We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantis Submarine

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Atlantis Submarine

I saw it listed as one of the excursions I can purchase with my trip. I was wondering how good it was and anythign else anybody could tell me

Arizona
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantis Submarine

It's expensive, but it's actually a lot cooler than I thought it would be. You see about as much as you see on a decent snorkeling day, but the whole experience is pretty neat. You take a trip on a boat that leaves Lahaina harbor and goes about 2 miles to the dive site. When you get there, you see the submarine surface, and the people who were on it come off and come onto your boat. Then you board. It goes down as much as 130 feet and you're down for about 30 to 40 minutes. Then you surface and the boat is waiting with a new group to go down. One of the best parts is watching the sub submerge after you get off and the next group goes down.

We liked it, perhaps because I had such low expectations going in. But it turned out to be a lot of fun.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantis Submarine

Well, we did the Atlantis boat off Waikiki and have somewhat mixed feelings about it - mainly because the area we descended to was pretty much devoid of much to see (hopefully the Maui dive will be in a better area for this) - so the very large windows were not of a whole lot of use. On the other hand (as mentioned above) the "dive" experience was kind'a cool.

I think I would give it a try if I were you (just don't expect too much).

Ken

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantis Submarine

I am hyperventilating just reading this thread!!!! I don't like small enclosed spaces..

San Diego...
Level Contributor
347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantis Submarine

We too did the Waikiki Atlantis Submarine. I personally felt it was a waste of money (I believe it was about $90.00 or so per person--if it was $25 I might be singing a differnt tune). Maybe it was just a bad day but we saw almost nothing. If we had children however, I think it might be more worth it just for the overall fun of going in a submarine but for two adults it was just ho-hum.

Arizona
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlantis Submarine

One of the cool things about the Maui trip is that the dive site centers on a sunken dutch vessel for which the Atlantis people bought the salvage rights. It's interesting all by itself. It's also been made a home by some marine life, so I would think the chances of seeing no fish would be somewhat remote, but perhaps we just got lucky. Without the fish, I wouldn't have liked it as much.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlantis Submarine

We did the Maui dive a few years ago. If you snorkel or scuba, it will not be very exciting.

A couple of years ago, the Cartheginian was too old and too expensive to be refurbished... they may have purchased the old rotting ship to sink it in the local waters and make an interesting sight for the tourists and a magnet for sealife.

7. Re: Atlantis Submarine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 21, 2009