We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 23 to 29

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
April 23 to 29

My husband and I will be in Maui for a week at end of April.

We are finding it difficult to agree on where on the island to stay, and whether the exuberant hotel costs are worth it

Or whether it makes just as much sense to get an Airbnb.

Can anyone give guidance? Are planning on doing both adventurous things and take part in some beach time (would be open to any suggestions people have considering how little time we are there for) but what part should we stay on? And is it worth staying on one end for 2-3 nights and then switching locations?

Also; any hotel recommendations that are decently priced but nice would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
70,225 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April 23 to 29

Hotels don't have to be exorbitant here, but can be depending on what site you're using and many other factors.

Maui has a TON of condos available for vacation rental...........but be careful using airbnb or vrbo. Remember that no listing on any of these sites is vetted in any way. Before you decide, post links here and chances are excellent someone will know of the complex or even the exact unit.

Please give us your nightly budget in USD, for lodging. We can help much more.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,003 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April 23 to 29

First of all forget Airbnb...most in the islands are illegal rentals. If you find resort prices exorbitant, check out condos using VRBO or better yet, one of the management companies listed to the upper right.

What is your nightly budget? We can help.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
70,225 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April 23 to 29

Here's a link to West side agencies:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220… and one to south side ones:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April 23 to 29

Thanks! We are flexible with accommodations. Is there a hotel you would recommend? Our budget is 100to $200 a night

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
70,225 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April 23 to 29

Start with the Maui Eldorado, Royal Kahana, Kaleialoha, Noholani, Mahina Surf, Polynesian Shores, Nohonani, maybe Paki Maui.

Your budget at 100 per night is low, but these all may be close, especially for a studio condo.

All but the Eldorado are oceanfront. The Eldorado isn't, but has a great private beach cabana building. Be warned it is doing work on its main pool and garage, though.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April 23 to 29

This is such a great start -thank you. Had no idea such a thing existed! Are these located in areas you would recommend staying in? Are there any others that may be a bit more expensive? I figured we might splurge on a couple of nights for our anniversary :)

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
70,225 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April 23 to 29

Remember, these are condos, not hotels and not resorts. But that gives you the freedom to keep expenses down and also gets you out and about for food and fun!

These are all on the west side, there are many on the south side too. Most of the less expensive ones there will not be oceanfront.

I'd look for a condo for most of the time, with a hotel for your last two nights.

Yes, we have plenty of more expensive condos....but consider a splurge at the end instead.

Edited: 12:24 am, April 10, 2016
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April 23 to 29

Great idea - browsing for condos at the west end as we speak! Do you think it makes sense to stay at the same place on the west end for the full seven days, or to spend a few nights on the south side too?

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
70,225 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April 23 to 29

You might get a better rate staying at one place. But if you decide to try two, look at the Marriott Wailea for the end.

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: April 23 to 29

Ok...I'm freaking out after reading your post! I am flying into Maui on the 20th and we are staying in a house near Hana that I booked off of Airbnb. It has great reviews and was booked solid... How do I know it's not going to be illegal like you said?