We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hiking Trails

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
202 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hiking Trails

We are traveling to Maui in June and I am in the process of preparing a draft itinerary. We really enjoy hiking and I am trying to determine what some of the must do hikes in Maui are as we will only be there for 8 days so I know we cannot fit everything in. We are in good shape and are used to doing a lot of hiking on vacation. We like to hike early in the morning and then spend the rest of the afternoon snorkeling and/or beach hopping. We are looking for hikes with great views/scenery. So far on my list of possible hikes I have the following:

1. Pipiwai (plan to do this in conjunction with RTH)

2. Sliding sands (plan to do this in conjunction with Haleakala sunrise, though we will spread these two events out because of the driving time)

3. Kapalua coastal

4. Waihee Ridge

5. Lahaina Pali

6. La perouse

For those who have already hiked some or all of these trails, which are the must dos? Are there any that are not worth the time? Are there other must dos that I have missed? I have done several searches for hiking on here, but haven't seen a lot of threads focusing on trails other than pipiwai and kapalua. I did order the hiking book recommended on here (haven't received it yet), but I always like to hear opinions from those who have recently hiked the trails. Thanks in advance!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hiking Trails

The Kapalua Coastal trail isn't really a hike. However I do recommend it because the area is gorgeous. I'd do it in conjunction with snorkeling Kapalua and swimming at Oneloa or DT Fleming. Can jump in at all the spots along the way!

I think you would enjoy them all... And if you don't get to one you can do it when you return :).

Maui
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hiking Trails

I have only done two of these. The Pipiwai, I would rate as #1 for me and the Sliding Sands (down to the first lookout) #2. My friends were here 3 weeks ago. They did the Waihee Ridge. It was cloudy, and they said you could not see very much. It was somewhat of a let down. The book I have is Maui Trails by Kathy Morey.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
202 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hiking Trails

Thanks for these responses. I am wondering if we should choose between Waihee and Lahaina Pali instead of doing both. I know they are in different areas, but the views seem similar from the pictures I have seen. I am also wondering if we should try to do La Perouse instead of both Waihee and Lahaina since it is further south and with completely different views/scenery. I welcome any further thoughts or opinions!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hiking Trails

Each has it's own highlights.. we have only done 1,2(only a portion),3(is a walk not hike),4 & and the King's trail in the Hana area. LaPerouse Bay has a portion of the King's trail also.

I can't choose my fav.. each is so very very different.

However.. if I could only hike two I'd do the Pipiwai and Waihee Trails. They provide a wide variety of scenery. Do try to at least get to the summit of Haleakala, if you don't get to hoe it you can view down into the crater .

www.hawaii-guide.com/maui/hiking_trails

www.everytrail.com/best/hiking-maui-hawaii

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hiking Trails

Hopefully Susan will post on this and tell you about the hike down Sliding Sands and across the crater floor. I'd love to do that 11 miles but the trail leading up & out has some switchbacks that I would not be a happy camper on.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
202 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hiking Trails

Thanks barefoot -- these links will be really helpful. Susan did give me some good info re: sliding sands trail in response to another question I asked recently about Haleakala sunrise.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hiking Trails

Views from the Pali trail and Waihe'e are totally different. The Pali trail goes up the lee side of the West Maui Mountains, and your views will primarily be out to the ocean and towards the west, encompassing Haleakala, south Maui, etc. It is a HOT and tough hike. I find it best to do early in the day, and one way to handle it is to start from the Lahaina side, hike to the 'top', and then turn around and go back down. If you decide to do the whole hike, you have to find a way back to your car.

Waihe'e is, as mentioned, sometimes cloudy and wet. It's more easy than the Pali trail, and offers views out over Waiehu and the coastal area there. The views down into the Waihe'e Valley can be obscured, or not--it's sometimes hard to predict. If it's clear, the views down are beautiful.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
772 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hiking Trails

In addition to those you have on your list, take a look at hiking Iao Valley Park. When its dry, you can reach the top of the ridge (beyond the wall of tears) for some spectacular views. If it has rained recently, you may be treated to several waterfalls, however, the trail itself becomes much more treacherous and a good pair of hiking shoes is recommended (sounds like you will come properly equipped).

alltrails.com/trail/…iao-valley-needle-hike

The Kapalua area offers many more hikes than just the coastal trail. Check out this link to see what else interests you. On the Village Walking Trails, the Lake Loop follows the old golf course and is a real heart pumper.

kapalua.com/public/…Kapalua_trail_booklet.pdf

9. Re: Best Hiking Trails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 13, 2015
Iowa
Level Contributor
14,059 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hiking Trails

Laurel, it looks like you have some good ideas for hikes and I don't have anything to add to that. But... I will say that if snorkeling is important to you, you may want to alternate your mornings between hiking and snorkeling. Many of the best snorkel spots are too rough and stirred up by afternoon, especially in South Maui, especially in summer. Morning is almost always best for snorkeling on Maui, though you may have some good afternoons in more protected areas.

It sounds like you'll have a terrific trip!

Aloha

Teri