We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui versus Cancun

riverside,ca
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Maui versus Cancun

Well we've been to Maui two years in a row.Both times in August and stayed at the Hyatt! Loved it but everyone says we should change places so we dont get bored. We've been told try Cancun, so what s your opinions. Those of you that have been to both!Im ready to start planning our next vacation!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
371 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Maui versus Cancun

As a high school Spanish teacher, we take students to Mexico each year on a 9-day trip (which of course is way more work for us chaperones than play)

Though we start in Mexico City, I can't begin to tell you how excited they are to get to the Yucatan peninsula to see both Merida and Cancun with all the pyramids in between. It's awesome to see them climb the awesome pyramids each year we go. They also love the swimming in Tulum and the day at the Xel-ha water park is a definite highlight of the tour!

If you're not up to Cancun, you could always check other places nearby like Playa del Carmen and the Riviera Maya.

maui
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Maui versus Cancun

aloha. nothing beats maui unless it is kauai!! bypass cancun, go south for an hour to the charming town of playa del carmen. you can stay at the all inclusive rio at play car. maui blue warm water. great people and further south you have tullum and akumal

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Maui versus Cancun

Let's see - how about another opinion?? Aren't these forums great?!! Well, I have been to Maui, but actually prefer Kauai, so I would suggest as others for you to try another island or two in Hawaii . . . .each is unique and worth experiencing. During the summer, the North shore of Kauai has amazing water for snorkeling and some of the most gorgeous scenery on the planet! I also find it more affordable than Maui, but it's also much more rural and laid back. It also depends on what activities you like to do as well - you didn't mention that, and that may help you determine your next vacation spot as well. :)

I haven't stayed in Cancun, but have stayed on the wonderful little island, Isla Mujeres, which is a short ferry hop from Cancun. While I thorougly enjoyed our vacation there, it isn't Hawaii. The aloha spirit really makes Hawaii a unique and special place. The plus of Mexico - cheap food, the water is amazing and the white sand is incredible - not hot to your feet, even in the middle of the day. I loved the food, but I am not your AI type, and that's where many American's choose to stay . . . I like the variety of food all over and found the people to be kind and welcoming. And as others mentioned, there is also all the Mayan history, pyramids and various things that are unique and wonderful to explore. All that said . . . while the ocean is incredible, the scenery really isn't . . .it's rather flat scrub brush type country - yes, there are palm trees and such, but it's not anything like Hawaii . . .none of the fragrance wafting thru the air and it is simply much easier traveling to Hawaii - no currency changes, no dietary/water issues, passports, etc. Yes, I will go back to Mexico and I am sure you will find it worth exploring as well someday, but nothing holds my heart like Kauai . . . aloha! :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Maui versus Cancun

Truly Hawaii and Cancun are different. If it's a little more activity that you are looking for, why don't you try Waikiki? I assume you have children, soccermom, I know that your kids would love it. A little commercialized but then you can also rent a car and get away to quieter areas if need be.

Just an idea! Have a fun vacation.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
332 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Maui versus Cancun

I have been to both and I would always choose Hawaii over Cancun. As an earlier post suggested try a different island. The Big Island is an incredible place and has lots to offer.

If you're set on Mexico I would strongly suggest to stay somewhere out around Playa del Carmen instead of in Cancun itself. Cacun is so "Americanized" that you'll feel like you're at Newport Beach more than Mexico. Playa's crowds are significantly smaller and you can easily get off the beaten path and hit some great local restaraunts rather than just hanging out at Senor Frogs, KFC, etc.

That region of Mexico offers you the Ruins, the BI offers you the volcano. Both are magnficient.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Maui versus Cancun

I have been to Cancun once and would never return. The horrible poverty that you see as soon as you leave the resort area makes it hard to enjoy yourself - maybe it's guilt. And the diarrhea one gets from the bad food and water doesn't help either.

27. Re: Maui versus Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, August 24, 2009