We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think? Is Molokai for us?

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What do you think? Is Molokai for us?

Hi everyone

I've really enjoyed reading all the posts (both negative and positive) on this forum. Here is a question I posed on the big island forum, and now I'll try here.

We have had 3 trips each on Oahu, Maui and the last three years Kauai. We LOVE Kauai the best, hence my screen name.

We thought we'd try a different island next year, so am doing a little research.

We are looking for sun, sun, sun, beautiful beaches, snorkelling, palm trees (I am obsessed with palm trees--you should see my photos). A ground floor condo as close to the ocean as possible. We stay at Kuhio Shores in Kauai, so clean and comfortable is important, luxury is not. We eat breakfast and lunch generally at "home" but like to go out for drinks and dinner. We love to hike and explore. Feb 07 is the timeframe we're looking at.

Keeping in mind all of the recent posts I have read--in all 9 of our 2 or 3 week trips, have never felt scared or unsafe. We were approached to buy marijuana in Maui several times, but hey, we live in Vancouver--it is a common occurrence. Just say no.

So what do you think? We hate island hopping, so spend the full 2 weeks in one spot to really get to know the area and relax, relax, relax.

Thanks for any input!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you think? Is Molokai for us?

Sound to me like you'd do fine on Moloka'i. Don't know about spending 2 weeks there, although I'm sure you can find plenty of hikes to keep you occupied. Hope you like early dinners, though. <G>

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you think? Is Molokai for us?

We LOVE Molokai; next year will be visit # six. However, two weeks is a mighty long time. You'll need to depart from a major airport anyway so you might want to see if there are direct flights home from (since you haven't been there) the Big Island.

Maui
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you think? Is Molokai for us?

Do a week at Paniolo Hale if you can. Some great units available by owner. But drinks and dinner out will be a daily drive.