We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripwow and Report, first three days

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,892 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Tripwow and Report, first three days

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0847-4bf0-8672…

What a start we had! Five hours of sitting on a plane, at the gate, at the Vancouver airport. Not one, but two different mechanical issues. And because we were "technically" in the US of A, we could not deplane without going through immigration. But we finally made it to the condo at 3:30 in the morning, Maui time.

We were exhausted, but you get that buzzed feeling, and neither of us slept very well. We didn't even attempt to deal with the sofa bed at that time of the morning, and my daughter risked a snoring mother, and hopped into the queen sized bed with me. We only managed to sleep about four hours though. I don't think that was a bad thing, as we wanted to get on Maui time, and the best way to do that, is to get up and get going!

I was very excited to be back on Maui, with my daughter. It was last October, when we found out that she wouldn't be able to make it home for Christmas, as the company she works for was blocking all people from booking off for Christmas. So we started to look at dates for her to come home in February. I had been fiddling with dates on the computer, and a flight from Ottawa to Vancouver was still over $800.00. But with Maui always being on my mind, I plunked in the same dates, but with the return to Kahului, instead of Vancouver. Any Canadians reading this will "get it".... the flight from Ottawa to Kahului return was just $648.00. Same exact dates too. And get this. She had to get on the exact same flight to Vancouver first, then continue on to Maui in the evening. It wasn't hard to figure it out... called her in Ottawa, and said she wasn't coming home for Christmas, but that I was taking her to Maui instead! Merry Christmas! Oh, and Happy Birthday too! If anyone wanted to see her her, they would have to head to the Vancouver airport!

The flight from Ottawa landed shortly after ten in the morning, and the flight to Maui left at 5:45 that evening. Or at least, it was supposed to!

I had taken the ferry to Vancouver the day before, and stayed with Auntie Joan in Vancouver. It was nice to see her again, and to get a ride out to the airport. I made sure that I was there in plenty of time, so that I could find my daughter in the US terminal, in the secure area. Checking in was easy, as I did just carry on again. But I had to wait quite a while for my daughter to show up. Waiting to identify her checked suitcase on the screen for US immigration took much longer than I expected. But she finally came through those magical doors, and I was so happy to see her! Last time we saw each other was in June!

Thanks to mtinbc, I was able to get two of the Maple Leaf Lounge tickets for us. What a great place to hang out for six hours! They even have a shower in there, although we didn't make use of that. But so much food to choose from, including soup, sandwiches, and salad. And the bar! Open bar, wine, beer, and hard liquor. No mai tais though, darn!

After the fiasco with the mechanical issues, we were so glad to finally take off for Maui. And so glad that when we got to the condo, there was indeed a human being on the line, once we found the black phone by the office. I had never dealt with this procedure before, where you get the code for the key to the condo, only once you are there. Not a procedure I like, but it worked. I think the man at the other end of the line was just as surprised to hear my voice, given the time it was.

With just four hours of sleep, we didn't even attempt the Waihee Ridge Trail that morning. But we were hungry! Oh, so very hungry! Kihei Caffe solved that problem. Both of us ordered the banana pancakes. The line was very long when we arrived, but I knew that it moved quite fast.

Then off to Costco. Busiest I've ever seen it, but still, only three carts in front of us. Almost as busy as the one at home in Nanaimo!

We returned to the condo, and put stuff away. Didn't venture very far at all, given that we were getting tired again, very fast. We hung out by the pool, and then ventured out to watch the sunset. Barefootn had called me (I had a working cell phone this trip!!!!!) and she came over to the complex and found us down by the beach to watch the sunset. It was so wonderful to get that bear hug again! And what a delight, to sit there, watching our first sunset, and watching the whales at the same time. Such a wonderful treat!

Both my daughter and I were fading fast after the sunset, so we headed up to the condo for an early night. Figured out the sofa bed, but wow, this one was bad. Putting the mattress on the floor was not going to fix all the issues with the steel running through the mattress. We just folded it all up, and my daughter and I just shared the bed the rest of our time there.

We slept for 10 hours straight!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Waihee Ridge Trail
Waihee Ridge Trail
242 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei Caffe
Kihei Caffe
2,985 Reviews
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,892 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripwow and Report, first three days

Saturday morning was swap meet day! I had been to Maui four times, without every visiting this place. But on the 5th trip, Deb introduced me to this amazing place. And I have been every trip since, sometimes twice during the same trip!

