We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Molokai

Krum, Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
First time to Molokai

Hi, my nephew and I will be visiting Molokai as part of a trip to celebrate his high school graduation. We will be arriving on Friday June 2nd and leaving Sunday June 4th on the afternoon ferry. Any suggestions for activities and "not to miss" places to visit?

Are there any local folks who provide a great

informative tour of the island? It would be great to visit any community events, if visitors are welcome. Thanks for any input...Ed

Sudbury, MA
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time to Molokai

Here is a link to pictures & more info on Iliiliopae which includes a contact number for obtaining permission to visit:

hawaiiweb.com/molokai/…iliiliopae_heiau.html

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time to Molokai

the meetings and arguments about if visitors can go to these places, who is allowed to guide them if anyone at all, are ongoing in local politics. the story goes that years back some tourists hiking to the waterfalls injured themselves, and after finding out that it is private land, some ambulance-chaser lawyer sued the land owner. stuff like that spoils it for everybody.

i have always hired a local guide when i first hiked or explored an area by hiking or van. there is alot to be learned, and on our own we cannot get the real feel of the history, cultural respect, flora and fauna of a place. and i never missed the money spent. the memories last forever.

recently we did the hana, maui tour.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,975 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time to Molokai

interesting situation jwg ... I commented only because your original post didn't reflect the amount of thought you put into it. It's very true that property owners don't all care equally ... some post for liability protection from lawsuits, some truly don't want the land invaded.

I think in the current climate of upset I would want to go onto private property with someone local, at minimum-- aside from the respect issue, never know what one might find these days in the way of hostility. Not talking about this place specifically, but in general, if one goes off away from where people can see, and on private property, and happens to encounter some hostile people, one is in a bad position, you know?

Guidebooks are flawed, they take time to reprint, so they don't reflect the current social climate for volatile situations. It's better to ask around, as it seems you did.

When it comes to trespassing, "the guidebook said it was OK" is not going to be a well-received defense, so I hope no one bases a decision to ignore a sign on a guidebook blurb.