We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

My husband and I would like to go snorkeling on our trip and are interested in going someplace on our own, without paying a tour group to lead us. We would love to go on a hike that ends with the snorkeling.

From posts that I've read on this forum, there are some great places to go but in order to get to them you would be hiking over private property or possibly over sacred land. I am not interested in doing that, and I understand that there are other places that are just as beautiful and full of great fish and turtles etc, that are accessible on public land. Can anyone tell me what the best ones are? Would love to hear from any of the locals as well.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

We did not really do any snorkeling that involved a hike to get there, but we did find some great snorkeling.

We really enjoyed snorkeling at Black Rock on Kaanapali Beach. We saw a large variety of fish, and we swam with a sea turtle for quite a while. We also saw a neat octopus. It was nice there early morning before it got crowded. We swam around the bend to the other side, and we saw a lot of fish out that way.

We also really enjoyed Kapalua Bay too. I think it was my favorite. This place was not crowded at all! There was a lot of coral there, and a great variety of fish. We started out with breakfast at the Gazebo restaurant and then went there.

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

Good for you! In addition to the places already mentioned, I like Ulua beach in Wailea (there is a nice reef on the right) and Honolua Bay (IF the water is calm and clear). Take the advice to go early in the AM, that's when the best visibility will be.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

i'd recommend getting a copy of "snorkel maui & lanai".

it tells you exactly what to expect from the public-access spots...how to get there, what the best access into the water is, the level of swimming skill needed....

we found it VERY helpful & we snorkeled at least one, sometimes two or 3 spots every day of our week long stay.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

Good info above.

SunnyDey is right on about those two sites. Kapalua is awesome for the different types of fish. And there is only once that we snorkeled Black Rock that we didn't see turtles. Late afternoon, early evening seems to be the best for turtles.

DOGMOM, recommends a great book. Great discriptions and directions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

Hi. Great post and great comments. Please advise about the book....is it avalable at the outfitter shops where you rent gear or can it be found at usual book store selling stops and can I buy your copy from you?

Thanks!

Hilton Head Island...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

If you want to do some serious snokeling and some hiking, go to La Perouse Bay. Its south of Wailea, (South Maui) at the lava fields. The place to go there is called the aquaruim. You have to hike over the lava fields for about a quarter of a mile, which can be tricky, but man is it worth it. La Perouse Bay is not hard to find, just take the road to the lava fields, go to the end of the road, park and walk back up the road you just came down about 200 yrds. On your right you will see where a fence ends and then a trail, thats the trail you want to take. (THIS IS PUBLIC LAND) Don't park and walk right down to the water like EVERYONE else, that is not the spot. If you get the book "Maui Revealed" it has a very good map for this adventure. It took my girlfriend and I about three hours for the whole deal.

P.S. Don't go to Black Rock to go snokeling, its like Disney World there, its ridiculous. All you will do is run into (and this is no joke) the other seventy peolpe there. There were maybe 8 people at La Perouse. Also excellent sea turtle action there.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

I have seen the book at local book stores and on Amazon.com. I think most dive shops might carry it too. Amazon's link is too long to put here. just put in "Snorkel Maui and Lanai" in the search box.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

Thanks for those tips, skullcreek!

Thanks dreamin...will get busy over at Amazon today!

Getting excited!

BTW, does the occasional earthquake hurt or help the snorkeling?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

On your way to LaPerouse Bay, you will pass by Ahihi (sp?) Bay. It's a very small cove with limited parking, but if you can check it out. You can't miss it b/c the road dips down and you are almost at water level! We saw WAY more variety of marine life than we did on our trip to Molokini. The bay is protected from the midday trades by a basalt reef so the clarity of the water stayed real good all day.

Den

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for snorkeling w/out trespassing?

We spent 2 weeks on Maui in late Aug and snorkeling was our favorite past time. We loved Ulua Beach and Makena Beach (in front of the Maui Prince). We heard that it is actually Turtle Town where the boats bring people. We saw many turtles at Makena. We also really enjoyed Ahhi Cove, right on the side of the raod on the way to La Perouse Bay. You can not miss it. But the best find was after snorkeling there one morning we drove a little further to see the lava fields and right there was a parking lot, with an outhouse and a burnt out car. There was a conservation officer giving information about a trail, right from the parking lot, down to a beautiful bay. The fish were abundant and the coral was beautiful. And turtles.!! The snorkelers go to the left and the surfers to the right. This was just before the hike into the Fishbowl and the conservation officers are trying to get the public to snorkle at this sight vs. hiking in to the Fish Bowl. We returned a couple of times. We used the Maui Revealed Book and found many great sights, with great parking tips.