We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After sun lotion or cream?

Level Contributor
404 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
After sun lotion or cream?

I am looking for an after sun lotion or cream for my 8 year old. I use the water babies 45/50 SPF sunscreen and he still gets a very dark tan however every time we have gone to Hawaii he gets these little red bumps about five days into our trip (heat rash??). Since he has sensitive skin (he still uses baby wash versus soap) I have used Aveno lotion, Eucerine lotion, Baby lotion but all of them sting his skin when I put them on. Does anyone have any lotion or cream suggestions? We leave on Friday :-)

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After sun lotion or cream?

pure aloe vera gel works well on sensitive skin.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: After sun lotion or cream?

Aquaphor Healing Ointment

Maui Babe too- though Maui Babe it is to keep a tan, it is quite a good moisturizer and will help him from getting the red bumps. In the past I got them so bad on my shoulders I did not want to go sleevless. Not anymore.

Good Luck

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After sun lotion or cream?

Much of the "heat rash" that people notice is caused by the deeper penitrating UVA light as opposed the the burning UVB light. You will need to use a lotion that has extra protection for UVA light. The best ingredient for that is Parsol 1789, but also the physically blocking creams with Zinc Oxide (the thick white paste) work well. There is also a newly approved UVA sunblock, but I cannot remember its name. Many lotions say they block UVA light, but only minimally. You will need to use one with one of these ingredients. The best protection are hats and clothing whenever possible, and of course limit the time out side between 10 AM and 2 PM. Good Luck.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After sun lotion or cream?

I get the little red bumps too but I just use pure aloe vera aftersun gel. I get really itchy bumps and they are mainly on the backs of my hands, my elbows front and back and the backs of my knees.

Level Contributor
404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After sun lotion or cream?

Thanks everyone! I will check into a new sunscreen and a high content aloe vera lotion.

Aloha,

Bella

6. Re: After sun lotion or cream?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, August 12, 2009