When we got there, I headed straight to the produce at the back of the market. Grabbed my papayas and some bananas right away. Then off to my regular vendors. Got my soap, a small pottery piece from Albert, some rubs from Jeff's Jams and Jellies, and some more art work. I picked up some coconut candy for daughter in law as well. And an 808 t-shirt! That was a first for me. I wanted to buy so much more, but it was the beginning of our 11 night stay, and that darn Canadian dollar was annoying the heck out of my shopping plans!

We headed back to the condo for some breakfast, and then off to the beach. It was a late start for a beach, given that it was Saturday. I was heading for Keawakapu Beach, a favourite of mine, but when driving down Kihei Road, there was a parking spot on the road, so I grabbed it! It turned out that we were going to spend some time at Kam II Beach! It was just before noon, and still pretty busy there.

Before we left, I did run across the street to Aloha Gifts to pick up my Ben Diller piece of pottery. Deb and UNCMOM had each picked up a piece from this shop last September, a piece that you actually hang on the wall, so I was glad to get something different by this talented pottery artist. I have quite a few of his plates and pots already.

We spent the rest of the day just enjoying the pool, reading our books, and playing a board game. I had packed the game with me, as it was a Christmas gift from my daughter. It was fun to play it with her for the first time. And of course, we had to go down to watch the sunset again!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Keawakapu Beach
Keawakapu Beach
457 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,892 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripwow and Report, first three days

Sunday was our first whale watch. I booked with Blue Water Rafting a couple of months ago, for their 8:00 departure, for 90 minutes of whale watching. This particular day, it turned out to be more whale waiting than whale watching. But like any wildlife, you get what you get. They have their own schedule. But it was so nice to be out on the water, and looking back at Haleakala.

We did get a down pour though, and that was quite fun as well. Just poured and poured, and you could actually see it coming, and you knew when it would end as well, just by looking up at the sky.

After the whale watch, we headed back to the condo for a relaxing afternoon, until about 3:00. That was when we walked down to Sansei to meet up with Barefootn and her husband, as well as friends from Hana. Gotta love their Sunday special, with most items on the menu half price, but only from 5 until 6. You have to line up early, if you want to take advantage of this offer. And what fun it is to chat with the other people in line. We actually met a couple from SF (if I remember correctly!), that drove down from Kahana, to take advantage of Sansei's half price menu.

I let my daughter order for the both of us. She ordered four different items, and it was plenty for the two of us. We had a great time, the six of us, and it was so fun to be there again with Barefootn. And so much fun to chat with the friends from Hana. I could have talked with them for another two hours! But we headed back to the condo about 6:00, knowing that we would be walking the last part in the dark.

Another great day on Maui!

Mentioned in this post
Blue Water Rafting
Blue Water Rafting
1,731 Reviews
Maui, HI
Sansei Seafood Restaurant
Sansei Seafood Restaurant
1,301 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kahana Beach Resort
Kahana Beach Resort
365 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripwow and Report, first three days

I just like reading and pretending I am there. Continue on.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripwow and Report, first three days

So much fun to be there with your daughter! Sounds like a great time.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
279 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripwow and Report, first three days

Wonderful trip report and great pictures with your beautiful daughter! Thanks for taking the time to do a trip report and trip wow and to share it with us! Feel your pain with the currency. Our darn Euro does not make me happy either and unfortunately I am pretty sure things will not change to the better till our trip in October.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
3,343 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripwow and Report, first three days

Wonderful trip report....I know what you mean...our Canadian $ is so low now...

Looking forward to more

🌺🌴

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripwow and Report, first three days

Loving all the details!

Thank You for taking the time to do this for us!

Looking forward to more!

--Lori

Edited: 8:00 am, March 03, 2016
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripwow and Report, first three days

Guess I'll have to wait to find out if you ever made it to Keawakapu Beach. Thanks for taking the time to put the Tripwow together. Love the pictures and all the details in your report.

Mentioned in this post
Keawakapu Beach
Keawakapu Beach
457 Reviews
Maui, HI
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tripwow and Report, first three days

I have been looking forward to your trip reports and trip wows and was surprised to see this one so soon. I know that seeing your daughter was what you were looking forward to more than Maui and how heartwarming that first sight of her must have been. It is hard to live far apart from grown kiddos. And to get that bear hug from barefoot and watching that first sunset together was the best start to your vacation! I know the swap meet isn't for everyone, but it is wonderful for getting a wide variety of Maui goods, with only one stop. Anxious for your next report! Deb

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,511 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tripwow and Report, first three days

Ohhh J0an, thanks so much for a great report and the TripWow!! Can't wait for more!!