We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
76 posts
96 reviews
32 helpful votes
3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

Mid June 2019 (14-24) our family of three (DW, DS (17), and myself) are heading to Hawaii. This trip is a combination 25 anniversary & history trip. My plan is 3 nights on Oahu followed by 6 nights on Maui. I have a thread going in the Maui forum (or will shortly) for that part, but I want to get some additional input for our short Oahu leg.

Our flight will take us from BWI to DFW to HNL on 6/14.

Out flight back will reverse this except leaving from OGG on 6/23 (overnight flight arriving on 6/24)

Right now I'm leaning towards staying at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort.

Our plan is as follows:

Friday 6/14 Arrive in afternoon and just settle in/relax on the beach.

Saturday 6/15 hit up Pearl Harbor (Arizona, Missouri, Bowfish, Pacific Aviation Museum) Basically an all day history/museum tour adventure.

Sunday 6/16 visit the North Shore and perhaps hit the Dole plantation. or, hike Diamond head..

Monday 6/17 fly to Maui.

I'm not sure about doing a Luau on Oahu or Maui. I'm leaning towards Maui to not pack much into the first island,and we have 6 nights on Maui, so plenty of time for a Luau there.

Looking for suggestions on places to eat while in Oahu. Our Maui stay is at a condo (Royal Kahana) where we plan to make most of our meals and dine out mostly for dinner.

41 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
29,618 posts
85 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

Old Lahaina Luau on Maui seems to generally be considered at the best.

I personally would skip Dole Plantation, and I might even suggest you enjoy the day in Waikiki. Maybe hike Diamond Head then back to Waikiki for catamaran sailing, outrigger canoe rides, great shopping and restaurants and places to enjoy the scenery of Waikiki Beach and enjoy a mai-tai or two.

I don't think you are spending nearly enough time on Oahu, and you are certainly going to miss much of what Oahu has to offer. But, it's your choice.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
3 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

If part of focus is history, I think Hawaiin history is more accessible on Oahu than on the other islands. If you like military history there are the museums at Schofield Barracks and Fort DeRussy. The best intro to Hawaiin history is the Bishop Miseum, and the Iolani Palce is the only royal plalace in the US. Waimea Valley sho cases the way of life of the Hawaiin people before westerners arrived, as do the many other ancient sites around the island.

Of course there are historic sites on all the islands, but in my opinion Oahu has the most because of the military history there. I agree with maybe adding a couple of more days on Oahu before heading to Maui.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
76 posts
96 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

Thank you for the feedback. Ironically, the Maui forum feedback is similar thus far: spend more time on Oahu and less on Maui. I'll chat with the family tonight an bring in this feedback.

tia.

United States
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
33 reviews
44 helpful votes
4. Re: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

Hey Jeep, the reason you got that feedback in the Maui forum is because it was from Placebets, an Oahu regular!

We Maui lovers feel you’re spending not nearly enough time on Maui, lol!

The fact is you're squeezing two islands into a good amount of time for one, so something has to give. If you must do both in 9 nights, I think, given your interests, you're doing well with this itinerary.

State College...
Level Contributor
206 posts
37 reviews
69 helpful votes
5. Re: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

I’m partial to Oahu and also would stay there another day if able. When driving to the north shore drive up through the middle and then back to Waikiki along the windward coast-or vise versa.

There’s some great snorkeling spots on Oahu as well.

Switching gears, road to Hana wasn’t my favorite road trip on Maui. I enjoyed sunset at Haleakala if I had to choose one day of driving. But that’s just my opinion.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
76 posts
96 reviews
32 helpful votes
6. Re: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

Thank you for the additional feedback. DW is already 'sold' on the 6 night Maui stay. I want to offer what I have heard here to add to our conversation, but I doubt her feelings will change. We are pushing it staying 9 nights as it is, so we hope to make the best of it with a relaxing time on Maui over the 6 nights.

TX
Level Contributor
132 posts
48 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

And I'm with Teri - I prefer the time on Maui! LOL.

We are actually doing a taste of Hawaii tour next month - Oahu - 3 nights, Maui - 5 nights, Big Island - 4 nights and back to Oahu - 2 nights. I'm going with friends and one has never been to Hawaii. I have never been to the BI, so we are trying to cram a lot into 2 weeks. There are 2 reasons for us to spend as much time in Oahu as we are - one friend has a brother living there and we are flying in and out of HNL. Otherwise I would give up time on Oahu for one of the other 2. This will be my third trip and Waikiki is just not my scene. But there is a lot to do elsewhere and I will repeat some things that I truly enjoy including Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl and visiting the east/north sides.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
3 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

It's your anniversary and if your wife is set on a six night Maui stay I would not press her. Maui is beautiful as are all the islands and you will have a lovely time. I agree to doing the luau on Maui, the best ones in Hawaii are located there.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
56,386 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

I love both islands and have lived on both. You can't go wrong with either. Although I too think you are short changing Oahu. Thing is "happy wife, happy life."

You can see Diamond Head from the beach in Waikiki. For a sample taste of the island of Oahu, take a drive counterclockwise from Waikiki all the way up to the north shore. Some really good snorkeling up there too if your interested. Stop to eat at the shrimp trucks in Kahuku. Visit the world famous beaches of Waimea, Sunset and Ehukai (aka bonsai pipeline). Drive through and/or stop in Haleiwa for shave ice or shopping. Come back down on the H2, you'll pass the Dole Plantation on the way. Might stop for a potty break and maybe Dole Whip.

Since you have a year hopefully you will be able to disembark on the USS Arizona Memorial. Even if you can't it's still worth every penny of the free tickets!!

Get reservations for those tickets on line in advance. You can do that 60 days in advance. It's a busy place in June. You can purchase tickets for the other memorials and attractions after arrival at the Visitors Center.

www.recreation.gov

California
Level Contributor
51,787 posts
19 reviews
29 helpful votes
10. Re: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)

I thought you wanted a "history" trip ... so where's Iolani Palace? Bishop Museum? We could easily add to the list.

Because your trip to Oahu is so very short (you could easily spend weeks there!) ... I think you should focus on activities specific to Oahu. Luau on Maui - unless you have a full day for the Polynesian Cultural Center for the historical aspect. Skip the Dole Plantation (i.e., tourist trap).

Waimea Valley or Kualoa Ranch are good ideas.

So I guess my short answer is ... given your short trip to Oahu (partially jet-lagged) ... do those things that are special to Oahu on Oahu ... and the rest on Maui.

The Outrigger Waikiki is "OK" - very central location. Watch for hidden costs like resort fees (taxed) and parking (taxed). Consider the Hyatt Regency for larger rooms or a Tower room at the Moana Surfrider.

Here is a rough map of Waikiki hotels. www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

Reply to: 3 nights in Oahu (Waikiki) as first leg of our 9 night trip)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted