We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4wd question

New Jersey
Level Contributor
81 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
4wd question

It seems very difficult to FIND a 4wd vehicle to rent on Molokai. I am looking more than a month out for end of October. Any recommendations? Is one really needed? what will I miss if I just have a fwd jeep?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4wd question

It's likely that you will breach your rental contract by off-roading. Indeed, the companies have been known to disable the 4WD. You really don't need it. Chances are, if you're somewhere you do need it you're somewhere you ought not to be.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
81 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4wd question

So are there places I will want to/should go (first time visitor) that require it? Why do the tour books advise it if it's not available?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4wd question

Tour books don't always know what's what. You might want to PM dolphindoodle, who's a Molokai expert.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4wd question

We have a 4WD picku[k truck over there and frankly have never put it in 4WD. We go down to Hale O Lono, which is a rough road in spots, and never needed it The only place I think you would need one is if you go up into the reserve on the mountain. If it has been raining it can be slippery. Years ago when our son came over to visit we had an old rental car and he went up there with it, but then again, he's a lot younger than us and not so leary about things, ha-ha. Have a great trip!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
81 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4wd question

Thanks so much to all.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4wd question

My mother lives on Molokai so I go there yearly. As long as you have good ground clearance you should be fine. A 2 wheel drive jeep will do it. I can not recall once in 10 years where I engaged the 4 wheel drive. Obviously stick to the path in front of you.

7. Re: 4wd question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 01, 2014