We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Visiting Oahu For our first time in September, it’s also our honeymoon! After being married in Vegas, we are from the UK and plan to take a one day car hire around the island, my question is do I book the car hire when we get there, or before? I’m thinking before we go, to save the hassle of traipsing round the car hire places, but obviously want to get the best deal without scrimping on safety and choice of car. We have booked with an amazing company in the UK called charter travel, who have been so so good organising everything, so I guess we could book a car hire from them too. Or thoughts appreciated. Aloha !!! XX

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,189 Reviews
Oahu, HI
4 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,753 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

We recommend reserving through a car rental broker. No money up front, you have several places you can pick the car up and they are usually the lowest prices you can get. Take a look at Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. Let them know you are from out of the country and they will let you know what type of insurance you will need. Jigsaw is another one that folks use that are international visitors.

How many nights will you be on Oahu? Have any desire to share some of your plans? I ask due to some out of the country travel agents or companies don't have a clue about Hawaii and come up with strange itineraries or expensive companies to use when you can often pay much less.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

Thank you so much for your message it’s very much appreciated, great tips too !! I will certainly look into the car hire place you mentioned, the travel company we have gone to, charter travel, have a couple certified Hawaiian experts within the group, and particularly the lady that has been helping us is one of those, has been to Hawaii over 15 times, and to Waikiki area at least five times.

as for plans when we have the car? Not really got an itinerary yet, I just want to go out around the island a little bit and check out some of the beaches. Quite fancy mermaid caves As well but I’ve been hearing the currents can be a little bit rough and the drops to get into the caves is a little bit dicey too?

Edited: 5:40 pm, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

International visitors need to be aware of their insurance coverage for rental cars in the US. We travel to the UK frequently and also hire a car. Our personal car insurance and coverage through our credit cards means that we do not need to pay for the coverage offered by car hire companies. Check with your insurance carrier and your credit cards to see if it the same for you when you rent in the US. The insurance the car rental companies offer can greatly increase the cost of your car and you don't want to pay for coverage if you don't need it.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,753 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

If you are staying a week or more rent a car for more than one day. There is soooooo much more to Oahu than Honolulu and the Waikiki area.

For example, if you were to go out to "mermaid cave" it is a long drive and hard to get to if using alternative transportation. Fact is, it's hard to find and dangerous. Something I would never recommend to a visitor. There are great places to see and go to that puts the cave a 1 on a scale of 10.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Reply to: Car Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted