We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

Dallas, Texas
9 posts
Save Topic
Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

The girlfriend and I are heading to Hawaii over Christmas. Curious if anyone can provide feedback on our itinerary. We are staying at the Ritz (for Christmas we got a rate of 450 a night) and a convertible PT Cruiser.

24 Dec

Dinner Kai Sushi at the Ritz or Sansei? Any thoughts and where is a catholic church near lahaina/kapalua?

25 Dec

Goof off day. Sunrise at Haleakala National Park. If I can get up in time. Can you drive to the top?

Dinner at Spago

26 Dec

Dive from 0800-1400 with Trilogy.

Dinner at Gerards

27 Dec

Lahaina Stables at mauihorse.com.

Dinner at Roy's Kahana or IO?

28 Dec

Plantation House for Breakfast

OK where is the nice jewlery stores?

Zip Tour with Skyline ECO Adventures

Mamas for Lunch or Paia Area?

Dinner at Vino Italian Tapas or whatever

29 Dec

Goof off day and Shop

Saigon Café for lunch

Dinner at Hotel at 8pm Banyan Tree at Ritz Carlton

Again any input is appreciated as i just want to make sure I am on track for a nice vacation.

Redline Rafting Co.
Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Blue Water Maui
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Trilogy Excursions
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

You will really be on the move with this itinerary. What sort of atmosphere are you looking for? The Plantation House at Kapalua gets good reviews as does the Sea House at Napili Bay nearby for atmosphere. We really enjoyed Leilanis upstairs at Kaanapali in Whalers Village. Kimos in Lahaina and strolling through town is nice. If you do breakfast at the Plantation House, you will need to RUN to get to Mam's Fish House for lunch. I couldn't eat 2 meals like that so close together... Welcome home!

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
319 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

in answer to a couple of your questions:

1. yes, you can drive to the top of the Haleakala park

2. There is a really nice catholic church we attended right in the town centre of Lahaina - but it is small and on Christmas Eve I expect it would be packed - best to get there early. I would ask the hotel when you arrive about catholic churches closer to the Ritz .

Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

Several jewelry stores at Whalers Village in Kaanapali. Park in the pay lot and get free parking if you validate by spending $10 in any Whalers' shop. Bless you for you service. You all deserve a great vacation!! Also, you both should do the Kaanapali beach stroll either at sunset or after, very romantic but can be pretty hot during the afternoon.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,860 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

It will take about 3 hours from Kapalua to Haleakala summit.

For sunrise time:

find Honolulu & click on: calendar

Lots of Maui info:

www.visitmaui.com free brochure

www.gohawaii.com freebrochure

www.alternative-hawaii.com good driving tours & restaurant guide

Buy a copy of 'Maui Revealed'

Thank you for your service to the country.

Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

No advice, just wanted to thank you for your service in Iraq!

I hope you enjoy yourself in Maui!!

Dallas, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

Thankyou all. I think you are right I am going to slow this one down a bit with the running all over the Island. Is the idea of doing a dive, zipline, and Horseback too much or about right? Also what about just hitting Halekala Park in the afternoon vice sunrise.

Again thanks for taking the time to post.

Level Contributor
5,100 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

Saigon Cafe was so great! We loved that place!

If you are in the area you must try the Kobe Beef at "Da Kitchen"! the one near the airport OGG! It is fantastic food!

Thanks for your service to our country! Have a wonderful trip!

Do plan to relax also!

Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

If you like magic (slight of hand) shows, try go Warren and Annabelles in Lahaina. Many nights Warren will comp you the price of the show if you are military. When he asks if there is any military personnel in the audience DO NOT be shy. Go for it!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,244 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

Welcome home. On the zipline day, I agree you may not want to rush to Mama's. You might want to stop in Makawao and grab lunch at the Courtyard Cafe or Polli's and buy your girl a Sherri Reeve tee shirt. With any luck, she will be there and autograph it for you. A great gift. I get one for Mrs. S. every year we go and since she dates them, every time Mrs. S. wears it, it's like a trip down memory lane. I would maybe go to Mama's on the 27th. Make reservations now. I would also reccomend Sensei for sushi.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from Iraq and going to Maui. Is this trip ok?

Thanks for your service.

With regard to your trip:

I would pass on Spago. Instead, try Ferraro's. Both places are at Four Seasons. Ferraro's has far better food and service, and is directly above the beach (about 20 yards).

Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question