We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Year Wedding Anniversary

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
10 Year Wedding Anniversary

Hello my husband I want to spend our 10 year wedding anniversary I Hawaii. First we were recommended to go to Oahu, but after getting advice in that forum, it was suggested that Maui might be more suited to us, as we will not be renting a car and just want to relax at the resort. We will be traveling from New York City on March 29 returning April 5. This is what we are looking for in a resort, if someone could recommend one for us:

1. Hotel/Resort on the beach around $500 per night

2. Ocean View

3. Quiet (including the beach, even if it means out from the city

4. Entertainment in the hotel, Hawaiian shows, restaurants etc.

5. Hotel decor in a Hawaiian theme

6. Romantic

Thank you all!

Gerry

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,761 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary

With no car, I recommend the Ka'anapali area. And I recommend the Sheraton Maui, as it doesn't cater to kids as much as some of the other resorts in the area. The Sheraton Maui is at/on top of Black Rock. It forms a bit of a natural barrier, so you don't get alot of cross traffic - so the beach is lovely at night. You'll do well there with your budget - and they have a shuttle that runs to Lahaina Town with other stops along the way.

You'll also have tour options and catamaran sails and such - so you can get out and see the beautiful Island!

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali resort area. If it comes up small, click on it. There is a paved beach path that goes from the Sheraton down to the Hyatt along the beach. About mid-point is Whaler's Village for shops and restaurants. kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

http://www.sheraton-maui.com

There are no "city-resorts" on Maui. There are two main resort areas - Ka'anapali (west) and Wailea (south). If you want more isolation - try Kapalua, the Ritz Carlton there.

Keep in mind that Hawaii is not like the Caribbean or Mexico. This will be a different experience - and you will love it.

Edited: 8:53 pm, February 17, 2016
Mentioned in this post
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort...
4,675 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Spa at Black Rock
The Spa at Black Rock
831 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
3,743 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary

OP's previous thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k927135…

On Maui, I think it may be hard tick off ALL of those boxes given that your trip is very soon and falls right after Easter.

Know that search engines also mistakenly fold in condos into hotel searches for Maui.

And Maui doesn't have a city like Honolulu on Oahu.

Know also that Maui is pretty car centric and lots of people get out and see the island in a DIY way.... There are possibly other non Hawaiian locations that are better for a fly and flop style vacation. I'm not saying you can't do one on Maui... But it might be tough to get everything you want. Especially if by "romantic" you mean "no kids" -- Maui is very very family friendly. And it's the week following Easter.

Also budget $65-110 each way for a taxi from the airport.

The main Maui resort areas are Kaanapali and Wailea, with some additional options in Kapalua.

I think Kaanapali will be too busy and dense and filled with high rises for you. It's a planned resort area, originally intended as an alternative to Waikiki. This is where you'll find the Sheraton, Hyatt, and Westin. Not exactly a quiet area. Gorgeous beach and walkable restaurants and shops and bars. And it's a short taxi ride into Lahaina town. Some hotels also run shuttles into town or you can pay for a shuttle.

Wailea may be a better choice since it's more spread out and less dense but you will likely have to budge on your list of musts. It's also a planned resort area with a focus on shopping and golf. Many hotels have shuttles in and around Wailea. It's really nice but it can be very expensive.

For resorts in Wailea: the Grand Wailea attracts a LOT of kiddos with its pools so is not really romantic for many. Fairmont Kea Lani also attracts families due to its all suite layout -- and I don't find the architecture all that Hawaiian. Andaz Maui is more adult oriented but the architecture is all sleek and modern (not Hawaiian) and the rooms are small. Hotel Wailea is 16+ (one of the few) but isn't beachfront - though probably the best choice for something more adults-only in feeling. The Marriott Wailea isn't beachfront either but close to two beaches; plus, you may find a deal due to some renovations they're doing. Four Seasons probably fits best for you...BUT I highly doubt you will get even a mountain view room for under $500 for Easter week.

Kapalua might work if you can afford the Ritz (it's very expensive) and you don't mind that it's set back from the beach due to a burial ground they found during construction. It's most likely not in your budget.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,884 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf...
7,190 Reviews
Maui, HI
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
5,001 Reviews
Maui, HI
Andaz Maui At Wailea Resort
Andaz Maui At Wailea...
3,148 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
1,222 Reviews
Maui, HI
United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary

You might look into the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. Much more affordable. Literally the "last resort" on South Maui. BUT! I'm not sure how well it's being maintained right now though due to the plan to go condo.

Mentioned in this post
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
809 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary

Thank you Kathryn, I I thinkthink we are going to stay at the Four I think we are going to go with the four seasons do they have Hawaiian shows like luaus seasons, do they have Hawaiian Shows?

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary

Because of a lack of car, choices are pretty limited. I too would suggest either the Marriott at Wailea or the Sheraton at Kaanapali because of their quiet-ish locations and your ability to have most of your needs met at either hotel. Both are adjacent to walkways if you wanted to experience a meal or a beach at another resort. No private beaches on Maui : ) I think the Marriott has a luau that is not a traditional Hawaiian luau - more Polynesian. I would always want a car on Maui but that is because I like to have some freedom in making a run to Safeway for groceries or trying out a different beach down the road for great snorkeling at 8am. I have known people that are just fine with staying put at one place and paying a premium for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and coffee.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,884 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary

I believe both the Marriott in Wailea and the Grand Wailea have luaus. The Four Seasons does not.

If booking the FS, make sure you price it out going through a Preferred Partner like Whatahotel.com.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
7,190 Reviews
Maui, HI
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary

It looks like there is a luau at the Grand Wailea next door to the 4Seasons. "The Grand Luau at Honua'ula". Check reviews on Yelp and TripAdvisor before signing up so you know what you will be paying for.

Mentioned in this post
7,190 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Grand Luau at Honua'ula
The Grand Luau at...
674 Reviews
Maui, HI
New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary

Thank you!

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary

Thank you!

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary

I just priced out the FS for your dates and got $999 a night for the garden view rooms on their site, TripAdvisor, and Whatahotel.