We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When in Rome - Hawaii Hacks

Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
123 posts
24 reviews
53 helpful votes
When in Rome - Hawaii Hacks

I am most fond of my experiences in HI in which I blend in with the local population. I'm a haole (Caucasian) but it's still possible. Here are some of my "hacks" to hopefully help you have an amazing experience on Oahu and or the other islands.

1. Chill out - you're not on the mainland, you're in the islands, the pace is slow. Don't honk at other drivers because they are moving fast enough on that green light, patience goes a long way.

2. Blend - I like to buy car stickers for my rental car - a Hawaiian islands map sticker is good, HIC (Hawaiian Island Creations) will work or buy a couple of local band stickers such as "The Green or Fiji" etc. Just peel them off prior to turning in your vehicle. This may limit break-ins etc. But note, be smart, don't leave valuables in the car.

3. Clothing - wear your loud Aloha shirts at Luau's or dinners. Again, local brand tshirts will help blend - HIC, University of HI hats, shirts. Go to the local swap meet at Aloha Stadium on Saturday, Sunday for great deals and local t-shirts.

4. Respect - be kind, say hi and smile to everyone - no ALOOOOOHAs, that gets annoying. Treat the local workers in the hotels, restaurants, etc. with respect.

5. Donate - when visiting, donate to the local attractions such as Hanauma Bay, etc. it costs money to protect an preserve, you'll feel better about it.

2 replies to this topic
Ken
Prescott Valley...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1. Re: When in Rome - Hawaii Hacks

I agree with you. Respect goes a long way.

The locals depend on tourist for income but just the same we are visitors and should act accordingly.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
59 reviews
23 helpful votes
2. Re: When in Rome - Hawaii Hacks

Thereʻs no way to disguise a rental car. They always have a bar code in the window. Jeeps, Sebring and Mustang convertibles SCREAM tourist. And local cars get broken into, too, so why bother? Youʻre not fooling anyone. Just donʻt leave anything valuable in the car at any time.

Reply to: When in Rome - Hawaii Hacks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted