We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top hotels/activities in Waikiki if you only have one night!

Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Top hotels/activities in Waikiki if you only have one night!

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been snooping for awhile ...

Our family of 4 (with a boy 10 and a girl 8) have a trip planned this summer to Hawaii ... we've never been! We'll be staying at a house in Hanalei, Kauai for a week because we are looking to get away from crowds and looking for a little nature.

However ...

We have an extra day to burn and we thought we might spend the first day of the vacation right in Waikiki and do classic and cliche'd Hawaii things like the Brady's ... luau's, Waikiki beach, blow on a conch shell!

We'll have less than 24 hrs before heading back to the airport for the flight to Kauai, so we want to hit the highlights ... what are they?

Thanks!

Benkam

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top hotels/activities in Waikiki if you only have one night!

First of all, I would recommend the Outrigger on the Beach.

If you only have a day, it will be crunched. Wait until you are on Kauai to do a luau!

Pearl Harbor would be a highlight. Experience Waikiki beach(just out the door if you stay at the Outrigger). Swim in the ocean. Time may not allow, but the North Shore of Oahu is where all of the BIG waves are and also the die hard surfers.

Surfing lessons are available on the beach in front of the hotel.

On the street side of the hotel, you can just walk and shop and eat! Waikiki is a busy, bustling place, but fun. The rest of the island is beautiful, but you are time limited so you may not get to see all of it. Dukes in the Outrigger has a wonderful breakfast buffet. Last Feb. it was 11.00 per person.

The Cheesecake factory a couple of doors down, is great for lunch or dinner. Go early for dinner to avoid the long lines.

We love Waikiki/Oahu, but our list of things to do would require 4 days minimum. I hope you enjoy the time you do have there.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Top hotels/activities in Waikiki if you only have one night!

Waikiki has a variety of great hotels ranging from tourist class to luxury - depends on what your budget is. Almost all will be within a few minutes walk to the beach. Beachfront hotels tend to be pricey and the same accommodations can be had for much less just one block in from the beach.

Duke's at the Outrigger is family friendly, affordable and right on the beach...great fun for people watching. The Cheesecake Factory is also great for kids, but the lines can be daunting during peak hours, so it may not be the best choice if you're limited on time. Ono's is a great Hawaiian food takeout place and Leonard's Bakery is known for their malasadas (Portuguese donuts that are local favorites). Both are located on Kapahulu Ave. at the Diamond Head of Waikiki.

Waikiki's a great place to take some surf lessons. The beach boys are out every morning and are very good to newbies of all ages. For the less adventurous, you could jump on a canoe ride to catch the waves at the same beach the surfers do. The beach boys hang out in front of the Duke Kahanamoku statue and you'll have no problem finding them. There are also a few catamarans by the Outrigger/Duke's that offer rides.

At sunset, loincloth (malo) clad guys run along Waikiki beach blowing conch shells and lighting the tiki torches. There's also a free hula show by the beach, which is a special treat. Save the luau for Kauai, since the ones in Waikiki are very touristy.

I'd try and see the Arizona Memorial so the kids can learn a little about the history of Pearl Harbor. The tour is free, so go early because space is limited. As a nice bonus, there's usually a couple of veterans volunteering who can share with you firsthand what it was like during the attack.

A hike up Diamond Head would also be fun if you have the time. Be sure to bring a flashlight because you climb up stairs through an old bunker at the very top. The views are incredible. When I was growing up, we used to that hike all the time with school groups - lots of fun being adventurous.

Lots of shopping is available and a stroll through the International Marketplace is always fun for first-timers. You can haggle with the vendors for better prices and the kids will love looking at all the touristy trinkets.

Have fun!

Get answers to your questions about Oahu