We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molasses

Boston
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Molasses

Wow, sure hope that that molasses leak over in Oahu got cleaned up and no more poor fish are damaged! I remember my Dad talking about the molasses crisis in Boston that happened in like 1911. He said that great big wooden vats that held molasses exploded covering the streets etc. He said it was a terrible mess and you could smell molasses for years and years during the heat of summer in Boston.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,731 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molasses

Hi Dolphin!

There's nothing they can do to clean it up..........only time and the tides will do the job. Since the molasses is so heavy, it sank and is on the ocean floor in/near the harbor. I think the fish/marine kill will go on for a while yet.......very sad.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molasses

The Star-Advertiser is reporting that the EPA is coming in with a technique not only to protect sensitive areas but also to help disperse and break down the contaminants. Only time will tell whether it works.

3. Re: Molasses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, September 15, 2014