We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

My husband and I are in the process of planning a 2 wk vacation to Maui for our 10th wedding anniversary. We haven't had the opportunity to travel as much as we'd like but have always wanted to go to Hawaii to renew our vows so this is truly a trip of a lifetime. Unfortunately, the clock is ticking (we leave 4/27 0_0) and other than our flight I have not booked anything else!! I'm so nervous about making a wrong choice that it has paralyzed my decision making. With so many travel forums, hotel/resort/condo choices, activities, and vow renewal options I am totally overwhelmed!!! Every time I find myself close to making a decision I'll read a negative review or see something else that causes me to reconsider or do more "research:. I'm driving myself and my poor husband crazy o_0 So I came here (I've lurked for months) in the hopes that I'd find some help and direction.

We've decided since we'll arrive on the island about 6pm to spend our to spend our first night at a hotel by the airport because we'll probably be exhausted. The next day we'll pick up our rental car from OGG, go grocery shopping (we've been told Costco is the best and most inexpensive choice on the island), and,,,,,,,,,,this is where I hit a road block. We'd like to be in an area 10-20 mins from restaurants, local shops, and activities (luau, horseback riding, nice beaches) but provides the romantic staples of privacy and seclusion. Ideally we'd like to stay somewhere extra special for the first 4 days as our anniversary is on 4/30. We'd like to have a vow renewal ceremony on or near the beach (just the 2 of us, an officiant, and photographer) with a private dinner on the beach to follow - possibly a luxury resort. Then for the rest of the trip we'd like to stay in a condo. We've had really positive interactions with 2 owners but the condos couldn't be further apart. One is at The Palms of Wailea and the other is at the Kapalua Villas. I believe selecting the right condo & its location is the key that the entire vacation will be based around. So, if I make the wrong choice everything else could fall apart!!!

Please HELP.......any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for helping me maintain - or regain - my sanity :D

Maui Charms
Gift & Specialty Shops
Kihei Farmer's Market
Flea & Street Markets
Whalers Fine Jewellery
Gift & Specialty Shops
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,012 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

Deep breathes, kiddo! We really can help but first we need some more info from you. Where are you flying in from? What is your nightly budget for that "splurge" resort? Montage budget or Ritz budget, Andaz or Hyatt budget?

I think the Kapalua Villas would be a great choice in May.

Most people, even after 12 hour flights, power through to their resorts and don't waste a night near the airport. It's a small island and easy to navigate in any direction from any home-base.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

First relax..... second plan to drive straight to your resort. Staying near the airport is stupid IMO. You will need a car immediately so pickup at the airport upon arrival. What is your budget for accommodations? We can't help without knowing this. Also you will find negative reviews about everywhere so just pick one of the top resorts. If you could spring for the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea that would be great. Great, beaches, restaurants and weather. The Kapalua villas would be an awesome place for the second part of your stay. The time when you are going isn't going to be too busy, but Maui always has plenty of tourists. Personally I would have done two islands with the two weeks but YMMV.....

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

Thank you so much Mamma & Dada (the irony of your names is totally hilarious btw :D) Ok, now that I've taken those deep breathes.......I figured since the sun sets around 6:30 it would be easier to stay by the airport instead of attempting to maneuver unfamiliar roads in the dark. However, you guys do make an excellent point - going directly to the resort would save time and money.

The budget for our "splurge" hotel is between $300-350/night - definitely not Montage or Ritz worthy. I'd like to have the vow renewal and private dinner on the grounds so if the hotel could offer this I'd consider paying a little more. We'd like to go a little more modest with the condo budget as we plan to prepare some meals and pack in as many activities as we can, so about $175/night.

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

Btw, Dada. Initially I was considering hopping over to the Big Island for a few days but my husband didn't like the idea of having to "lug our stuff all over Hawaii". However, if I managed to change his mind what's the cheapest airline? Thanks again ;)

Edited: 9:06 pm, March 27, 2016
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,012 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

You will find we are rather funny in these parts! It's really not a bad drive from the airport to any of the main areas, you will be fine if you study a couple of maps and use the directions from the rental car company. You are coming at a quieter time so check the deals at the Hyatt, Sheraton and Westin along Kaanapali Beach...they all offer private dinners, but plan on $400 + for that, and vow renewal services.

If you can find a Kapalua Villa for $175 per night take it! Please remember that you need to include the nearly 14% nightly tax as well as the requisite resort fees. That's pretty low even for off season.

If you are on the full TA site check out the "getting married on Maui" under the Top Questions to the upper right. Good info on doing it on your own.

Keep asking and we'll keep trying to help.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

I would 1) drive straight to hotel 2) have the vow renewal on "secret" beach in S. Maui, 3) stay at the Wailea Marriott and do their private poolside dinner, and 4) stay at Kapalua Villas for the remainder.

marriott.com/hotelwebsites/…20Dining.pdf

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
437 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

I sent you a personal message. I am going to be returning to Maui right after you leave. Our trip started out with the idea we would do a vow renewal for our 20th. I did a lot of research and would be happy to help!

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

OMG.... I can actually feel my blood pressure lowering with each word I read!!!!

I am now firmly leaning towards the Kapalua Villa....it is on a golf course and although I'd prefer oceanfront the price can't be beat. Approx how far is Kapalua from Lahaina? There are a few activities there we'd like to do.

Beachiekeen.....where is the "secret" beach (I feel I should be whispering) :) Thanks for the Marriott link - it's exactly what I''d like for our anniversary dinner.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

The Wailea Beach Marriott is right around $300 a night for your dates. Even though there is some construction going on, reports are that the completed pool areas are gorgeous and that construction noise is minimal. Hoping that's true as we are booked there in August.

I agree with others - do not spend your first night at the airport. You will lose at least a half day of your vacation the next morning with a hotel check-out, a shuttle to OGG to get a rental car and then traveling to your hotel - where you likely can't check in until 3:00 pm. So just get all of that done upon arrival and you'll wake up the next morning already on vacation! Also I think you will find plenty to do on just Maui for two weeks. We are planning 3 weeks there in August-September and I have no regrets about not "island hopping"!

And I'm not so sure I'd spend time shopping at Costco when you arrive. For two people, and especially when staying at a hotel the first few days, I think you'd do better just shopping minimally at a grocery store for drinks and snacks and maybe some breakfast items for you hotel room. Maybe slightly more expensive but so much easier.

Edited: 9:40 pm, March 27, 2016
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,012 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Completely Overwhelmed....only 4wks until vacation!!

Yeah Wagges!! Thanks for helping out. Kapalua Villas are about a 15-20 minute drive north of Lahaina, depending on traffic, no biggie to take part in any of the events or boat tours. Many sunset sails and snorkel tours leave from Kaanapali Beach, but list Lahaina as an address. Let us know what you are looking at.