We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont hotels

ontario
5 posts
Save Topic
Fairmont hotels

I've decided to go to Hawaii for my honeymoon but can't decide between The Fairmont Kea Lani and The Fairmont Orchid. I'm looking for a romantic and quiet resort with a great beachfront and swimmingpool. The ambiance is also very important. Advice and comparisons would really, really be appreciated. I am also going on a cruise so I will be seeing all the hawaiin islands. Please help!

Please reply to this post and not the one from bide-to_be.

seattle
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmont hotels

Bumping this up guys bide needs some help.

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmont hotels

Bide to be - I can't help with choice between the two properties, but if you're not a member, go to the Fairmont web site and join the President's Club. It increases likelihood of being upgraded to nicer room. Of course, tell them you're newlywed. Have you checked the reviews of the two hotels here on this web site to start your comparison?

ontario
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmont hotels

Hi wintersummer,

I have read the reviews and they seem to be pretty good for both locations. I think that either location is a good pick but I'd like to know how they compare to eachother. The reviews don't help too much with that.

Thanks for your response.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairmont hotels

From what I know, the Fairmont Orchid is very nice, romantic and quiet. My friend stayed at the Fairmont and the Four Season when she visited the BI and she liked the Fairmont better. I heard the Fairmont Kea Lani geared towards families because all the rooms are suites, which is not the case at the Orchid. I think the beach at the Kea Lani will be better because the BI is not know for their beachfront type resorts like Maui. Either way, I'm sure both are very nice but for different reasons.

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairmont hotels

Bide-To-Be - I think that both of these hotels have been featured on "Great Hotels" on the Travel Channel. I'm not sure when you are going on honeymoon, but keep watching for the shows to come on (check the web site). I took at look at their web site and these episodes are not scheduled through the end of the month. I've seen the episode on the Kea Lani and it looks beautiful. They re-run these shows over and over so keep a watch out - it may turn up on TV before you go.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairmont hotels

I haven't stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani, unfortunately the only luxury resort on Maui that I haven't stayed on, although friends who have indicate that it is excellent. Plus reviews on this forum are very positive about it, so I don't think that you'd go wrong choosing it. My personal favorite in the Wailea area is the Four Seasons. As for the Fairmont Orchid, I have stayed there, both before and after it made the conversion from a Starwood Luxury Collection property (The Orchid at Mauna Lani) to the Fairmont Orchid. It's in a lovely location beachfront on the Kohala Coast. The beach there is tiny, and really is more of a small proctected cove than anything else. The property is gorgeous at night with lighting by tiki torches. There's also an excellent, romantic restaurant, Brown's Beach House there. The rooms are nice, kind of an old-school feel that I find is typical of Fairmont proerties rather than a new, chic-luxury look. The best rooms in the area, I feel, are at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel or Mauna Kea.

Overall, I like Maui better as an island, because I feel that it combines the liveliness factor if you are looking for dining and entertainment with the opportunity to retreat to a relatively quiet atmosphere. The Big Island is a little too quiet for my tastes, not to say that it isn't fantastic. Plus it's hard to beat the beaches and luxury of the Kohala Coast. And the Big Island possesses my favorite restaurant in the world, Merriman's in Waimea (and keep in mind that I've eaten at some of the greatest palaces of haute cuisine in Paris).

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials.

ontario
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairmont hotels

Thanks so much for all the responses. They have all been very helpful and useful. This is my first time using the forum, and after some hesitation, am very glad that I did. Thank you everyone for responding. Picking the right destination for your honeymoon can be very stressful but after reading your posts, I feel much better about my decision! Thanks again to all!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fairmont hotels

Fairmont Kea Lani is the BEST! And Maui is awesome, I highly recommend this one.

NC by way of NJ
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fairmont hotels

I stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani for my honeymoon in August 2004 for 6 nights. The hotel is great! You are definitely pampered. It's a bit pricey but it's well worth it. You might as well splurge a bit - its your honeymoon. We stayed at the newer wing and were upgraded to a suite with a wrap around balcony. The pool is nice as well. The only negative about the Kea Lani is their beach. It is very small. The beach at the Grand Wailea and the Four seasons is much bigger - Wailea beach. When making reservations, make sure you ask for a room by the adult pool and not the kids pool as it gets pretty noisy. Although when we stayed there, there weren't that many kids. Mostly adults. Congratulations and Enjoy!

Bellevue
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Fairmont hotels

We just returned from our first trip to Hawaii (25th wedding anniversary) and stayed at the Fairmont Orchid. Have never been to any other island so can't compare. But I can say that the Orchid is absolutely beautiful, romantic, quiet, inspiring, and a good value! Don't think you would be disappointed at all with this resort. We loved the sunsets every night from Brown's Beach restaurant which is right on the beach. Very relaxing and awesome service.

We had a partial ocean view room on the second floor, north tower facing the garden. At first we were a bit disappointed to only be able to see the ocean from our patio, but the sound of the water falls and view out to the garden was very enjoyable. (we were in room 2240) Although the room is nicely appointed, we found that it was somewhat worn but generally clean. Our color scheme was a "green" and we could see rooms from the outside that were "peach"...which we would have liked better. You might inquire about rooms that have recently been remodeled. The bathroom was really nice with the marble, 2 sinks, many mirrors, shower/tub and separate standup shower, and private toilet room.

Eatting there is not cheap, but don't know a good resort where you will find reasonable prices. We didn't do the breakfast with our hotel room, so would just go to Brown's Deli for a pastry and mocha usually. We also got a cheap ice chest and kept our own water, beer, and wine stocked using the ice from the hotel. Worked well! One night we used a Coke from the mini-bar and cost us nearly $5.

All in all we were VERY pleased with our stay and would go back. The Big Island is very interesting and varied. Kona was a disappointment to us. Loved the north area with rolling hills and lush farm lands. Did a one day trip to Volcano. Did a variety of beaches, but found most the area is still lava.

If you decide to go, get the book "Hawaii, the Big Island Revealed". It was our bible throughout the trip.

We highly recommend going on the double-hull canoe trip which originates at the Fairmont. Captain Casey takes up to 6 people out every day at 8, 11 and 2, for 2-1/2 hours. We went twice ($95/person) and had a blast!! Did that instead of spending mega bucks for a helicopter ride.