We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sushi train restaurants

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
Sushi train restaurants

Are there any good sushi train restaurants in the Waikiki area?

8 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
62,620 posts
442 reviews
777 helpful votes
1. Re: Sushi train restaurants

Are there any good sushi train restaurants anyplace in the World? I'd say not. Be that as it may, Genkai and Kuru Kuru have several outlets on Oahu.

www.genkisushiusa.com/locations.html#Oahu

http://www.kurukurusushihawaii.com/menus/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
2. Re: Sushi train restaurants

haha! Yes, we have some good ones in Melbourne! Thank you, I will check those out : )

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7,356 posts
20 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Sushi train restaurants

You can get sushi train places at home. - Why not break loose and eat some poke??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
4. Re: Sushi train restaurants

AlandRoberta, yes we plan to have lots of poke! The kids love sushi train and we don't eat out often here at home. So it would be a treat for them : )

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7,356 posts
20 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Sushi train restaurants

A treat for them might also be to take them to a really good poke place, let them eyeball the many options, have a taste, and pick their favorites. Tamashiro Market would be a great place! Foodland would be a nice second choice. - The staff are very kind and would make it great fun~~~~~~~~~

Edited: 1:50 am, June 21, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
6. Re: Sushi train restaurants

^^^ I like that idea! Thanks for the Tamashiro market tip. I hadn't heard of it.

We have been to Foodland before but this is the kids' first time in Hawaii, so they both look like great options.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
175 reviews
58 helpful votes
7. Re: Sushi train restaurants

I've never eaten there so I don't have personal experience as to what it's like but they've had enough health inspection issues lately that I'd be at least a little wary of Genki Sushi.

https://www.google.com/search?q=genki+sushi+health&rlz=1C1TSND_enUS408US408&oq=genki+sushi+health&aqs=chrome..69i57j33l2.2945j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hawaii
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: Sushi train restaurants

Ah Tamashiro is a great suggestion but be mindful that there is very limited parking in front of the store. Just look it up on Google Maps and go into street view, you can't miss the pink building with the crab outside, you will also see that there is lots of street parking.

Kuru Kuru - This used to be a "good" kaiten sushi, but has gone steadily downhill to the point that I no longer go there (Pearl Kai location).

Genki - I have always wondered why this place is so popular as I consider it to be pretty bad. Plus they have recently been having problems with State Inspectors issuing Red and Yellow cards for violations. Specifically a Hawaii Island location was shut down and the Ala Moana location was briefly shut down then issued a Yellow card allowing them to reopen but have serious issues to fix. AVOID.

If you don't NEED to have a train/conveyor belt sushi experience then I would suggest Katsumidori. It's a little more expensive but the quality is amazing for the price. They can get very busy on weekends and even weekdays but I have never had a problem just walking up with no reservations for weekday lunch right when they open.

If you happen to be out West in Kapolei then Sushi Bay is probably the best deal on the island for quality/price. But it's almost always a long wait...like if you get in within 30 minutes that isn't too bad.

Last thing - there are tons of places that sell pretty good poke. I have tried and liked poke that are in or around town: Alicia's Market, Ono Seafood and Fresh Catch (great plate lunches as well). PLEASE make sure that if you buy Ahi poke that you buy FRESH ahi. Do not buy preserved with carbon monoxide ahi poke, it's tougher and just doesn't taste as good.

Reply to: Sushi train restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted