We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whales and Kalaupapa questions

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Whales and Kalaupapa questions

Aloha, planning a trip to Molokai in January with a friend who really, really wants to see whales - is one side of the island better than the other for viewing them (should this influence where we stay)? We're also going to do Kalaupapa, prob hike down and fly up. How many hours should we allow for that? If we hike will we be on your own schedule and we just have to be at the bottom at a particular time to catch the flight up? If we do the Halawa Valley hike with Kalani as recommended how much time do we have to allow for that? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whales and Kalaupapa questions

I have the information I need about Kalaupapa, but still interested in advice about whale viewing and the Halawa Valley. Thanks!

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whales and Kalaupapa questions

Aloha ... you will see whales from all sides of the island, so I would just stay in a place that sounds good to you without worrying about the whales. You might want to take a whale sightseeing boat to get a closer view, although I'd do that early in the day since the channel can be quite rough later.

I definitely recommend the Halawa Valley hike to the falls with Kalani. It's fabulous. And if it were me I'd plan on most of the day so that you can include sightseeing along the east coast on the way down into the valley. The hike itself might only take up 3-4 hours (can't remember exactly, but that includes time at the falls to swim and eat if you wish), and also look around the flower farm. You might also want to spend some time at the double beaches at the end of the road (although do not go swimming there in January). But it's a beautiful place to just sit and ponder the wonder of it all (and maybe see whales!). Esp. if you stay on the west end of the island, I would recommend making this an all day trip, as it'll take you an hour each way to drive. Another stop is 20 mile (Murphey's) beach for snorkeling. If you stay on the east end (which we do since we love it), you can do these things on different days however. Although keep in mind that the east end IS the wetter end .... which makes it greener and lush. The large rock formation that you will see off the northeast coast is called Kahana Rock and is favorite spot for whales. You will see plenty there, and also there's a great pull off just above 20 mile beach that is a great viewing point for whale watching.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whales and Kalaupapa questions

Oh, thanks so much Shatawkwa, that's exactly what I needed. I'm really looking forward to visiting Molokai - it sounds like my kind of place. I just needed a little help with the timing of things, so that's all great advice. I will plan a whole day to explore Halawa and the east end. I have read a lot about whether to stay in the west or the east in terms of individual preferences (and dry vs. wet). With only a few days, then, wouldn't it make sense to split the difference and stay in or near Kaunakakai for ease of access to all directions, west, east, and north?

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whales and Kalaupapa questions

Yes, if you'll only be on Molokai for a few days, then staying near town definitely makes sense. On our first trip we did that as well. It also makes it handy to get to the Saturday Market in Kaunakakai town early in the morning. Also, don't miss the Aloha Friday fun .... 4-6 at Hotel Molokai. And a similar event at Coffees of Hawaii at 3 pm on Sundays.

5. Re: Whales and Kalaupapa questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 13, 2014