We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The "Toilet Bowl"

Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
The "Toilet Bowl"

Anyoone know what i'm talking about? You walked around the edge of the bay at hanauma and came to the toilet bowl? you cant walk around there anymore since theyve blocked it all off, and a cop said that the only way to view the toilet bowl area was by boat. What happened there? that was pretty cool. and the "crack" that we would dive into and swim through the canal to the opening of the water... guess that was kinda dangerous. but exciting! Anyone know why there is no access to this area anymore?

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,975 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: The "Toilet Bowl"

My husband and I talked to one of the Hanauma Bay volunteers regarding that, and he told us that the State does not want any litigations if some accidents happen. Thus they closed down both the path to Toilet Bowl (north end) and Witches Brew (south end). (We were pretty bummed.) According to the volunteer, it all started with the people who got killed from the rock slide on Mother's Day a few years ago at Sacred Falls who sued the State and won. (I will skip any commentary at this point...)

Waco, TX
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
2. Re: The "Toilet Bowl"

hawaiiweb.com/oahu/…toilet_bowl.htm

Here is a link to photo's of Toilet Bowl...practically grew up there...lived in Hawaii 1966 - 1985, spent much of my youth in Hawaii Kai...100's of days spent @ Hanauma Bay and Toilet Bowl...also Witches Brew on the other side...used to swim in to get what had floated in from the ocean...the currents brought alot of things into Witches Brew like Japanese fishing balls (big glass balls)...pretty cool and yes swimming through the crack to the left of the actual bowl did look scary...I used to watch my friend Chris Lavoie do it...I was always too scared.

Thanks for the memories...we were just there with my wife and kids (12/29 - 1/8)...went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay...I had looked forward to showing Toilet Bowl to my kids, but a fence keeps you from getting to it, or Witches Brew, that side was fenced as well.

I'm sure it's yet another bureaucratic (? Spelling) red tape issue...they don't want to deal with any lawsuits....

Aloha!

honolulu
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: The "Toilet Bowl"

Yes, fun and kinda dangerous...

A good friend, who's an good swimmer & surfer, local guy, broke his arm at Toilet Bowl, and we all know someone who's been either really injured there or had a very narrow escape. So it's not just a matter of avoiding potential litigation but of actual danger.

Fairly recently, a tourist boy stood OVER a blowhole down by Halona Blowhole. Of course he was badly injured (afraid I can't remember if he did die), and his family sued the state for not warning people to not stand over that particular blowhole!

Toilet Bowl was closed soon after that. I guess between the injuries and not needing another lawsuit like the blowhole suit, it was too much.

Sad all the way around. Maybe Toilet Bowl will be reopened one day - you'd think that enough warning signs + the drain on the budget to monitor that no one's going there will be enough to let people decide for themselves whether they want to break their arms ;) No, really, if it does reopen, I promise to start a thread on this site, because it is a blast.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
91 posts
4. Re: The "Toilet Bowl"

He died. He was sucked into the blowhole right in front of his family. He ignored the posted signs about the danger of entering the area. I understand people were yelling at him to stay away from the area but he ignored their pleas. What a tragedy for the family.

Toilet Bowl and Witches Brew also have a history of drownings. If you see signs posted to stay out of these types of areas, it is for good reason.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: The "Toilet Bowl"

If there are signs up then people enter the area at their own peril, therefore how can they sue?? I know it happens a lot over in the US (and is starting to happen more in UK as well), but in my opinion, nobody but the person who disregarded warnings should be held accountable when this type of accident happens, sad as it is for the family.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,880 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: The "Toilet Bowl"

Simple, we have way to many lawyers.

You sue for say 10 million dollars. The person who died is found to be 90% at fault but perhaps the lettering was small or obscured a bit so the state is 10% responsible.

Net, a cool million for the states share of fault.

I am not saying all lawyers are bad but 99% give the rest a bad name.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
91 posts
7. Re: The "Toilet Bowl"

No Bill, actually we have too many visitors that take unnecessary risks. They mistakenly believe that they are invincible, simply because they are on vacation.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,880 posts
53 reviews
8. Re: The "Toilet Bowl"

sdrawkcab, on that we are in 100% agreement.

We have a summer place in northern Michigan and see the exact same thing. I think people take their brains out and leave them at home when they go on vacation.

Whenever we visit the islands we heed all signage, do not trespass and basicly treat everything like we should...we don't own it and we want to leave it as is for others to enjoy. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen visitors see a pretty flower then go pick it. Ok so they can enjoy it for a couple of hours whereas had they left it dozens could have enjoyed it.

honolulu
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: The "Toilet Bowl"

yes, sdrawcab is right. And then they think they should sue because the signs weren't enough, that they're entitled to take risks & get compensation.

Why not say, not too many lawyers, since really only a few specialize in this & often they are doing a good service since negligence does exist, but --too many greedy people who can't accept that they or their family really made a mistake, that the fault wasn't someone else's who should be sued & taught a lesson. And too many juries who just want to give someone who's hurt some money because they feel sorry for the harm.

Anyway - visitors beware. Many warnings & closings are there because the danger exists, not because people sue. I'd guess the boy who died standing over the blowhole ignored warnings because he thought they were the city's attempt at avoiding liability. It's a dangerous way to think.

TEXAS
Level Contributor
270 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: The "Toilet Bowl"

c.ford,,,,how did your friend break his arm? the crack was scarey but the toilet bowl was fairly tame IMO.