and what a special place the islands and people really are. 5 years can't come quick enough!

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
1. Re: A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

Sounds like a great wedding and trip !!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,417 posts
2. Re: A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

Congratulations!

Nice trip report! Thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
56,454 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

Oh Sarah, so glad you had such a wonderful time on Oahu. I too love Waikiki!! Didn't you fly to Maui from HNL? Anyway, congratulations and start counting down those days till the 5th!!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

I think it's safe to say that you've been bitten by the Hawaii bug!! There's no cure for It! Occasional trips there will help ease the symptoms!!

Loved your report! I love Waikiki/Oahu too. Its just such a special place. We are going next April and i just cant wait!

Thanks and congratulations on your marriage!

United States
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
33 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

Sarah thank you so much for your Oahu and Maui trip reports. There were such a fun read. I loved imagining you and your new husband there, feel like I shared a little of your joy.

I love that you went paddle boarding in your wedding clothes! It would be terrific if you want to share the photos. As I mentioned in your Maui thread, it’s really easy to post photos on your TA profile. Or lots of people just share a link from another photo platform.

Dorset
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

Fishfiva- yes we did fly to Maui. Don’t tell me we didn’t have to spend all that time in the queue if we were only flying to the next island?!

In an attempt to beat the post holiday blues I am now sat in our garden at home with my husband enjoying a post work Friday evening cocktail very similar to the Lahaina Bursts that we drank so many of at Dukes in Waikiki! We are even sat on our Tommy Bahama beach chairs, which arrived earlier! Unfortunately we don’t have the same amazing views (forgot to mention the pod of dolphins we saw from the beach early one morning!) but it keeps the memories alive. We have even starting binge watching the Hawaii 5-0 box sets (having already watched season 1 of Magnum P.I.) - not for the amazing acting or storylines - I couldn’t tell you what happens in them- but it gives us a great chance to squeal “we’ve been there” - and sometimes even “we got married on that beach!”

California
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
35 reviews
25 helpful votes
7. Re: A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

Sarah, what a beautiful trip report. Thank you so much for sharing... I shared in your joy and excitement. I'm glad you loved Oahu and Waikiki.... we do too!!!! I'm going to read your Maui trip report now and I'll just bet you that you won't be able to wait until your 5th anniversary to return to paradise.

Congratulations and I wish you many years of bliss.

United States
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
33 reviews
44 helpful votes
8. Re: A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

Sarah, thanks for sharing the photos! This one is my favorite.

https:/…848668

Edit - I thought I linked the paddle boarding one, need to click on the arrow to get to that one. You’re a lovely couple.

Edited: 5:12 pm, June 21, 2019
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
20 reviews
54 helpful votes
9. Re: A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report

Mahalo for the lovely report.

Reply to: A massive thank you and a brief(fish) trip/wedding report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted