We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation Advice

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation Advice

Molokai experts - does anyone know anything about the following 2 places.

www.vrbo.com/25688

www.mtaonline.net/~martylen/accomm.htm

Thanks much.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation Advice

Anyone ???

Boston
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation Advice

Sorry you haven't heard from anyone. I have seen this on VRBO and assume it's one of the places on the East End that is not visible from the road. We stay on Molokai during the winter, but have not seen this place or heard anything about it.

Jeannie

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation Advice

i don't know any of the vacation rentals here either.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation Advice

No specific knowledge, but they are both situated in one of the most beautiful locations in all of Hawaii. Don't like to answer a question with questions, but here are a couple:

1) Are they "legal rentals"? I'm not qualified to discuss, but there are Molokai regulars (present company included) who are very much up on this issue. The reason I ask is that another property in the neighborhood claims to be the only one:

http://www.molokai-beachfront-cottages.com/

2) Do the owners accept credit card payments? It's one of the most effective means of insurance against disappointment, due to misrepresentation, there is when it comes to travel.

As a long-time Molokai booster, sure hope everything works out for you...please report on your experiences.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation Advice

only one of the 100 rentals on moloka'i (except the hotel, moloka'i shores condos and wavecrest) has a county permit, same situation as on maui. now there is a plan to permit b&bs and vacation homes whose owner lives on site. but by the time they get around to doing this, i'll be dead. good thing is that meanwhile the maui planning people don't seem to force any more to shut down. on moloka'i that would totally shut down any livelihood here. with the airfares up and the ranch closed, there are few visitors to be seen around town although the muleride is busy.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation Advice

Thanks for all your help.

Kam..... yes, that is in the back of my mind about being a legal rental. It doesn't look like either of them take credit cards, and both require 50% deposit when booking.

Jeannie - where do you stay on Molokai?

Any recommendations from Molokai regulars would be much appreciated.

Actually DH and I are heading back to Kauai next March, but are seriously thinking about Molokai in the future (not too distant).

Thanks again everyone.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation Advice

i don't think it's right to charge 50% of the rent before booking. the hotels don't do that. one night's deposit should suffice.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation Advice

I don't like the 50% down when you book either, but I was just looking at Molokai's "only legally licensed" rental - Dunbar Beachfront Cottages and they require 50% at time of reservation also.

I would prefer to stay in a small beachfront cottage somewhere (rather than one of the condo complexes) - not sure what to do.

Any other recommendations for places to stay would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Pasadena
Level Contributor
609 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation Advice

Gilbert56,

Last August we rented the "Mother Ocean" house, check it out on VRBO web site. I have no financial interest in the home, we just happened upon it last summer. The photographs accurately portray the home. It was incredible!!

This was our first, and so far only time that we've rented from a private owner. Not one problem. In fact the owners live in Southern California about 15 minutes from my husband's business. I know we paid a deposit, but can't remember the amount. The house was $400 a night.

The house you posted on vrbo ,sounds like it's probably in the same area as the Mother Ocean. It is true that the water here is murky, but the view of the ocean and of neighboring Lanai was wonderful! We saw ships at sea carrying those train cargo things. Incredible.

:-) Bobbi

Pasadena
Level Contributor
609 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation Advice

Hey Gilbert56,

Just noticed you're from Alaska. We're taking our first trip to Alaska ,no Hawaii this summer :-(

We'll be spending a week in Canada before going on the cruise. Enjoy!

:-) Bobbi