We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's in North Beach

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
964 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Must do's in North Beach

We are staying in Waikkiki, and plan on driving to North Beach for a day. So far the only thing we have planned is the Shark Encounters in the morning. What are the best beaches to see or hang out? Good places to eat?

I was in Oahu about 10 years ago and never really left Waikkiki so I really want to see North Beach and get away from the highrises. We are thinking about doing some kind of picnic lunch at one of the beaches. Then do a few drinks somewhere with a nice view, then hang out some more. Finish the day off with a nice dinner then drive back to our hotel.

There will be 4 adults in a convertible, I know thats really tight, but I'm very petite only 5'1".

Any advice is appreciated! :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
900 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's in North Beach

I'll assume you are referring to the North Shore, which encompasses a rather large area. The most popular beaches are Sunset Beach, Pipeline, and Waimea Bay. You'll want to spend some time watching the surfers here, and it would be a great place for a picnic too. Please keep in mind that during the winter, these beaches are very dangerous and you shouldn't be swimming. They become more swimmable during the summer months. Always heed the warnings of signs and lifeguards.

For your picnic, there is a Foodland Grocery Store just down the road from Pipeline, and there are lots of restaurants and take out places in the town of Hale'iwa.

You could go and spend a bit of time at the Turtle Bay Resort. The beaches are public there, so you can swim. I don't know if they charge for parking as we were staying at the hotel, so it was free for us.

You should definately spend some time in Hale'iwa walking around. It's a really nice historical town with shops, restaurants, galleries, and a small but detailed surf museum.

If you want, you could also visit the Polynesian Cultural Centre, which is close by. However, you should really dedicate an entire day just to that.

I love love love the area, so IMO it's absolutely worth visiting.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,031 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's in North Beach

Lots of info including things on North Shore. You might want to do driving tour #2 backward as you are starting in Haleiwa.

Several restaurants at Turtle Bay Resort.

They have some free parking spaces for people going to the beach there. But if they are filled you might have to pay a few $$ for parking. Tell the security station guard thet you are going to the beach.

Waimea Beach is the most scenic beach on North Shore.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Oahu
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's in North Beach

totally depends on when you're visiting!

N shore surf is big in winter, flat, calm and crystal clear in summer, so what you do will depend on when you come!

If summertime:

i recommend Dole, hit Waimea Bay (turquoise water) or even better 3 Tables (just up the hill from the bay) for snorkeling, walk Papailoa beach or Mokuleia (you'll probably be alone), hike Pupukea or Kealia trail, drive along the beach to Turtle Bay resort (have a lava flow drink by the pool), some shrimp from the shrimp truck in Kahuku or go back to Haleiwa town to stroll along the shops, galleries, coffee house and eat at Haleiwa Eats, an inexpensive, great BYOB Thai place or Jamison's rest for the sunset.

If winter:

no swimming or snorkeling, but watching the big wave surfers, check the surf report daily while here, very unpredictable.

N shore is magical...

keep the country country!

Texas
Level Contributor
566 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's in North Beach

Keneke's BBQ in Waimanalo. Get their plate lunch if you are hungry, or just a shave ice if you're traveling. It looks unimpressive beside the road, but the food is plentiful and the shave ice is yummy.

Shark's Cove if you like to snorkel. Across the street is a Starbucks where you can get a souvenir cup with North Shore on it. Sunset Beach to sit and watch surfers. Makapuu Beach if you like to watch hang gliding.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's in North Beach

Oh my!!! Yes on the shrimp from the shrimp trucks. We had it from Giovanni's Shrimp truck. It was so delicious!! The truck looks like something the Health Dept. would shut down back at home, but what wonderful shrimp! We did NOT have the "hot", we had the milder version. I want some right now!!! You will see the trucks parked in various spots along the North Shore. Not difficult to find one.

Also, ask about Ted's Bakery while you are up there. They are famous for their Chocolate Haupia Pie. It is DIVINE!!

The shrimp is carry out only so you can get it and go eat wherever you want. Same with the pie.

Oh man I am hungry!! Haleiwa is such a great little town....have fun!!!

We ate at Jamison's once and really enjoyed it, no twice I think.

I read somewhere that sometimes the cast members from "Lost" go there. I wish I could bump into someone from that show!!!

st pete, fla
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do's in North Beach

the north shore is my favorite! i love eating mexican at Cholo's in the haleiwa marketplace and grabbing a coffee at the coffee gallery a few doors down. browsing the shops up there is fun too and of course the variety of beaches. my favorite is waimea bay, if the turtles are ashore they are so fun to watch (but not touch of course!!!). they are at this unmarked (as far as i could see) beach a few miles after haleiwa.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
964 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do's in North Beach

Yes I meant North Shore, not North Beach. Thanks for all the recommendations. I actually have done PCC and Dole before and have no interest in going back. Looking for more beachy and not so toursity things this time around.

Can you tell me how the shrimp is prepared, does it come with rice or a side dish?

Keep the suggestions coming please ... :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do's in North Beach

We are planning a trip to North Shore at end August. Any surfing going on then? Still good snorkeling time?

Texas
Level Contributor
566 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do's in North Beach

Yes, still good snorkeling and surfing. Snorkeling is best in the morning. And if you are playing in the water, watch the surfers to know when to get out, which is around dusk when the sharks can't tell the difference between you and dinner.

10. Re: Must do's in North Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, August 30, 2009