We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Thoughts on Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club?

Would like to split my stay on Oahu between Waikiki and somewhere else (2 adults late-20s). Perhaps a quieter place away from hustle and bustle etc. Am thinking of Ko'Olina.

Would there still be a variety of restaurants in walking distance or close uber (or we could potentially have a hire car) or would we be more confined to only hotel dining?

Would this be a good base to do some drives up the coast to check out other scenery etc?

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
5 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club?

There are quite a few restaurants there. Aulani has a few, Four Seasons also and the strip mall across from the resorts have a few. You could easily eat at a different restaurant every night for a week without a problem.

Another nice resort is the Kohala (haven't stayed there yet) but it's far enough from the busy-ness of Waikiki. Turtle Bay resort is another one, although you'll need a car to get around as there are only 3 restaurants in the area. For a good base to do your North Shore exploring I would choose Turtle Bay.

Edited: 6:44 am, June 10, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Aulani, a Disney Resort...
5,738 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,718 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,040 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club?

We’ve stayed quite a few times at the Marriott as a change to Aulani. It’s quite nice. As we have 3 young kids we always choose a 2 bedroom villa and they are huge!

The complex has two restaurants as well as a small convenience shop plus a bar poolside. They also offer poolside food delivery. There are three pools - a huge one with water volleyball net etc, one that snakes around a grotto and water slide then the third which is targeted at adults and is a “quiet” pool (unfortunately this one we haven’t visited as again we have 3 young kids LOL but it looks gorgeous).

They have sun lounges and umbrellas free at the lagoon and a hire place for SUP, casabellas etc.

The strip at Ko Olina is very compact - you can walk from Paradise Cove Luau to the Marina in less then 20mins. Four Seasons has a few restaurants, Aulani has 3, the strip mall has a number of eateries plus the golf course has Roy’s. If you choose to have a car (highly recommend as you are very removed from Waikiki plus other tourist places) you can even drive to Kapolei which is only 10mins away and opens up a huge number of more places to eat.

We love Ko Olina - for our family, it is our relaxation time. Waikiki is more about shopping, restaurants, people watching etc for us so Ko Olina is just relax, get up whoever, take our time and swim either in the pool or lagoon until late in the day when it’s time to choose a place to eat.

Mentioned in this post
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Aulani, a Disney Resort...
5,738 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Paradise Cove Luau
Paradise Cove Luau
2,327 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Roy's Restaurant
Roy's Restaurant
1,452 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kapolei
Kapolei
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club?

Thanks for the input! Yes thats what my plan is to have a few days away from the hustle and bustle to just chill abit more

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,530 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club?

If it just a few days (3 or less) I probably wouldn't get a condo, I'd get a hotel room.

Ko Olina can be a good starting point for the North Shore and Makaha, but lousy for going to Waikiki/Pearl Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,040 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Makaha
Makaha
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
161 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
477 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club?

We love Marriott's Ko'Olina Bech Club. We/ve stayed there quite a few times and we loved it that we became an owner. My kids love it there and enjoy the "relaxing" week while we're there. We also do stay in Waikiki a few nights to enjoy the "crowd" and shopping. We do like that Ko'Olina is away from all the busy area like Waikiki.

If you have a car, we find it easy to get around as well. Last year, Kapolei had a new shopping area called Ka Makana Ali'i, with lots of stores and restaurants and it's like a 10 minute ride (Or maybe less) from Ko'Olina and my kids loved it. There are also restaurants inside the Ko'Olina area where you can walk and have a few restaurants. People like MonkeyPod Kitchen, I agree with what hqsmumma mentioned.

Edited: 4:01 pm, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kapolei
Kapolei
Oahu, HI
Monkeypod Kitchen
Monkeypod Kitchen
2,690 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Reply to: Thoughts on Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted