We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

Molokai is wonderful! I can't say this enough! It's like visiting a tiny coastal town in the US south, but on a gorgeous tropical island. I didn't go there for fancy this and that, I went there because I wanted peace and quiet away from a tourist hell-hole. Here are some things to consider if you decide to go:

--Everything is very, very, VERY expensive! Budget a lot for groceries especially. In hindsight, I should have arranged for a produce box from a local farm and bought more items in bulk from Outpost Natural Foods.

--Do plenty of research online before you go. visitmolokai.com has a wealth of information that is mostly up to date.

--Be flexible! Some things might be closed, or activities discontinued, even if the website says otherwise.

--If you want to go on a guided hike or tour, arrange it in advance to be on the safe side, but there are no guarantees (see my Halawa Valley review.)

--If you want fresh fish you should catch it yourself or chat up the locals and hope somebody will sell you some of their catch.

--Restaurants are basic, not open late, and don't take credit cards so plan to cook for yourself most of the time.

--You need a rental car and you will drive a lot. A 4WD is necessary if you plan to go off a paved road at all.

--Everybody has roosters so bring earplugs if you like to sleep in.

--Nobody is in a hurry and stores close early.

--Hiking to/from Kaluapapa will make you sore for DAYS!

--Every amazing beach I went to was completely EMPTY!

--People are friendly if you are friendly!

I found Molokai to be a land of contrasts, from the terrain to the people. I was blown away by so much beauty, and saddened by so much poverty and neglect. I sincerely hope the residents are able to continue successfully fending off the ugly tourist infrastructure plaguing the other islands, and build sustainable businesses to help lift their fortunes. There is a palpable sense of pride coming from the people of Molokai, even if the junked out cars and litter might lead you to believe otherwise. As more than one person told me, "Molokai is special" and I have to agree. It's not too late to right the wrongs of harmful exploitation and restore the land and people to their former glory. Go here if you want to see a living, breathing Hawaii. Don't go here if you want to visit a shopping mall on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Halawa Valley
Halawa Valley
178 Reviews
Molokai, HI
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

Applause..Applause

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

That's Moloka'i....thanks for sharing. Even the roosters are nice....provided you are first.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

It takes a certain type of visitor to really "get" Molokai. Congratulations, and thanks for letting us know how much you loved it!!

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

i'm still here. it is now 10 years. loving it. totally adjusted to lifestyle, people, never feel lonely like i did in a crowd of strangers. but "touristy spots" are fun too. yes, junk cars, intersting! there are some in one yard in Kualapuu, they are 40s and 50s models. every time i see them i smile: how many cats have made kittens in them over the years? and why are those cars still there? yes, you need to find out werhe the entertainment is: Thrusday nights is rib night at the Cookhouse, anyone who thinks he can play an instrument can come and show what he's got. Friday afternoons the Kupuna are singing from 4-6 at the Hotel. Sundays from 3 to 5 other Kupunas are singing at the Coffees of Hawaii. the Saturday Market in town with the many fresh fruits and veggies. there is lots to do here!

Mentioned in this post
Kualapuu
Kualapuu
Molokai, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,455 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

Aloha,

So glad you enjoyed Moloka'i! When are you going back?!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

BRAVO! You described Molokai to a tee and you fit right in because you got what the island and her people are all about! Five more days and we'll be back for the winter.........can't wait to get out of this cold dreary weather and be back to the sunshine and warmth of the blessed island of Molokai........rooosters and all, ha-ha!

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

Dolphin...and that will be very soon, won't it? it gets bit too quiet here when everyone is gone for the summer. i like it when there is alot of laughter around the bar as long as they keep it down a bit whlle the kupuna are singing on fridays.

we had the "road scholars" here, (formerly the elderhostel), last friday. that is always nice when they come and talk story.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

Nice Ilima, I'm glad I heard from you. Love the fact that there will be visitors from the cruise ship this weekiend. Hopefully they will come to the Saturday Market which will be awesome for the vendors. If all goes well I plan to be there on Saturday after we return, so probably will saunter up to your end and say hello!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,869 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

Aloha,

You have made some interesting observations while you were there.

Glad you had a nice time,

Aloha

10. Re: Trip report--Molokai is exactly what I wanted in a vacation!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Molokai