We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Sea Fishing

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
37 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Deep Sea Fishing

Hello! A small group of us are headed to Maui in August. We would like to go deep sea fishing but we're recently told that we can't send our fish home. Is it true that we have to eat our fish or give it to the boat and that we can't dry ice it home? We wanted to do a private charter, but now we're thinking it would be a waste of our money. Also, what if one of catches a marlin? Are we able to taxidermy it? We're all doing a "must see/do" list and my husband's dream is to catch a marlin in beautiful Hawaii. Any ides or advice is,appreciated. Thank you in adv advance.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
439 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

The fish you catch on a charter are split. So the actual fish you catch, you will only bring your share of that home.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
37 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

That's fine. The charter company told us the fish can't leave the island. Is this true?

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
37 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

If we catch a few big fish, too much to eat in a few days, we would like to ship some fish home. Is this possible or is it really not allowed to leave the island?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,970 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

If memory serves me correctly, you don't actually own the fish you catch. It belongs to the Captain of the boat. But he will usually "give" you some fish to take back to the condo.

I must try and find a report about a day of fishing, posted by a friend... give me a few minutes.

tripadvisor.ca/…64796050

Found it!

Edited: 3:04 pm, June 30, 2015
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,970 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

For whatever reason, when you click on the link, it takes you to post #24. Just scroll up to the original post, and click on the link for her blog. Then you can see the photos as well. And yes, the fish belongs to the captain. ALL of it, whatever anyone catches. But the captain did let everyone take some fish "home".

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
37 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

If we catch a few big fish, too much to eat in a few days, we would like to ship some fish home. Is this possible or is it really not allowed to leave the island?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

This may or may not be of some help.

https:/…seafood

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
37 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Thank you JOAN 123 & fishdiva. I read both links and look I to the shipping co.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kailua-Kona
Level Contributor
553 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

My husband is a charter boat captain in Kailua Kona and the fish does belong to the captain but most will share it if you let them know ahead of time. There is no rule about taking fish home on the plane, you can do whatever you want with it. Yes, you can mount any fish that you catch but they don't actually mount your fish, they just take measurements and fax them to Gray's Taxidermy in Florida. Gray's will make a replica and ship it to you.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
37 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Thank you sybil, this is very helpful!