We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which side of plane for best view

Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which side of plane for best view

I know I have read the answer to this before but I absolutely cannot find it!! and I didn't write it down.

For the view, which side of the plane is better from the mainland to Honolulu, and then from Honolulu to Maui.

Thank you!!

Level Contributor
21,970 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which side of plane for best view

Flights usually make final approach into Honolulu from the south, over the water. If you want to see Waikiki and Diamond head, they will be starboard (right). You might have a better view of Pearl Harbor from the port side of the plane.

Flights arriving at Kahului, Maui also usually make the final approach from the south, crossing the center of the island from Maalea to the airport on the north. Either side will provide good views.

I like to book starboard both ways, mostly to stay out of the hot sun on the south side of the plane going out and to keep away from the galley lights at night on the return.

If you are going now, scan the water for whales!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which side of plane for best view

I like the left side...........with that said........under normal prevailing wind conditions (coming from the mainland) you will fly over the airport southbound and make a 180* turn back northbound before you get to Maalaea bay. The descent is pretty fast and usually pretty bumpy due to the winds in the valley.

Mike in Tulsa

3. Re: Which side of plane for best view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 19, 2009