We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Feast at LeLe?

calif
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Feast at LeLe?

We hear so much about the "Old Lahaina Luau"

Can some of you tell us about "The Feast at LeLe"

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Feast at LeLe?

All I know is that they have a fire show but Old Lehaina is still the best.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Feast at LeLe?

Different show than the Old Lahaina Luau, although run by the same company. The Feast at Lele is a more romantic setting, with a softer, less party feel. The show is also excellent, although not as good an intro to luaus as Old Lahaina Luau is. The food is the best luau food in Hawaii, surveying foods from different Pacific regions. James McDonald, the talented Pacific Rim chef that also runs I'O and Pacific'O, is in charge of the food. Overall, the second best luau experience on Maui to Old Lahaina Luau.

calif
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Feast at LeLe?

Thank you , Paris,

Anyone else?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Feast at LeLe?

I'm trying to pick between Old Lahaina and Feast at LeLe. I'd like to hear more about why you think Old Lahaina is better. Frankly, the food created by the renowned chef and intimate setting (smaller number of people, private tables) at LeLe sound nice to me. So what is it that makes Old Lahaina the best?

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Feast at LeLe?

Old Lahaina Luau is a more complete luau experience in the truest sense of the phrase. From the setting to the seating set-up, to the buffet-style serving of traditional luau fare (which is also very good, don't get me wrong), including kalua pig, lomi lomi salmon, poi, etc. You can even wander over to see the pig being brought out on its spit. It's a fantastic intro for someone whose never been to a luau before. The Feast at Lele, as I mentioned before, involves more specialized foods and is ideal for a romantic-atmosphere luau. But I'd say that it's better appreciated once you've done a more traditional luau. In either case, you won't go wrong, they're both very good.

calif
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Feast at LeLe?

Thanks again "Paris"

I've read a lot of your post, as always very well said.

Anyone else?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Feast at LeLe?

Thanks very much for the explanation, Paris. We've never been to a luau before, so maybe Old Lahaina might be best. We're also going to the Big Island before Maui. Do you (or anyone else familiar with the BI) think it would be worth it to attend a luau there, too? Or does the Old Lahaina take the cake?

Also, we're only a few weeks away from our trip to Hawaii. Will we still be able to get decent seats at a luau? Should we be requesting certain tables to get the best view/have the best experience?

Thanks for the info!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Feast at LeLe?

Travelhappy, you know, I was thinking about it and realized that I haven't ever been to a luau on the Big Island, which is odd to me. I guess I just never got around to doing one on my several trips there. Perhaps if you ask for advice regarding good luaus on the Big Island forum, someone might be able to give you advice on a good one (a poster named Mauna Kea Lady on that forum lives there and knows a lot about the island). But what I can tell you is that I've gone to four luaus on Maui, three on Oahu, and one on Kauai and the Old Lahaina was the best for overall experience, in my humble opinion. I don't think that you necessarily need to go to multiple luaus, unless you are fascinated with Hawaiian dance. What you might alternatively consider is going to both the Old Lahaina Luau and the Feast at Lele on Maui on separate nights. I've done that before on a trip, and we had a great time at both, as they are significantly different experiences.

If you have some flexibility with which night you want to go to the luau, you still will be able to get seats. The only difficulty may be if you are going during Spring Break time. But after that the crowds will subside as Maui enters its shoulder season of tourism. I'd check on oldlahainaluau.com for online reservations or call their phone reservations line to make the booking ASAP, though. As for seating, it really just depends on what you would prefer. Some people prefer the slightly more unfortable traditional seating in order to be up front and get what they feel is a more traditional experience. Some people like the table seating, which is more comfortable and a little farther away. The earlier you book obviously, the better the seating you'll get. Have fun!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Feast at LeLe?

Thanks again for the info, Paris! One more question: What exactly is traditional seating? Are you sitting on sand? Grass? Do you hold your plate of food on your lap then? Just trying to picture how this works so we can decide whether we want traditional or table. Seems like on this site, most people vote table for the comfort factor.

calif
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Feast at LeLe?

The traditional seating is the closest to the show, as I remember it is very short grass?? You get a mat to sit on, not padded. The table is a short/not that tall, so it is not a lap dinner. The tables & chairs are right behind the people on the "Ground" you can see over them. The people that reserve first are then the closest to the show. Each table, seats 10 people....... table & chairs or traditional seating.