We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

Arizona
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
"Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

So, didja ever notice a kind of funny sort of tension in trip advisor reviews for Maui. There's a real "resort" backlash. Lots of hotels end with the paragraph that starts, "If you're into the whole resort thing with waterslides, maybe you should stay at [fill in the blank], but if you're looking for the real Maui experience, etc."

So why do the "resort" people get such grief? You never see the resort people reviewing the Hyatt or the Grand Wialea or something by saying, "If you're into that whole "nature" or "quiet" thing, then maybe," etc.

For the record, I'm not particularly a "resort" person. I usually rent timeshares from owners, and once you do that it's hard to go back to hotel rooms. Just kind of an observation about the Maui reviews.

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

Eh, I haven't noticed much genuine scorn or criticism here. Just some differences in people's preferences. Nothing wrong with saying, "if you like the resort scene you'll probably like X but I don't personally care for it".

I KU MAU MAU
Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

I never noticed any of that. Maybe it's the way you're reading it cause hard for tell since the it's just a bunch of words without a voice. Oh well. Aloha

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

Guilty. I do tend to catagorize people into one or the other even though I don't mean to. I don't think I am ever rude about it though. I have friends who go to resorts and then never leave the resort or spend so much money eating there that they never want to return to Hawaii again because they think it's too expensive. They also never go into the ocean and just stay by the pool which is a shame. These are usually people who spend a lot of time in Mexico. So I try to point out the benefits of a condo especially people with children.

I have seen people who review a condo complex and then complain because there were no ammenities like room service. This is when I tend to put someone into the "resort" catagory.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

I see it too but I have also read Grand Wailea reviews and a lot of folks saying that it's crowded with children and teens around the pools and you have to reserve chairs at the pool at 6am. Some of the very expensive resorts also seem to nickel and dime their patrons, according to reviews. Maybe the low budget, no service needed set (like me) feel pretty smug about paying only $$ and having a quiet and intimate stay at a lesser known condo. I think budget minded people are truly shocked when they find themselves in a wonderful ocean front room and have done so for a third of the cost of a smaller room in one of the big name resorts. However, if we had a large budget, I would love to try the Four Seasons for a few nights but I would always want to come back to the familiarity of a condo.

Rochester,NY
Level Contributor
357 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

I agree, Julauf. I much prefer a more laid back and private accomodation that a condo offers, don't mind doing some cooking and laundry, and feel that most condos provide a much better value overall. However, many people like the more personalized attention that a resort can offer when they're on a hard earned and well-deserved vacation, and I can appreciate that, too. If money was no object, I certainly wouldn't turn down an oceanfront suite at the Four Seasons, either! The important thing is that people come home feeling as though they've had a wonderful vacation. :)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

If money were no object, I still wouldn't stay at a large resort. They just don't fit my country boy, bare foot, spit on the floor lifestyle. I would instead, be looking for an oceanfront house with private pool somewhere from south Kihei, south. There are several available that I drool over on a regular basis.

This is not to say I have anything against those that choose to stay at the FS, GW or the like. It's just not me and never will be.

TMI????????

Den

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

One of the many things that we love about Hawaii is that it's like our second home. We find it easier feeling that way in a condo. Having said that, most of our friends prefer the ammenities of resorts...different strokes for different folks. OK by us.

Arizona
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

There are all types of travelers....there are all types of vacations. I personally respect everyone's opinion or experience. Basically because it's THEIRS. Their likes and dislikes may not be in line with mine. To each his or her own! I find it very interesting to see how someone loved this or hated that. I received some rough treatment because I loved Lanai and hated the "road to Hana"...but that was just MY opinion and my taste. Me, I'll take a condo in a quiet section of town, without kids, with a washer and dryer and on the beach so I can walk out the front door and snorkel every day.....that's MY ideal vacation.....stay at a resort??? Not on your life....but those that do, I hope you have a beautiful experience and a wonderful time!!

East Setauket, NY
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

This will be our very first time my wife and I will have traveled to Hawaii (Oahu & Maui) and the resort aspect offers the amenities that we can use at our leisure although we will be spending most of our time off site ...either sightseeing or taking an excursion. That said, we both feel that when we do make that return trip we plan on renting a condo.

But since we are both 1st timers...if we want to be embelish in a little pampering it's there for us to enjoy.

To Each His Own!

san diego
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Resort" people v. Non-"Resort" People

This year, for the first time ever (in 23 years of marriage!) we stayed somewhere other than a condo. This was our 6th trip to the islands and usually we stay in condos, although we did stay in a house once, on the north shore of Oahu. We were on that timeshare deal through Starwood so we stayed at the Sheraton. All I can say is OMG, that was nice! I enjoyed every minute of it. An entire week of not cooking! Or making my bed! It didn't hurt that we left the kids at home for the first 5 days. On day six our kids joined us and we moved to a beautiful unit at the Hololani. Oceanfront and everything, but I still missed that resort feeling of the Sheraton. Who knows what we'll do next time. It is certainly less expensive to do the condo route, but more relaxing to go the resort route. I suppose it will depend on how we feel when we plan the next trip.

So, to each his own. Don't knock anything until you have tried it, and don't let any else's opinion of what you enjoy bother you. It's all good!