We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

Altoona...
Level Contributor
54 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

We are four folks in our early fifties, who are comfortable on Bikes, looking for recent advice on which company to select for this Bike ride off the Crater.

We like the idea of a Self-guided tour. .

We want to go at our own pace, stop for breakfast on the way down... & anywhere else we choose.

We can drive to the Bike shop

Which company has the best bikes, safety reputation, customer service etc...

I see four companies...

- Haleakala Bike Co.

- Cruiser Phil's

- Maui Sunriders

- Aloha Bicycle Tours.

Our trip to Maui is in mid-April.

I would appreciate any and all "been-there" done that advice.

Jim

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

Please read this thread.

tripadvisor.com/…68821784

Most of us will not recommend this activity with the multiple accidents, injuries etc weekly because of this activity. The Haleakala park won't allow it to start in the park anymore because of the safety of it.

Doylestown...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

We have never done it, never will. The ride is scary, breaking all the way down a winding narrow road with a lot of traffic. I can't imagine you would see that much other than trying not to get hit by a car or run off the road.

They have stopped the rides from starting inside the park because of the accidents .

There have been a number and many serious.

But then again people do it and love it., so each his own. Just too risky for us

Kahului, Hawaii
Level Contributor
299 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

I've heard so many people say, "No one told me the bike trip was dangerous." Now, we are telling you so you know

Edited: 6:32 pm, February 24, 2016
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,542 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

Please don't do this. There are so many other lovely things to see and do on Maui -- mostly free. Why pay to waste a whole morning doing this risky 'adventure'?

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,087 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

Been there and done that.. 22 years ago when we were in a bike club and rode every weekend. We chose to go with a company thankfully and not on our own.We have never repeated this activity in the 40 plus trips to Maui. This is a dangerous ride! The roads are very narrow, no shoulder. Many, many cars, looking at the view and not looking for cyclist.

We did live to tell about it but a woman from our small hometown didn't live to tell about. Please reconsider.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

From the various posts and threads I can see that this tour is not recommended. That being said, on one of my previous visits, about 6 years ago, my husband (mid 50s at the time), my son (13 years old) and I (mid 40's) took the sunrise self-guided tour with Haleakala Bike Company. We absolutely loved it. We really enjoyed going it alone (rather than tagging along as part of group) as we were able to take our time, gingerly making our way down at a leisurely pace. It was breath taking. We passed by lavender fields and cow-filled pastures and stopped along the way at the Kula Lodge for breakfast. It was magical and one of my fondest memories from my time there. However, I am certainly not a TA expert when it comes to Maui so I would definitely take into consideration the tips and advice from the locals and others who know better.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,436 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

I don't have the 'been there, done that' experience with riding down Haleakala, but I did meet a young man on Maui who had both arms in casts as a result of his ride down Haleakala. We've also seen the riders coming down when we've driven up - many of them looking like they shouldn't be on the ride.

If you want a great adventure on Haleakala - suggest hiking part way into the crater. The bike ride down is on the slopes of Haleakala, whereas the crater is the highlight . With the bike ride, you'll likely only get a glimpse of the crater before the tour company drives you back down to start your ride outside of the park, and well below the summit.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

Before I ever knew about TA forums, I was researching tours and fun things to do for our second trip to Maui. The bike ride down kept coming up and it looked like fun. Then I began reading up on it and it stopped looking like fun fairly quickly. I imagined what could happen and ditched the idea. Our young adult son was bummed, but agreed not to do it. Flash forward to our trip and driving down Haleakala, behind and next to all the bicyclists! Our son thanked me for dropping it from the list cause nothing about it looked like fun to him, when he saw them biking down the mountain. Lots of dust, braking and it just seemed tedious to him. Too bad I didn't drop the sunset dinner cruise too. 😳 Deb

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

Hubby and I did this ride long before there were travel forums. While I had a pretty good time - mixture of pure fear at the top and pleasure passing through all the climate zones - my husband did not. He wears contact lenses and it took a few minutes of riding, even with a motorcycle helmet on, before he was unable to see as it is windy, freezing and dry at the beginning. I had never experienced going down such a steep incline so wasn't used to the feeling of bike brakes struggling to slow the bike and the wheels "juttering" from forward momentum and braking. SCARY, more so than an uncontrolled downhill skiing episode. Fall on the asphalt or lava and your trip is over and it can be a life-changing event. Other than that, it was pretty good like I said. These are not pleasure rides unless you are used to pure-adrenaline activities. Just use your best judgement.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,225 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haleakala Sunrise Bike Ride...which company to use ?

Please don't do the bike thing. You're already paying for a rental car, which is not only safer, but more sensible for exploring.

The NPS banned the bikes in the park about 10 years ago, due to the fatal accidents and constant serious injuries. Now, the injuries are outside the park, but frequent and often life altering.